meniere

Author Topic: drop attacks  (Read 3998 times)

terence

drop attacks
« on: Sep 12 2003, 05:04 PM »
:roll: I have what's been described to me as peripheral vestibular dysfunction with permanent lesion in  left ear, which gives me the tinnitus, dizzy spells and nausea constantly, and I am still working through Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises after 8 months and have a little progress in compensating but not much. alongside tese problems I have suden drop attacks, random falls or collapses, I cannot tell when  I am about to fall, but I do get hot and flushed which sometime accompany the symptoms of dizziness, sudden rushing movements, in the street, cars flashing by, people in a crowd going past me, and particularly shelving displays in stores are disturbing. Does anyone have the similar occurrences?

Offline lady dumbledore

• View Profile
drop attacks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12 2003, 08:02 PM »
hi terence  :D  

ive had 3 drop attacks in the last year, one at home one at work and one in the city centre  :oops: . I didnt get any warning before the attacks and i didnt feel any different to how i normally feel during a wobbly spell. to me they are one of the most frightening things about MD, i now find myself being ultra cautious crossing roads etc.

Lady D  8)
I used up all my sick days so i called in dead!

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
drop attacks
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12 2003, 08:06 PM »
I've experienced everything except drops attacks. I get sudden attacks without warning but I always have a minute or two to get somewhere safe. From what I understand of drop attacks you are on the floor without any warning so I'm glad I have not had one. Sorry, I wish I could help.  :(
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline jackie

• View Profile
drop attacks
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14 2003, 11:40 AM »
Hi Terence -
As Alec said, 'classic' drop attacks (Tumarkin's otolithic crises, if you want to look them up on the Net) are without any warning.  On another group I have heard those who have had them describe drop attacks as 'one minute I was OK and the next I was on the floor, as if someone had just pushed me down to the floor' and then afterwards, apart from being a bit shaken up by the attack, the person was able to carry on as if nothing had happened - in other words, no after-effects.  There is usually no dizziness, either.  Which makes me wonder if what you are describing is more akin to visual disturbances causing brief periods of imbalance and vertigo sufficient to make you lose your balance and fall.  There can be other causes of attacks which are similar eg circulatory problems, and these should be ruled out by your GP.  If it is due to the sudden imbalance it is a very nasty experience and having had similar things in the past I can sympathise with how ill it can make you feel.

If you would like to read more about drop attacks there are sites which describe them in detail:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/central/drop.html

http://www.menieresinfo.com/info-symptoms.html  (scroll down)

http://www.balance-and-dizziness.com/tumarkin.htm
Best wishes
Jackie

barbara

drop attacks
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14 2003, 10:19 PM »
I too have had drop attacks, some of them very violent :roll: . I have been thrown back in chairs and into walls as well as being deposited onto the floor. As Jackie has said they tend to be much shorter, only minutes but I had after effects too. I couldn't always just pick myself up and carry on and just like after major vertigo attacks it could take a while for me to stabilise well enough to walk.

Offline Donna Allen

• View Profile
Re: drop attacks
« Reply #5 on: May 23 2012, 10:38 AM »
Hi all,

I've just got over a severe attack of MD, still recovering to be honest.
I woke one morning with a stiff neck, later that day I was feeling a little unsteady then before I knew it...drop attack!!
I had them daily for 5 weeks, as the days went on the worst they were and more frequent in the day! :(
They are scary, I feared of hurting myself that it got to a point I had to hold onto everything to walk because they just happen!!
Went to see my consultant yesterday in a hope that he would say that I would never get them again but he cant :( The only positive is that in the past I've always felt a little unsteady and thats when they start.
I were diagnosed with my menieres because of these drops, at least now I know what to expect and when they start again I'll take time out until they cease and not to be alone until a week after they cease. So anyone else experience these drops do be careful..

Much love to you all
Donna xxx