meniere

Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 6830 times)

Offline yvonne

• View Profile
Holidays
« on: Sep 08 2003, 10:25 AM »
Hi all,
I think I've caught up with all the posts from the last week. I've been away on holiday and it was great. We went to West Wales for the week and I 've come home feeling as if I 've really had a holiday. We hired a caravan so that if I had an off day I could stay home and do nothing and I did have a couple of mildly dizzy days when I just sat and admired the scenery (well worth admiring) but the sun shone, the sky was blue and the walking on footpaths was plentiful and well within my capabilities. Also it was quiet. Crowds of people upset me as much as anything and there weren't any. A great improvement on last year's holiday when I felt as if I wasn't really there for the whole of the time. I was rather worried about going away this year so I am quite a relieved.  I would recommend the area to anyone. I think I've written this because I am so relieved. I can still enjoy a holidaythank heaven. Isn't it ridiculous to get so worked up about something and nothing.

Thanks for the opportunity to let off steam and reduce the pressure.
Yvonne

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09 2003, 10:18 PM »
HI Yvonne ,
I feel the same too.I get really worked up about going but once I'm there the relaxation seems to melt away the MD and everything else.I was panicstricken about doing my first ferry crossing since MD but it was OK so long as I did what I usually do(bad on boats before this anyway!) and go up top.
Now I'm back  and had a massive attack last night and it's all rainy :(((

Elaine

Offline yvonne

• View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11 2003, 03:58 PM »
Hello Elaine,
Sorry to hear you had a bad attack. Hope you're feeling better now and that it hasn't undone all the good your holiday did. I went shopping this morning and felt quite drunk all the time I was out. Heaven only knows what I bought. I haven't unpacked it yet. thought I'd leave it till I felt a bit more with it.

Best wishes
Yvonne

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11 2003, 08:36 PM »
Yes thanx Yvonne.I was very wobbly the next day but I'm not as bad now -it's this damn wet weather,it always sets me off!

Elaine

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15 2003, 08:37 AM »
I've just been away for the weekend in Manchester.  The last two times I've been a passenger on a long car journey I've started off fine.  Then after about half an hour I start to feel very dizzy when the car slows down, especially if we have to slow down to queue like we did on the M6 on Saturday.  I've never experienced this before.  The first time I thought this is probably a one off but as it's happened again I wondered if anyone else has problems like this.  When I got to the other end my balance was quite unsteady and head movements made me dizzier.  This lasted for several hours and I had to repeat it all again on the way home. :cry:
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline jackie

• View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15 2003, 09:59 AM »
Hi Christina,
I get travel sick all the time, and it has been much worse since having inner ear trouble.  From what I have been able to find out I believe it is part of the migraine element of the dizziness and vertigo I get.  It fits with Migraine Assopciated Vertigo - the susceptibility to travel sickness being lifelong, and then being very motion intolerant.  One thing I find helps with that is Stugeron (if you are able to tolerate it, as some people can't) as it is also a calcium channnel blocker so it helps with migraine-type headaches too.  I find it more effective for motion sickness than Stemetil, especially when the journey is long.  The only thing is it can make me feel quite drowsy so I don't take much of it - recently I found that half a tableet worked just as well for me with less in the way of side-effects.
Best wishes
Jackie

Anonymous

Holidays
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15 2003, 01:33 PM »
Hi Jackie
Thanks for your advice about the Stugeron.  I used to take it regularly at the start of this illness, prescribed by my consultant.  Like you I found it made me quite drowsy, but I think I'll try it again for long distance travel.  It's interesting about the migraine associated vertigo.  I think it's definitely a possibility with me.  If you have it, does it make your balance unsteady all the time like mine?  I invariably get a bad headache whilst on a car journey.  However, if I have a headache the dizziness isn't as bad, without the headache I'm much dizzier.  Weird. :wink:

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15 2003, 01:37 PM »
Sorry Jackie, the above message is from me.  I have a mental block about logging on. :oops:

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15 2003, 01:48 PM »
HI Christina,

