Author Topic: yet again , groundhog day  (Read 5453 times)

Offline marie

• View Profile
yet again , groundhog day
« on: Jun 28 2010, 03:02 PM »
Hi All just to say yet again I'm having and episode of the dreaded meniere's, started approx two weeks ago when i found it difficult to go into supermarket and had feeling of wanting to crawl even when pushing a shopping trolley, well i may say it has gotten progressively worse since then with motion sickness, slopes effecting me now last night i tried to go outside and low and behold i could not pass front door , the top part of body went to go out but legs frozen to spot i would have fallen only for friend putting arm out to help me , has anyone experienced the frozen legs(rooted to spot ) i would very much like to hear from anyone who had this as i could be walking along normally and suddenly freeze, quite frighting in fact as i do fall over with this (don't think this is drop attack as i have these and quite different ) i know that when the motion illness goes i now yet again have to try and go out this will take me most of the summer to do .so sorry if I'm bending your ears but when i get some way of living normal this thing comes along and hey presto back to square one again it's driving me mad  :'( :'( :'(

Offline hayley

• View Profile
Re: yet again , groundhog day
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03 2010, 01:25 PM »
hi Marie i too have episodes like this and it is more scary trying to get out and about...I have been given a walking stick by my physio to help me do things that i so easily can talk myself out of doing..I feel i have Groundhog days everyday at the moment and so want an escape..
Take care
Hayley x x

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03 2010, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Haley for kind words at least I'm not going through this alone (not wishing it on anyone else ) but when i go through this my mind is saying these actions aren't normal as one day i can walk out the door and next day its as if a invisible barrier has being put up, lovely md  :D even when i can manage to get out my confidance has to build up all over again, i now hate to go out alone in case i either drop or freeze on the spot, as a helping hand can make it easier to cope .. other wise i think i would have to crawl home which would surely get the men in the white coats to come for me  ::)

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03 2010, 05:04 PM »
Hi Marie

I do know what you  mean about being rooted to the spot.  When it's happened to me it almost feels like my brain says 'if you move right now you will fall, so stay completely still'.  I agree it's a horrible feeling and quite frightening.  This MD certainly drains your confidence and you are not the first to struggle with going out alone.  Afterall, good balance is a fundamental part of our existence and all our protective instincts come into play when balance isn't working properly.  We are set up to keep ourselves safe and when our brains receive messages from the balance system that say 'you're not safe' then it's not surprising we resort to not taking any risks.  Just when you think your confidence is  returning, that maybe you can trust your balance again,  back comes the vertigo and throws you (literally) back to square one.

All you can do is little steps when you can and don't beat yourself up too much when you can't.  

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Dizzybee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03 2010, 10:01 PM »
Hi Marie
I have the same trouble as you trying to go out. I have spent many hours just standing in my hallway trying to get out of the door. Even though I have had vertigo for years I still have the same problem.

Chris is right when I start feeling a bit better I think I'm better and suddenly the vertigo hits me again and I just lose it again. And I do try not to beat myself up about it like Chris says but I find it hard not too because I still think i should be able to cope. I cry so much, I think it is because I get so frustrated.

Sometimes the only way I can get home, if I do manage to get out is to hold onto each lamp post along the road, I am lucky because i live in the middle of a city and there are lots of lamp posts. I use to worry about people seeing me like this so i wouldn't go out but i don't worry anymore. I just keep trying. Because I know if I don't i would be housebound and I don't want be like that anymore. I'm crying just writing this because i don't want to be like this anymore. But it helps just knowing that I'm not going crazy that there really is something wrong.
Dizzybee

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03 2010, 10:44 PM »
Dizzybee - I really felt for you when I read your post.  Life can be really crap with this condition can't it?  All we can do here is support each other - wouldn't it be great if we all lived on the same road? We could all wobble down the road together.   

I can think of a few names for the road - Meniere's Drive, Dizzy Way,  Balance Avenue?  Not terribly imaginative I know, I imagine there will be a few much wittier ones suggested.   I happen to live on Estcourt Road - I think that's appropriate too lol!

Take care hun and don't cry.

Chris x

Offline desperatehousewife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04 2010, 02:23 PM »
Hi Marie,
Yes, I'm another with 'the frozen legs' syndrome - even in this hot weather!
So many symptoms just wouldn't make sense to anyone else would they?

I live in Shaftoe Road Chris - don't know how many of you remember the song 'Bobby Shaftoe's gone to sea....' I certainly feel like I'm walking on a ship most of the time!

Take care xxx

Offline Dizzybee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04 2010, 09:36 PM »
Hi All
When I have this problem people keep saying I have agoraphobia and I find myself defending myself by saying I haven't got agoraphobia because I do want to go out . I am just frightened to go out because i feel so awful when I am out. What do you think ?
Dizzybee

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04 2010, 10:33 PM »
Well if your MD symptoms were to miraculously disappear DB, would you want to go out?  If the answer is yes then it's not agoraphobia. It does cause loss of confidence but it's not the outside world you're scared of - it's having an attack when you're out and not being safe. 

I think that avoiding going out can become a habit though and not facing the outside world can cause tremendous anxiety, so that's why it's a good idea to expose yourself to it even if only for a few minutes as often as possible.
Also, having contingency plans to fall back on if you get into trouble is really important and can allow you to feel more secure.

If you do that then the world outside your 4 walls doesn't become too scary.

Chris x

Offline kath.d

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05 2010, 09:48 AM »
Hi Marie/Dizzybee
Although Im lucky now thanks to the laby I dont get the vertigo I do still suffer badly with my balance (although I'd have the op again in a breath just to be rid of the spins! :D)
I do hear what you're saying about being rooted to the spot and having frozen legs  :'(  both before and after my op i went through this and it fills me with total fear at times if im in a place where im not able to hug walls or furniture  :-\. I really feel for you both....and felt choked reading your posts  :tired: its an awful, awful crappy illness.
Realy hope you both have some better days soon.
kath xx

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05 2010, 01:12 PM »
thanks to all for your kind words and support it does honestly help being on this site, as sometimes i think without it i would be convinced i was going crazy .. am still trying to get out  under my own steam but of all the symptoms i have had the frozen legs i think is the worst for me , the dizzy spells, nausea, even walking down slopes (which i find hard ) and lights etc. all fade into the  background in time as i get better but the frozen legs can happen anytime and anywhere. so I'm now expecting it to strike all the time, which i know doesn't help matters one bit , well i can get out as i said before hse (health board ) gave me a electric wheelchair to use when balance is at its worse, so I'm cheating slightly by using this now and again but i am trying desperately to keep walking for as long as possible as i don't want to lose muscle power on top of all this ..

Offline Helenbell

• View Profile
    • Helen Nock Designer Maker
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10 2012, 10:45 PM »
Hi Marie,

Just6 found this topic...similar to my q earlier today.  And yes, I get the frozen leg thing which my gp is investigating along neurology route.  It must be a bad balance disorder symptom from the MD.  This probably sounds daft, but I feel that whilst others are spinning and vomiting, it effects me by rooting me to the spot.  I feel like my legs are filled with lead, and I can't lift or position them.  I also feel that I will be swallowed up by the ground and think I'm just about to Drop when it's bad.  Meanwhile I'm using a stick which helps me to wobble around a few yards at a time...but any further walking will lock up my legs completely, make me sweat and my ears go bananas...gotta be a mechanical symptom.   ;)