Author Topic: problems at dentist  (Read 7079 times)

Offline jinny

• Visitor
    • View Profile
problems at dentist
« on: Jun 17 2009, 09:54 AM »
Hi

does anyone else have problems laying flat in the dentist chair ?
I feel really disorientated after treatment and I find even when I
explain my illness to them they take very little notice. They make
me feel as if I'm the only person in the world that can't lay  flat.
I've just got back feeling wobbly and upset.Tell me I'm not on my own !!

best wishes
jinny

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: problems at dentist
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hi Jinny

You are definitely not on your own.  Laying flat in the dentist's chair is a problem for lots of people with a balance problem.  Plus, I find it's not just a question of lying horizontal, they actually position you with head slightly down, which is much worse I think and can cause increased dizziness.  I find it very difficult to tolerate it too and I'm sure there are other forum members who will agree.

It's a shame they won't listen to what you are telling them though - it is possible to do some procedures without laying you flat depending where it is in your mouth and sometimes routine check ups can be done in a more upright position.  Sounds like your dentist isn't very switched on to MD problems - might be worth thinking of making more of a fuss or changing dentists.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

constanlydizzy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17 2009, 10:53 AM »
Hi Jinny

You are certainly not on your own with this one. I was at the dentist a couple of weeks ago and I don't like it at all. I get really worked up and panicky before I even get there and getting in and out of the chair and the tilting and movement makes me feel awful. Luckily no treatment this time so not as bad as it could have been. I agree they don't seem to know what you are talking about when you mention M.D but at least I get "don't get out of the chair until you feel ok to do so".

Also, is it just me but I always find that on the days I've got an appointment or made plans to go somewhere I always feel so much worse than on days when I know I can just stay at home. I sometimes think I can almost make myself even more unbalanced just by worrying about doing things.

Best wishes
Julie

Offline jinny

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17 2009, 03:18 PM »
hi Chris and Julie
thanks for your replies, feel a bit better now

nice to know I'm not on my own
it really puts me off going but you just
have to don't you ?

regards
jinny

ManiloonySally

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17 2009, 06:26 PM »
Jinny, i also hate it and my dentist is not supportive at all.  I had a bridge re-done last year and i hated every second of being tipped back then up for impressions then back etc.. plus i find the drill sends my head very spinny, and the other thing is, because i am worked up about going, i feel trapped in the chair and know i can't simply leave if i feel bad, once they have started.  I just wish i could find a supportive dentist  :(

Sally

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17 2009, 06:49 PM »
I have the same problem with the drill as you Sally - it sends my head spinny.  I hate it.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

barbara

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17 2009, 07:04 PM »
I am lucky that my dentist is supportive. I don't go back with the chair. She tells me when she is going to put it back and then I lay back afterwards. I only have to raise my hand during treatent and she stops. Doesn't solve all the problms but it certainly helps.
Barbara

Offline wootywoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18 2009, 07:49 PM »
Hi Jinny, i also have major dizziness on lying flat in the dentist's chair, with drilling etc, but i have to say i'm really impressed with my dentist, he was already well aware of meniere's and always checks how i'm feeling, keeps me informed how much longer to go, lowers the chair first so i can lie down in my own time, it makes a big difference that i can feel relaxed.  I don't know about you but i'm usually best first thing in the morning before i start getting tired so they always give me an early appointment. Having said all this, i still hate going to the dentist and need to lie down as soon as i get home because it always brings on some spinning later on, however considerate the dentist is.