Author Topic: Blue Badge Scheme  (Read 7067 times)

Offline COOPERMAN

• View Profile
Blue Badge Scheme
« on: Jun 29 2008, 11:12 AM »
Hi everyone

I have been away from this site for a while trying to sort out a lot of difficulties at work relating to my MD condition.

My local authority has recently rejected  my application for the Blue badge Scheme. They have twice sent back the standard type reply advising me to apply for DLA as this would include the Blue badge.

I am managing to hold down full time employment but feel some assistance with mobility would preserve my ability to continue working. I do not want to apply for DLA as I am managing well enough, but would welcome some assistance in getting around. Public transport in London, underground trains and busses are playing havoc with my sensitive hearing.

I have just raised this situation with my local councillor who is prepared to look into this for me. His question to me was, "Are you aware of any other MD sufferers who qualify with their local authority for the blue badge scheme" His approach would be that if it is recognised by say a neighbouring authority then that might set a precedent.

Has anyone here on this site been successful in qualifying for a blue badge?

Sorry to have returned to this forum with such a full on question, but any information would be much appreciated.

Regards

John

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Badge Scheme
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29 2008, 11:25 AM »
Hi

I qualify but that's because I receive DLA higher rate mobility allowance.  You don't automatically qualify for Blue Badges unless you are awarded the higher rate mobility.  Have you tried to get your GP to support your application because authorities are often persuaded by a letter from a doctor and I've known several people get blue badges in these circumstances. 

Good luck
Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

barbara

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29 2008, 02:40 PM »
Hi John,
It is only higher rate Mobility DLA that counts. Low mobility does not help and if you are managing to catch tubes I doubt if you would get the higher rate. However there are people who have proved their need and been awarded one so worth trying. As Chris said your GP might help. The fact that you are traveling across London might also help as the escalators and busy platforms are difficult to cope with.
Good Luck
Barbara

ManiloonySally

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29 2008, 04:52 PM »
Hi John

I get the lower rate DLA so i don't qualify, but i have got my form to fill in but will need my doctor's support, i will let you know wha happens.

Sally

Offline COOPERMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29 2008, 06:12 PM »
Thank you all for your response.

It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it. I really do struggle on a daily basis particularly on the underground network. My partner assists me at times when our work schedules are the same which is helpfull and reassuring. On days when I have to travel alone it becomes very stressfull as your confidence is affected just in case you might have a spinning attack or even just the feeling of one. There are so many other factors to cope with associated with trains and public transport.

It is without question, that my mobility is affected albeit intermittently.
It is certainly not encouraging to receive the blanket type of response  from the authority's when we are all individuals and should be Judged upon our specific needs.

The last thing I ever want to do is pack up working as the daily routine is what I feel keeps me going.

I'll have to keep plugging away.

Thanks to you all.

regards
John

Offline KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07 2008, 06:30 AM »
Hi John

I have just submitted my BB application, currently receive no DLA (application also pending) so am not automatically entitled to a BB pertaining to higher mobility rate.  My GP is supporting my application, but has cited my auto-immune condition as primary benchmark, but has listed MD evidence too.

My GP is less that hopeful on my application to be honest, and they may well request more information from consultants etc, I'll let you know the outcome of course. 

Best wishes
Karen

pink

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07 2008, 03:54 PM »
hello there
      I applied for my blue badge I get incapcity beecause I have other problems besides MD and middle rate care lower rate mobility I had doctors letters but they sent me the same standard letter you recieved get higher rate mobility then we can issue you with one thats all well and good but it is  hard enough getting DLA in the first place I dont know maybe we should get a pettion going and let these people know how hard this illness is to live with
all keep well
pink

ManiloonySally

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07 2008, 04:43 PM »
I agree Pink.. i get lower rate mobility, but they said i didnt qualify for any care component!  well they should see us when we can't move and crawl to the toilet or simply lie on the bathroom floor... it makes me so mad!!

Sally

Offline KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18 2008, 06:57 PM »
Just to let you all know, I have had more forms from my local authority for the BB scheme, requesting more information, which my GP filled in today, it read like a food menu of medical disasters!

Will it be successful, who knows, soon as I know, will post here.

Wish me luck!

Karen

Offline malone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21 2008, 01:47 PM »
Hi John

Just wanted to chip in quickly to say that I understand what you mean about travelling on the trains and tubes as that is what I have to do too and it's a nightmare.  I've changed my hours so that I avoid the rush hours which are the worst.  And as for those new moving advertising boards on the underground walls... well I don't know who's idiotic idea that was but obviously they're not an MD sufferer!  And there's even one right at the bottom of an escalator at Embankment station... it's so disorientating!  What a stupid place to put one!

I don't know anything about the BB scheme but I've heard of something called "Access to Work" which is supposed to help people with disabilities stay working. 

I think it works by paying for any alterations your employer has to make to allow you to continue to work with your disability.  I'm sure I've read somewhere that that includes helping you out in travelling to and from work.  So, if travelling on public transport aggravates your symptoms, your employer has to pay to get you into work another way (e.g. a taxi perhaps).  Your employer can then claim back the cost of that from "Access to Work".  Have no idea how it works exactly but maybe it's worth looking into that?

Take care,
Miranda
x

Offline COOPERMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21 2008, 10:19 PM »
Hi Miri

you are right about access to work - although I have not mentioned this to my employer yet as I have had almost two years battling with them to apply "reasonable adjustment". I have taken them to an Employment Tribunal for disability discrimination, so under the circumstances I can't see them getting me a taxi.

Besides that I would prefer not to depend on anyone else for mobility. Qualifying for the Blue badge scheme would help enormously as the underground is torture at the moment. Travelling off peak would help but making the hours up would be difficult. Nobody likes driving / commuting at the best of times, but I would much prefer being in your own space in a vehicle than on the underground. My hearing is so sensitive it hell on the tube. I haven't come across those moving advertisements yet, it's enough coping with the pa system and chequered floor tiles at Kings Cross let alone anything else.

Take care

John