meniere

Author Topic: 1st attack in years  (Read 4319 times)

Offline helen m

• View Profile
1st attack in years
« on: Jul 21 2009, 03:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

I got diagnosed with MD bout 6 years ago, caused through a weakness of having my blessed tonsils out,. I've not had an attack in i guess almost 2 years as been keeping it under control with diet.  Because it has been so long since my last attack, can someone tell me the stages of an actual attack and how long each ones normally last, as i go on holiday in 5 weeks and cant remember if i am at the tail end of it.  Ive had the rocking sensation and my Gp has given my cyclizine to stop me from vomiting, ive still got the ringing in my ears but the worse bit of all is that my ear feels so full. My GP has said that i've got to let nature take it's course and the air blockage will move on it's own accord, but i still feel really off balance and have had to leave work to lie down - any help would be fab xxx

ManiloonySally

Re: 1st attack in years
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21 2009, 06:11 PM »
Hi helen,

Do you mean what stage with the MD are you at?  If you are trying to find out when you will get over this particular attack, that is almost impossible to say as everyone varies.  If i have an attack, i could get over it in a couple of days, or it could take a couple of weeks, or a couple of months, it is impossible to say truthfully.  I find it impossible to book things in advance at the moment, as mine is particularly bad with hardly any let up, i was planning a holiday, but am giving it a miss now, until my symptoms calm down.

I hope things settle soon.

Sally

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22 2009, 11:15 AM »
Helen

Sounds like you had a good period of remission and now it's impossible to say what your pattern of attacks will take after this last one.  Just keep on doing what you were and hope this one passes off soon.  The aftermath of attacks can be variable in length as Sally says and you may feel off balance for many weeks until the brain compensates.

Hope you feel better soon.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline helen m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22 2009, 05:23 PM »
Thanks Sally and Chris, is it natural to feel so tired after an attack? got sent home from work yesterday, slept for 5 hours, had something to eat then slept again for another 10 hours which so isnt me.  Feel better today, cyclizne are starting to work, managed to walk to the papershop on my own though i was very unsteady and my ear is still ringing and feels "Full" I felt i had to start walking as soon as i could as i remember from my last attack, the longer i left going out, thats when the panic attacks started.  I know what has triggered the attacks off - my last one was 19 months ago when i found i was being made redundant, this time round, i have been working longer hours, training to do the sheffield 10k and generally over the last 3 weeks been eating crap.  I've kept it under control for this long, hopefully this wont knock me back again x

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22 2009, 06:45 PM »
Is it natural to feel tired after an attack?   yes, I think so, it's a shattering experience, or at least that's my take on it.
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22 2009, 07:22 PM »
If you've been taking cyclizine I'm not surprised you're feeling so tired - it's a powerful drug, highly sedating.

Chris x

Offline helen m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22 2009, 09:17 PM »
What does the cyclizine do? Got it prescribed when 1st diagnosed and was told to use it as soon as an attack started. Also Is there such things as "cluster " attacks?? Apart from the obvious stress which caused bad attacks, I find daft things set the minor attacks off - i.e, I used to sit on a swivel chair in work prior to having attacks, took that out of the equation and sat on a stand alone chair and have been fine in work for 8 hours a day, i can go to florida and alton towers and go on rollercoasters no problem, get me on a childs swing and bam i'm gone. Sorry for all these questions guys, it's just that going this long without an attack has raised loads of questions x

Offline wootywoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22 2009, 09:47 PM »
Hi Helen, welcome to the forum. I get exhausted for days following an attack although i take stemitil not cyclizine and it only seems to cause slight drowsiness.

I just wondered whether you've been told there's a link between having your tonsils out and MD, as you said it was caused by having yours out.  I was plagued with tonsilitis all through my childhood and then accute tonsilitis through my 20's and early 30's (it finally stopped as soon as i became vegan) - my MD started at age 25.

Hope you feel better soon, Lisa x

Offline helen m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23 2009, 10:30 AM »
Hi Lisa, yep, the consultant at the hospital said that my MD was caused through having my tonsils out (wish they had pre- warned me of this). For years i suffered from quinzys on the right of my throat, hospital has said that it has left a permanent weakness on that side, hence, when i get run down where most people get colds, my balance just goes as that is my weekest spot. x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23 2009, 11:57 AM »
Hi Helen

Cyclizine is an antihistamine drug used to treat nausea, vomiting and motion sickness.  It is often used post-operatively too.  Along with all antihistamines, this drug commonly causes drowsiness and there is no doubt you will feel tired and sleepy when you take it.  Rarely too, one of the side effects is also dizziness - swings and roundabouts eh!  Sorry, probably not the best choice of words there!!

Chris x

Offline helen m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24 2009, 07:00 PM »
Went back to docs yesterday as keen to go back to work asap - GP was fantastic, confirmed my last full blown attack was 2.5 years ago!!!. he had a good look in my bad ear and has said that it is clear, no infection, just a bit of fluid.  He thinks that this time round, it was actually labrythitis which is viral, got to keep taking the cyzline for another few days, steaming myself (fullness gradually going) and should be back to normal 7/10 days... fingers crossed xx

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25 2009, 12:45 PM »
Hi Helen

I really hope your GP is right about your last attack.  I am not sure how he can be so certain it's labs though, given your history.  Anyway, fingers crossed for you and your start back to work. 

Chris x

ManiloonySally

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25 2009, 03:26 PM »
Hi Helen,

I thought the same as Chris, but didn't know whether to say or not, i hope he is right and that you get better soon :)

Sally

Offline helen m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25 2009, 08:42 PM »
I know, deep down i think it is MD, but with me going so long without an attack for once i hope the doctor is right. xx