I never used to be motion sick until about 6 months after the MD started.My mum lent me some Seabands which she'd bought for a boat journey.I was a bit sceptical at first but they worked.Now I don't go anywhere without them.I was prescribed sturgeron by my MD doc for my recent ferry trip to France but found that they were out of date when I got on my journey and had to rely on the seabands which worked! In a kids testing panel for travel sickness remedies in my magazine they got top vote as they are the only remedy that doesn't have side effects.I even use them when I am going anywhere that might make me anxious etc in case it triggers an attack.They keep me calm and are brill!
Hope this helps,
Elaine

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15 2003, 01:51 PM »
PS The motion sickness does fit with the MAV element but my MD doc said it was bound to happen if my ears are all messed up inside.I have noticed that when I feel great(particularly after my ear drum recently perforated and I had no pressure or dizziness in the affected ear) that I have no motion sickness either   :D

Elaine

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15 2003, 03:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip Elaine.  I believe I've got some seabands in a drawer upstairs.  Worth a try I guess, especially when the travel sickness feeling lasts for so long afterwards.  I remember suffering from it as a child too.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15 2003, 03:16 PM »
PS  Has anyone suffering from MAV been treated for the migraine side of things and found it greatly improved their vertigo and dizziness.  I would be really interested as I've never tried any treatment specifically for this type of vertigo.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15 2003, 05:42 PM »
HI CHristina,

I was sceptical too and even thought it was all in my mind so left them off one day and felt instantly pukey! It's a cheaper drug free option  -go and dig them out  :lol:
Haven't tried any migraine meds but I believe that Elavil(amiltriptyline)is good(according to the US MD group!)

Elaine

Offline jackie

• View Profile
Holidays/MAV
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15 2003, 07:27 PM »
(a bit long)
>It's interesting about the migraine associated vertigo. I think it's definitely a possibility with me. If you have it, does it make your balance unsteady all the time like mine? I invariably get a bad headache whilst on a car journey. However, if I have a headache the dizziness isn't as bad, without the headache I'm much dizzier. Weird.  <

Actually that fits very well with MAV symptoms, because headache is the migraine part of the picture but with MAV it comes out as vertigo and dizziness instead, so when you have a headache there isn't so much dizziness and possibly none at all, but when it shows itself as dizziness the headaches are not present.  There are no hard and fast rules of course but generally that is what happens and that's why it is so difficult to find out if migraine is causing the symptoms, because dizziness is the only apparent experience and the headaches can be a lot milder than the common type of migraine.  Another things that points to MAV is that there is usually no hearing loss.  When you put all those things together then it points to MAV but is by no means conclusive.  It's not so easy to diagnose but according to people who deal with this sort of thing it is the single most common cause of dizziness being misdiagnosed as Menieres.  I think the US tends to be further forward in looking at MAV than we do here, although I think the UK is catching up.  

Yes, my most uncomfortable symptom above all others is constant imbalance, nausea and dizziness of some type on a daily basis, although at times that is not as bad as it sounds.  I have long bad patches (nearly always worse in spring and autumn, with no connection to pollen either) lasting weeks or months at a time with daily fluctuations.  Like today for example, where I wanted to go out but couldn't until nearly 4pm because of feeling dizzy and sickly.  But I did get out, and that's the important part.  Anyway, it is a disequilibrium rather than falling-down-imbalance or vertigo.  When still I feel as though I am moving and it is difficult to sit for long in situations like meetings etc.  I wonder if that is the kind of thing you get too.

>PS Has anyone suffering from MAV been treated for the migraine side of things and found it greatly improved their vertigo and dizziness. I would be really interested as I've never tried any treatment specifically for this type of vertigo.<

I was put on a preventive last year but it made me ill from the side-effects .....:-(  but I have tried Rizatriptan and that does help at times and yes, my overall impression is that the dizziness is better too.  However, because I find tablets rarely agree with me I am looking at just avoiding the triggers I have so far found - about 14 of them, including nearly all the 'red' fruits.  I can get away with small amounts of cheese and chocolate - also aspartame was very bad for me, made me very ill.

