Author Topic: hyperbaric oxygenation therapy  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Veronika10

• Visitor
    • View Profile
hyperbaric oxygenation therapy
« on: Jun 09 2010, 07:55 AM »
Hi, I'm new here, but the disease isn't new for me (I'm having it during 12 years already). I tried many ways to minimize the vertigo attacks and the most useful for me was hyperbaric oxygenation therapy. I have 10 sessions and repeat it in 6 months again. The hearing is getting a bit better, or at least it helps to keep it the same level. Vertigo also stops for about 5 months. Has anyone tried it? Was it successful for you?

barbara

Re: hyperbaric oxygenation therapy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09 2010, 08:34 AM »
Hi Veronika,
Hyperbaric Oxygenation Therapy is not something used in the UK for MD. It is interesting though because many of us find our symptoms are worse when the air pressure is low. Maybe this high pressure therapy would be useful. How expensive is it as I can't see the NHS providing it?

Barbara

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09 2010, 09:20 AM »
Hyperbaric Oxygenation is something used for multiple sclerosis sufferers here but it is not recognized as a valid treatment by our consultants. Neither is it used for MD I'm afraid, as Barbara says. It is interesting that many MS sufferers say it is helpful, others don't find any effect.  I can't see it being available here for Meniere's as access would have to be through the NHS and it wouldn't be funded.  Multiple Sclerosis sufferers pay privately for sessions through MS charities.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Veronika10

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09 2010, 09:22 AM »
I’m very surprised that it’s not popular in UK. My doctor does believe in this treatment.  It really works and not only for me. When I go to hospital to get this treatment I meet lot’s of people with MD. They are all satisfied with the result. There is also a nurse working at this hospital and she has MD. After several years of this treatment, her attacks stopped (we all know that they may start again, but still calm period is also something). http://www.oxybiotech.net/files/Article-HBOT-Menieres.pdf
Barbara, in Russia, the medicine is free and our doctor’s salary is extremely low. Still there are some procedures which require payments, hyperbaric oxygen is one of them. I pay approximately 50 dollars for 10 sessions. 

barbara

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09 2010, 09:35 AM »
Interesting article Veronika. At $50 for 10 sessions I think many of us would think it at least worth trying for a couple of years. Nothing to lose except MD and Migraine (from another paper) and a lot to gain .

Barbara x

Offline hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09 2010, 12:44 PM »
Sound really interesting,ive never heard of this but im in England and not likely to get it from my consultant..but its something i will certainly have a read about...
Take care x
Hayley :)

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09 2010, 12:49 PM »
This is new to me also, does this help with ear fullness and off balance am suffering badly from this since Sunday will take any tips on how to get rid of it if possible anyone help ? even old wives tips taking on board at this point  :tired:

Offline Veronika10

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09 2010, 03:07 PM »
Hayley, you may read a lot about it, just “google” this treatment together with the word meniere’s diseas and you will find lot’s of information. I see now, that some treatments in Europe differ, and it’s quite normal. I’ll try to find something new for myself reading the info on this forum, and I can also share russian experience with you.

Marie, I'm sorry you have to feel it. Once I came for this therapy, I saw a man helping his off balanced wife to reach the HBOT chamber (she couldn’t walk by herself), the next day I met her again, she was without her husband, we were talking a bit in the hall and she said that it was the only treatment that worked for her.  I admit that things work different for everyone, but I haven’t met anyone who didn’t have any good results from it. At least one can give a try .

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09 2010, 04:41 PM »
thanks for concern Veronika, but I'm sure that the hbot chambers haven't  even crossed the sea this direction yet we seem to be years behind the rest of Europe in medical matters did you know about this procedure c.w. in cork?