Author Topic: headches???  (Read 2321 times)

Offline stef_1982

• View Profile
headches???
« on: May 29 2010, 04:33 PM »
does anyone else suffer headaches alot, and i mean like daily, its very rare i dont have to take paracetemol, my gp dosent seem bothered to be honest, and i dont see my ENT for the first time til nexy month on the 17th

what happens at your first appointment?

thank you stef xxx :o

Offline hayley

• View Profile
Re: headches???
« Reply #1 on: May 29 2010, 08:52 PM »
Hi steph,headaches/migraines are very common with MD and i find i get no relief from paracetamol..Its finding maybe what the trigger is i.e foods,weather,stress,salt intake,lights,certain noises and as ive learnt many many more..Everyone varies,im having a stage of theres not very much left that doesnt set me off right now..
I have many triggers which vary from symptom to symptom, the headaches go from being copable to totally wanting to escape and find the nearest darkest room where it is peaceful( except for the crazed screeching sounds that permanently reside in my both my ears...).
As for the E.n.t visit try not to worry about it as it may not help with the headaches but write a diary of the next few weeks and write any questions you have for them down too.All consultants are different and mine didnt agree that headaches was associated with md unti i saw the audiologist and another consultant to explain to me about my bilateral diagnosis and what treatments and surgery options are due next....They also told me that headaches/migraines are very common as the feeling of pressure can be too much to bare..
Would love to be able to give you more advice but there are many more on here more qualified than me on here as ive only been on this site 6 months now..
Hopefully your consultant wil be able to help and good luck with your very 1st visit and remember to take a pen and piece of paper as i found i forgot alot of what my consultant had told me due to being very sick and dizzy on the day...
Hope you have a better weekend :)
Take care
Hayley x x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30 2010, 11:21 AM »
I have lots of daily headaches too Stef and for long periods, then they disappear again for several weeks.  I think mine are a type of migraine.  I notice you take painkillers every day for them.  The only thing I would say is be a little careful with taking them all the time.  Your body gets used to them and they don't have such an effect, plus it can cause something called a 'rebound' headache.  This is typical for someone who takes daily painkillers.  I try to limit analgesia to when the headache is really bad and if it's manageable try to carry on without.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline redi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30 2010, 04:47 PM »
Me as well. Seem to go thru periods of constant daily headaches. I too try very hard to restrict the intake of pain relief and instead go for dark and quiet!Most of the time it is either there or it isnt but sometimes I find lengthy reading is a no no as is a long time looking at the screen. Short bursts only.

Offline jmurr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01 2010, 10:23 PM »
I seem to get a 'post episode' headache like a hangover, when the spins and brain fog etc start to fade away a bit. I have also occasionally had migraine headaches when I have tried to continue as usual despite an 'episode' so eventually have to give in.  I try not to let it get that far these days though, now I have learned the hard way!
Jx

Kath

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02 2010, 08:17 AM »
You are not alone with this Stef. Recently I have been getting more headaches and they are associated increased ear pressure in my case. Got them during the hot spell the week before last and then again yesterday when conversely I felt cold. I  have no vertigo at the moment so I musn't complain, but boy I really want to cos I feel c**p!
take care, Kathx

Offline Beckybec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09 2010, 06:58 PM »
I get regular headaches with MD, whether dizzy or not, that start with ear pressure and seem to spread into my whole skull, painkillers dont work at all so dont even bother now.

Quiet (in my house with everyone in is rare!), or a walk helps most, sometimes a bath can calm them a bit. Ooh and I can crave sugar something awful sometimes and after I eat some sweets/raisins etc the headache calms down. I have been known to go through the muesli for the blighters when I have a craving! I dont normally eat sweet things, but I think low blood sugar levels can make symptons a lot worse.

I too get awful headaches like J after vertigo attacks, which can last for a couple of days, my whole head can feel bruised. My consultant syas this is common.

All the cheerful normalties of MD, never a dull moment!
Becky x

SHARON

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09 2010, 07:16 PM »
I get cluster migraines and have been prescribed Rizatriptan which, although I don't like taking it because it's so strong, is the only thing that will touch it if I have a really bad one.
I was also taking nurofen far too often and it wasn't making any difference.
I tried taking nothing but couldn't stand the pain!
I've found now that if I catch it early enough I can sometimes get away with just taking migraleve.
I don't take nearly as many pills now as I did when it was just the nurofen.
I would suggest you ask your GP rather than the hospital
Sharon x

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10 2010, 12:12 PM »
like kath. i get headaches when i have ear pressure , mostly on right side of head, i don't mind it so much still it starts on back of head (right side behind ear ) as this goes down neck as well and last up to two weeks , but once  ear pressure lessens so does headaches, nausea. foggy etc. alas balance never  :'(

SHARON

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10 2010, 01:28 PM »
Just been to collect my migraine script from Sainsburys and the pharmacist asked if I'd mind answering a few questions regarding whether I get any side from my medication. Evidently it's something that then gets fed back to my GP!
I told her I find the rizatriptan a bit too strong......and she agreed that it's VERY potent stuff!
I said I could sometimes get by on migraleve but not always and she asked me if I'd read the report on Aspirin.
Evidently the experts now believe that taking 3 aspirin together as soon as you feel a migraine coming on it is just as effective as taking the really strong medication only available on prescription.
She also suggested a supplement....which I can't for the life of me remember the name of, but is Q something or other!
It's normally taken to boost energy levels and combat tiredness but again has proved very effective at treating migraine. She said since her daughter who suffers with migraine (around the time of the month) started taking one a day = 3 months ago - the migraines have all but stopped.
Sharon

Kath

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10 2010, 02:14 PM »
Is it Coenzyme Q10 Sharon?

