Author Topic: balance  (Read 9418 times)

Offline marie

• View Profile
balance
« on: Apr 20 2010, 03:44 PM »
 ??? I am wonder if anyone can be of help to me sorry i only seem to come on when i need help and not to tell all the good things when standing the other day i noticed i moved slightly without trying to best way to explain is in a film a frame disappeared from the picture if you can get my drift has anyone gone through this or have i finally flipped it and its time for men in white coats to take me away.. i am worried about this as its happened a few times with me ..

SHARON

Re: balance
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20 2010, 07:02 PM »
Sorry Marie
I don't understand what you are trying to say ???
Unless I'm being particularly thick today, I think you need to explain in a bit clearer detail exactly what happened
Sharon

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21 2010, 10:03 AM »
Hi Marie

Do you mean things seemed to jerk or move within your field of vision?  If so, that's quite a common experience with an inner ear disorder and has happened to me several times.  It's to do with eye movements.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21 2010, 10:44 AM »
Hi Marie,
Do you mean when you are standing still and suddenly out of the blue you  loose your balance. I used to get that a lot last year, it was like loosing your balance while standing on a train or bus which moves off quickly. I think it's your brain getting the wrong messages and trying to correct your balance when it doesn't need to. It doesn't happen to me anymore only the odd bit of drunken staggering when I'm walking.
Though I would always keep away from the edges of things, like ponds, kerbs, cliff tops (tho not been on one yet) just in case.
Daisy

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26 2010, 12:28 PM »
in reply to question daisy was the nearest to the way i get slightly off balance it is as if a train moves ever so slightly and i move its not a big jerk but a tiny movement just slightly off its very hard to explain unless you experience it , sorry if im not very clear on it but the movement is so slight you barely notice it , it has happened to me a good few times now i was wondering if anyone else had this also and what do they think causes it ..

Offline melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26 2010, 02:59 PM »
Hi Marie,  as Chris said below, it's all to do with your eye movements; basically with inner ear disorders it's common for the eyes to be dominant over the inner ear balance function so your eyes move around jerkily to try & get points of reference.  So you're not going mad;  my physio (who also has Menieres) gets the same thing - it looks like objects have moved but you know they can't have done.  She has given me some "gaze exercises" & some balance exercises to try & readdress the imbalance (no pun intended) between the inner ear & the eyes.  It's too early for me to tell if they're working for me at the moment as I've only been doing them 4 days but anything's worth a try! Take care, Melanie

constanlydizzy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26 2010, 03:12 PM »
Hi Melanie

I was very interested to read that your physio has MD herself, it must be great to know that she actually understands exactly how you are feeling.

Out of interest is her MD under control and does she feel that the excercises really do help?

Julie

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26 2010, 03:18 PM »
Thanks to all in replying as at times i think i ask the most stupid questions, without this site i would think i was going mad

Offline melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26 2010, 03:42 PM »
Hiya Julie,
I've only had 1 session with my physio so haven't had much chance to grill her but I will do tomorrow when I see her again. Yes it is wonderful that she knows exactly how I feel!   She does her balance & gaze exercises once a week for maintenance & she says she really notices when she hasn't done them as her balance gets bad & she ends up walking close to walls.
Melanie

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26 2010, 04:12 PM »
 :Pwill you let me know how you get on with your physio also as i seem to walk close to walls whenim able to walk that is as my balance is shot to hell for ages now

Offline melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11 2010, 02:31 PM »
Hi Marie,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've  not been on the site for a while.  I'd really recommend seeing a physio to help with the balance problems as it really worked for me (combo of  balance exercises & the gaze exercises).  I can now sit on an exercise ball, with my feet on a wobble board & keep focus on a moving object (a loo roll with an x marked on it, threaded onto a walking stick which I have to move up & down the stick) without being sick or feeling dizzy (although it does make my hubby laugh).

Admittedly when I first  started doing all the exercises it brought on my symptoms so I had a minor vertigo attack & then had residual dizziness for a week, but I cut back on how long I was doing them for & I seem to be ok now.  If I do feel "odd" - you know when you don't feel quite right & feel a bit dizzy, I do the silt shifting exercises (can't remember the technical name but it's where you lie on your side facing slightly up & then sit up & swap sides) & that's usually enough to make me feel better.  Although saying that I've got a cold on the way so my ear's clogged up & I feel a bit "odd" today). 

It's just a matter of keeping on doing the exercises - supposedly simple ones where you stand on one leg & then close your eyes I do whilst I'm cleaning my teeth. I still wobble madly but I don't fall over. I also have to walk forward heel to toe with eyes shut & backwards with eyes shut (I had t build up to this).  I can now walk better in the dark, I don't get so many headaches now either as my eyes aren't quite so dominant as they used to be & I'm a lot happier walking down corridors.  I saw real improvements in my balance in just 2 weeks & my physio's so happy she's discharged me (under instructions to keep on doing the exercises!).

I really can't emphasise how good the exercises are for me- it's mainly the BPPV I have problems with on a daily basis but I do get the full rotational vertigo if I don't take my Betahistine.  The exercises might not work for everyone but it's worth a try.

Take care,
Melanie

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11 2010, 04:38 PM »
Hi Melanie,

Thanks for getting back i am now doing simple balance exercise each day, not may i add walking heel to toe as i would fall over (crutches) never could do that one ,so if i ever have to do the drunk walking test i would fail, but as you say it is important to do what is possible in keeping the MD under control lol,did i just say that, that's like saying i can control the tides.