Better stop now or this will be a book.
Best wishes
Jackie

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15 2003, 08:27 PM »
Hi again Jackie

It's interesting to talk to someone with similar symptoms to me.  My hearing is brilliant - it's the chronic dizziness that's my main problem plus the disequilibrium and I have pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear.  I have never been told my headaches are migraines and I have been reluctant to call them that.  However, they tend to build during the day reaching a peak by late afternoon/early evening.  Dizziness is there but tends not to be too bad.  There is no aura just pain mainly in the right side opposite to my bad ear!  Like you I find it very difficult to sustain stillness, much better when moving.  I have been told this is due to vestibular occular reflex problems but I religiously do the exercises to improve this and symptoms persist!  Sitting in a pub or cafe or having dinner out is a real problem to me because I have to sit in one position for longer than I like.  In fact my sitting balance is less good than my standing balance.  I am now sitting with seabands on my wrists just to see if there is any difference.  I don't often feel sick but I thought the same acupressure point might help with dizziness - as yet no joy!  I'll persevere for a while yet though.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline tricia

• View Profile
Treatments for Migraine
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15 2003, 09:47 PM »
Hi Christina

I have attacks of bad migrane like headaches (at the back of my head) for about a week before the rest of the MD symptoms kick in with the usual rotational vertigo, nausea ,ear pressure and tinnitus and I take Paramax which helps me greatly but makes me very sleepy.  I have menieres disease but by trial an error have found over the last few months that they help me to recover much more quickly during an MD attack and stop the nausea quickly.  I am allergic to most anti-nausea drugs but find that I can take the metoclopramide hydrochloride in this form but not on its own.  Last time I ended up with hives after only one table of metoclopramide hydrochloride on its own.  Over the last few months I have started taking a paramax if my vertigo is bad and it really helps but makes me sleepy but usually I find I need to lie down anyway.

I have no hearing loss yet in my left ear but my ENT surgeon says I do have MD regardless.  Neurology say I have migrane as well as MD.

I know this does not answer your question but I see my new GP on Wednesday so I might ask about taking something to stop the cycle of migranes and see how my MD settles at the same time since the Paramax has worked so well.

I had not made the connection so thanks for highlighting this.

Best Wishes

Tricia

Offline jackie

• View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15 2003, 10:57 PM »
Hi Christina,
Has anyone done any investigation of the pulsatile tinnitus?  There are many things that could cause it, some serious and most not.  

http://www.rnid.org.uk/html/factsheets/tin_pulsatile.htm

http://www.northcoast.com/~hoffmand/xpulse.htm

http://www.tinnitus-audiology.com/articles/pulse.htm

I don't get pulsatile tinnitus but I do get the ordinary type (hissing and sounding like a whistling kettle) and I rarely get an aura either, just some squiggly light things that look like bright paisley patterns on rare occasions.  I was told that it was so seldom as to be not meaningful in migraine terms.  

I did the exercises too and still didn't make sufficient improvement to return to work, and my VOR is also up the creek.  Yes, I have the exact same problems with going to cafes etc - my parents took years to understand why I hated the thought of sitting in a restaurant, it was like an ordeal to me than a pleasure.  I still go with them but often have to leave before they have finished, so I can be moving.  It's hard to explain that to others!  

The seabands do help some people although they made no difference to me, unfortunately.  There is a link below for MAV which you might find useful.

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/central/migraine/mav.html
Best wishes
Jackie

Anonymous

Holidays
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16 2003, 08:17 AM »
Hi Jackie

Yes, I have frightened myself worrying about the possible causes of pulsatile tinnitus having read the possible serious nature of it.  However, when I have raised my concerns with my consultant and my GP they pretty much dismiss it as 'just one of those things'.  I have had 2 MRIs in the past and they assure me anything sinister would have been detected.  It's also interesting that I only hear the noise when lying down, turning my head to the left or putting my head down.  Doctors have listened with a stethoscope to my carotid but they say it is not objective noise.  So I'm left with it being idiopathic and no-one can explain why I suddenly developed it.  Maybe my hearing pathways have just become over sensitised - who knows.   :roll:

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16 2003, 08:19 AM »
Ooops, done it again!!

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Holidays
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18 2003, 04:10 PM »
Hehe Christina.  :lol:
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.