Author Topic: "Questions, questions" Radio 4 on 24th Dec p.m.  (Read 1175 times)

Kath

"Questions, questions" Radio 4 on 24th Dec p.m.
« on: Dec 29 2009, 11:21 AM »
Anyone else catch the piece about vertigo on "Questions, Questions" on Radio 4 on 24th Dec? If so did you also find it as annoying as I did?

It was only a 5/10 min piece but it was answering the question 'why do we get vertigo when going up a ladder on in a high place?". They had a professor on from Southampton University(?)I think and interviewed some trapeze artists. At the end of the piece the interviewer asked the prof where you should go if you need anymore information and she said to go to the Menieres Society website. They didn't even say what Menieres was!
Probably me just being grumpy but I thought it was all so superficial and just gave the impression that vertigo was something that you go when you went up ladders or went on the top of tall buildings.

Offline marie

• View Profile
Re: "Questions, questions" Radio 4 on 24th Dec p.m.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30 2009, 01:07 PM »
thats what everyone thinks till they really get vertigo ( i know i did )wait till they fall off flat ground,

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30 2009, 02:01 PM »

Didn't hear the show but the number of people who say 'Oh vertigo, I get that' when I try to explain the symptoms.
Actually what I hear is 'I am so desperate for this to be something within my sphere of understanding that I'm going to fly in the face of logic and belittle your plight by comparing the fact that I get a bit uncomfortable when I am high up to the constant fear of the sudden loss of control of your body and it's functions and the resulting debilitating loss of control over your life that it appears you have'.

Big Jessies the lot of em.
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

Offline Michael C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30 2009, 09:45 PM »
Hi Kath

I have listened to the programme on the BBC I-Player, and it is just the usual claptrap you get around Christmas to fill a space in the broadcasting schedule.  The reference to The Menieres Society web page at the end of the piece, by the learned Prof, seemed completely out of context, as there was no mention of MD in the broadcast.  My guess is that that was down to lack of time and poor editing.
Wouldn't it be really refreshing to have an informed programme on MD just to set the record straight for the great unwashed who are not aware of what it means to suffer from MD.

I hope you are well and wish everyone on the Forum a very happy and healthy 2010.

Best wishes

Michael x :)