SHARON

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10 2010, 02:56 PM »
Yep that sound right Kath!!
Have you heard whether it's any good?

SHARON

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10 2010, 03:29 PM »
I've just googled it and it looks pretty good.
The pharmacist highly recommended it and as a bonus it's dirt cheap....so will definitely give it a try  :)

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10 2010, 06:53 PM »

Hello all

co enzyme q10 is part of the PW crazy regime. Holland and Barrett sell a strong one (120mg) 30 in a box for 19.99. Watch out for weaker ones that appear cheap but won't do the trick. Once every couple of months they sell it for 4.99 and I stock up to six months supply. They tend to rotate their sale items like this and as I work near one I can do my regime relatively cheaply. I bought some last week so it may still be on as all stores tend to have the same offers. I still get strong auras and visuals  (although no menstrual link  ;)) but I think I have been healthier since taking it. I mainly find it beneficial for energy levels and then that has all sorts of of knock on benefits but it's supposed to be good for the ticker too.

strangely my monthly headaches disappeared since I have been single  ??? :D
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

SHARON

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13 2010, 09:37 PM »
Just to let you know that I tried taking three aspirin instead of migraleve and they worked  :)
Whether they'll be as effective with a bad migraine I don't know.....but I'm definitely going to give them a go
Sharon x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14 2010, 09:52 AM »
Just be a little careful the aspirin doesn't upset your ear Sharon - aspirin is toxic to the inner ear.

I can't take it - it gives me a vertigo attack within an hour but I agree it's amazing for migraine pain relief!

Chris x

barbara

« Reply #16 on: Jun 14 2010, 11:09 AM »
Watch out for stomach problems as well as it can cause bleeding unless the aspirin is enteric coated.

Barbara

ManiloonySally

« Reply #17 on: Jun 14 2010, 11:10 AM »
No good for us asthmatics either :(

Sally x

Offline melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15 2010, 08:53 AM »
Hi Stef,
I used to get a lot of migraines but since I've been on Betahistine the migraines seem to have stopped which is brill but I still get a lot of headaches. I get fed up taking tablets so I try a cold flannel (from the freezer) on the base of the neck just below the back of my head works if I'm in the house or if I'm at work I have a whiff of peppermint oil &/or rubbing "Head" (it's a stick with peppermint oil in it) on the temples work.

I notice my headaches get more frequent if I haven't been doing my gaze exercises so I do them once a day and after a couple of days the headaches definitely reduce in intensity/frequency.  Oh & a monthly trip to the chiropracter has really helped too.   Anything's worth a try. 

Take care,
Melanie

Offline kath.d

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15 2010, 05:11 PM »
Hi
Ive not been online for a while so just catching up with the posts, I see a a neurologist at pinderfields wakefield for my headaches which were happening daily and really were sometimes so bad i wanted to bang my head against a wall...just to get a different sort of pain (if that makes any sense) then in between i would get raging migrains

Anyway he told me that because I was taking a heavy dose of co-codamol & tramadol (which I had been on since earlier surgery 12 months before) I was actually CAUSING my daily headaches and in turn they were triggering migraines.

I had to agree over 6 weeks to withraw from the opiate painkillers and he gave me topiramate which is some sort of epilipsy medication to take... initially the headaches were even worse....but he said this was the opiates (I felt like a junkie lol) the headaches then stopped and the only  migraine i got was linked to my monthly cycle. But just after my Labby they got a lot worse and I was back to weekly migraines and I am due to see him again tomoro. I cant take any tablet now when I have migrain-Im too scared of starting the cycle again, but I do use the 4HEAD STRIP which i find really works for me

Kath xx

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 15 2010, 05:19 PM »
Hi Kath

Sounds like the 'rebound' headaches I mentioned much earlier in this topic.  I'm glad the headaches eventually came under control but sorry to hear they've cranked up again since your op.  I hope the neuro can help with that tomorrow.

I also think us 'ladies of a certain age' can have a hard time with migraines - it's hard to know what's causing them - hormones, stress, or our health conditions!  :banghead:

Chris x

Offline kath.d

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 15 2010, 05:45 PM »
Hi Chris
Yes I remember now, thats what he called it a rebound headache... I just remember thinking during the six weeks coming off the strong painkillers-I cant believe ive been giving myself all these bloody headaches taking these pills trying to get rid of them!
I was wondering if the flare ups are down to my eyes being more dominant now with my balance?  I keep a diary for the neurologist and from 6weeks after I got home from the Labby (which is when I started moving about more and doing the VRT exercises) the migraines have been about once a week.....but it was terrible when we had that spell of low pressure last week.  As for being a certain age.....dont go there....im sure thats just around the corner too! lol

Kath xx