Offline hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10 2010, 11:35 AM »
I have very poor balance and like you find myself walking near walls or look like im a ravin alcoholic(chance would be a fine thing).lol..
I am now on to balance excercises which ive been told time and patience is a virtue and persistence pays off..i will keep you posted as i have just started to put them into my routine..More stuff to do when your fatigued but hopefully worth it..
Take care
Hayley x x :)

Offline cork.wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10 2010, 02:08 PM »
Hi Marie,
 I know exactly what you mean, I have the same when turning my head.  The best way i can describe it is like a flicker book,  The little animated books you make by drawing figures on consecutive  pages to make it look as though it is moving when you flip the pages quick.  I get this and it seems as though some pages are missing from time to time.

barbara

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10 2010, 06:28 PM »
Hi Cork.wobbler,
I know exactly what you mean about flicker books. I always describe it as being like when the cinie films used to jump out of the gate and repeatedly move across the screen. Shows my age doesn't it ::)

Barbara

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10 2010, 08:18 PM »
yes i agree the flicker book does describe it better than the slightly moving train , just glad to know im not the only one getting this, sorry guys don't mean im glad you get it .   :D

Offline cork.wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11 2010, 05:07 PM »
I sometimes feel as though I am in an old Laurel and Hardy film. ;)

SHARON

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11 2010, 06:22 PM »
That's another fine mess you've gotten me into Corkie  ;D ;D

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11 2010, 07:07 PM »
and the fun begins  :D

Offline hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 13 2010, 06:58 PM »
lol..Your all so very funny :)but have to say explaining it like a flicker book is an excellant analogy..
  :)

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 13 2010, 07:32 PM »
tried to stand on one leg closed eyes whilst cleaning my teeth. didnt know wether to fall down or throw up first it was horrible, felt just like when i get a bad attack.will persiviering help?

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 13 2010, 08:39 PM »
Those exercises do get better with practice Shell.  Be very careful you're holding onto something stable whilst you're still feeling very dizzy.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline cork.wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14 2010, 05:02 PM »
I say well done Shell for being able so stand on one leg.  I am practicing  by walking up and down the stairs, going up is easy, coming down is a nightmare.  I find it difficult judging the distance and whereabouts of the next step.  And living in Cork City where it is a bit hilly can be fun sometimes, coming downhill is like being on wheels and almost end up jogging as i feel that i am being pushed in the back. Going up takes forever but is a lot more comfortable and reassuring.

Offline cork.wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 14 2010, 05:09 PM »
Also meant to add that i have been spin free since leaving hospital 2 weeks ago.  I have had moments where it feels like a spin is coming on but these have passed without incidence.  The balance is getting worse though in the last week which is strange as i had a weekend away the weekend before and was fine and felt like dancing.  I see my doctor again on thursday as i want to find out more about the after effects of the procedure, i have also stopped taking the Serc as they were making me feel even more wobbly than usual.  The doc said i should maybe cut down to 2 a day and continue with them for now. My sleep is pretty random and poor so that could be a problem i guess.
Will keep you informed of my progress.

Offline kath.d

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 15 2010, 06:50 PM »
Hi all

Im exactly the same after my labyrinthectomy with hills (or even just slight slopes) going down them is a nightmare and its even worse if the floor surface is patterned like those red tiles they often have in shopping precincts :-\. Its the same with stairs I find going up them is easier than trying to get back down- they just seem to fall away and I cant quite seem to guess 'right' where the step is...if that makes sense lol

kath x

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 15 2010, 09:54 PM »
didnt feel quite so sick today when standing on one leg with eyes closed! though have decided to do the heel toe thing between the end of the bed and the wardrobe as felt unsafe on the landing between the wall and the banister.
how many times a day should i be doing them?

Offline kath.d

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hi Shell
Im doing the balance exercises after my labby. I do them for about 10-15 mins at a time then rest then the next hour I do them again. when they stop making you feel sick that means your brain is adapting and learning so concentrate more on the ones that are harder to do and make you feel worse.

kath xx

barbara

« Reply #27 on: Jun 16 2010, 09:44 AM »
I think it is usual to do them twice a dayand then try to move about normally in between. It is possible to do them too much so take care.
Barbara

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 17 2010, 12:38 PM »
Hi all would it be a good idea for someone to put up a list of balance exercise that people can try if possible as my physio only gave me the turning of the head from side to side and climbing one step , i think i it might help if i had a few more exercise to try ..

barbara

« Reply #29 on: Jun 17 2010, 12:42 PM »
Hi Marie,
 I will send you the booklet I was given by email . It has physical as well as visual exercises.
I will see if I can put it in Q and A as well but not sure if that is possible.
Barbara

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jun 17 2010, 02:31 PM »
Thanks Barbara, much appreciated ;D

barbara

« Reply #31 on: Jun 17 2010, 03:16 PM »
Hi All,
Had a look at uploading my VRT Booklet into the Q&A section but it is too big . It will only accept 128KB  :(

I am only too willing to email it to anyone that wants a copy.

Barbara xx

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 18 2010, 06:47 PM »
happy to say received copy of booklet yesterday and have started to do exercises some leave me reeling but am determined to do them every day thanks Barbara ..i will soon be skipping down the path lol :dance: