Author Topic: vertigo nightmares??  (Read 2013 times)

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« on: Oct 06 2003, 03:11 PM »
Hello all,

I have something that distresses me greatly and I know it is something to do with my MD but can't work out what is happening. It is always irrational and even funny in daylight but can be quite terrifying in the night. You all know the horrible feeling vertigo gives you when you are lying down and you feel as though someone is pushing you  forcefully into the floor! :twisted:  The trouble is that because I am asleep my brain incorporates it into a nightmare. I wake up screaming that someone is strangling me and shouting for help. I feel that I am having the life squeezed out of me. The strangest dream was that I was at the top of a high spiral staircase where there was a man spinning plates on a cane. For some crazy reason I was forced to get on top of the plate despite my screams and protests about how I would fall. With that I dreamt that I toppled off and fell down the stairwell screaming and shouting so loud that my husband said I would wake the street up.  :oops: What a ridiculous person I am! Seriously, I think what may be happening is that I am turning over on to my back while asleep and it is causing vertigo rather like in BPPV. My brain tries to make sense of what is happening and gets it all wrong! It doesn't happen every night or even every week but I feel so stupid! Could it be BPPV??

Lizzy
It is always darkest before the dawn!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06 2003, 07:19 PM »
Hi Lizzie

It must be very scary waking up like that!  Sounds just like you say though, maybe you are turning over and sending yourself into a spin.  It is possible to have MD and BPPV but you would probably have BPPv symptoms at other times too not just at night.  Do you get dizzy with particular head movements and does it just last for a short time.  It could be that what you experience at night is just part of the MD.  Maybe too you experience it most when you are in a lighter part of sleep when you're dreaming.
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06 2003, 09:12 PM »
I daresay it looks hilarious to anyone else, but it really is very frightening. I have never been able to tolerate sudden movements of my head since having MD so maybe I turn over too quickly or something. Sometimes it is so realistic that I have to put the light on to make sure no-one else is there. I haven't ever been a nervous faint-hearted sort but it is so realistic at the time!

Lizzy

Offline DavidC

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07 2003, 03:16 PM »
Hi Lizzy!  In my early years of MD, the very worst attacks of vertigo came after I had fallen asleep.  I used to naively assume that once you closed the eyes and went to sleep you might have a few hours respite.  Silly boy! The attacks would always wake me, rather than turn into nightmares.  But since MD is something of a waking nightmare, I can quite understand that it would also turn sleep into hell as well. I do sympathise.  Do you get the nightmares every night? Might the occasional temazipan give you a bit of respite?  I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe them now, (and rightly so), but the odd one can't do a lot of harm. For a period I was also on the anti-depressant dothiepin (also called prothieden) and this produced quite pleasant dreams, although it also left you feeling tired and yawny during the day.
Nowadays, when trying to get off to sleep against the prevailing tinnitus I try to imagine myself having a bath with Liz Hurley, but after about 30 seconds  i seem to end up thinking about my tax return. Must be my puritan childhood!   Anyway, sweet dreams!  And I mean that!  DavidC

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07 2003, 05:07 PM »
Thanks David!

During my very active spell last year I did have attacks in the night that woke me up. I used to go crawling to the bathroom leaving a trail behind me and sit on the floor with my head over the loo for hours! These nightmares aren't in fact vertigo attacks as such as they subside as soon as I sit up and I am not sick, diarrhoea etc as in spinning attacks. Fortunately I don't have them every night but I am great dreamer! I always dream  and can usually remember my dreams when I wake up. They are mostly ridiculous things to dream! I am on a small dose of antiseizure drug Epilim which it was discovered stopped my attacks. This was quite by accident during an attack of shingles. I also have Amitriptyline 10/20 mg at night to help me sleep because I  have Fibromyalgia  as well as MD. I have been on it long before MD. Dothiepin is also given for Fibromyalgia and I did have it at one time but it started to give me unpleasant dreams. Sometimes I think I am going crazy! Still, the people on this support group help keep things in proportion for me thank goodness,

Lizzy

Offline DavidC

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08 2003, 11:02 AM »
Hello Lizzy!   No,none of us are going crazy!  It just feels like it because an MD attack destroys all the solid points of reference on which  our experience of life is based. Vertigo totally undermines your confidence in reality and makes you question the very nature of your own existence.
But of course during an attack in public we often look crazy to the onlooker.  I have a German friend in Hamburg with very bad MD, which often occurs on the way to work on the Hamburg underground. The only advantage is that she rapidly gets a compartment to herself as all the other passengers back off in alarm! Not many good Samaratins around these days!  DavidC.

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08 2003, 05:08 PM »
Tee Hee! :lol:  I thought there must be a plus somewhere! I am sure you are right. The poor old brain tries to make some kind of sense out of what is happening and of course there isn't any! It doesn't relate to anything.

Lizzy

Offline jackie

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10 2003, 09:45 AM »
Hi Lizzy,
I would suggest reading as much as you can about BPPV to see if the symptoms match your own.  Vertigo at night can accompany both MD and other inner ear disorders as well as BPPV, but the main difference is that with BPPV the attacks of short bursts of vertigo are almost always motion connected whereas with something like MD they are spontaneous, ie they may start when movement initiates them but then the full-blown attack develops and persists.  With BPPV the attack is short and dies away within a few minutes, after the person has moved the head or gone from lying to sitting or vice-versa.  For more info see

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

"The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common "problem" motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called "top shelf vertigo." Women with BPPV may find that the use of shampoo bowls in beauty parlors brings on symptoms. An intermittent pattern is common. BPPV may be present for a few weeks, then stop, then come back again."
Best wishes
Jackie

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
vertigo nightmares??
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10 2003, 02:47 PM »
Hi Jackie,

This is very familiar. I do have these BPPV type problems but of course I have MD too. I have been discharged by the hospital as I haven't had any big 'V' attacks since October last year. They don't give a damn that my hearing is progressively going downhill. Very deaf in my left ear and very dull in the right. I also have tinnitus in both ears. Ah well! My hope is that it will resolve itself. It isn't a huge problem in comparison to the awful attacks I was having before, but the nightmares aren't nice!

Lizzy