Author Topic: Cinnarizine question..  (Read 29363 times)

ManiloonySally

Cinnarizine question..
« on: Jul 31 2010, 05:51 PM »
I wanted to ask for some advice.  As you know i'm suffering with constant balance and vertigo issues and i delayed my treatment! (my fault)  i take cinnarizine as it helps the most, but tend to only take it when things get too bad.  I just wondered if i took it lets say for a few days, do you think there would be a chance it might calm things down for a bit or would i just be taking it for nothing??

Sorry for a stupid question, i try to hold out on taking it but i am just so fed up of feeling constantly dizzy of balance and sick, i thought maybe 2 or 3 days might calm it down, i would really appreciate any advice.

Sally x

barbara

Re: Cinnarizine question..
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31 2010, 06:23 PM »
Hi Sally,
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't try this. I took it 3 x day for a long time with no ill effects and it did help me. It does make you sleepy at first but I think many people adjust to this.
Give it a go, you have nothing to lose except the vertigo.
Barbara x
ps. It had a very positive effect on my varicose veins too.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31 2010, 06:58 PM »
I agree with Barb, Sally.  I was prescribed cinnarizine 15mg 3 x daily many years ago.  I found it made me a bit sleepy but I was still able to work then, even with the pills on board.  I took it for months and I think it's definitely worth giving it a go to see if you can get this vertigo under control.

Chris xx
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

ManiloonySally

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31 2010, 08:04 PM »
Thank you Barbara and Chris, i'm definitely going to try now after your replys, even if just enough to control it to get to Leicester, thank you i appreciate your help.. :)

Sally x

Offline Frances

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31 2010, 09:59 PM »
Sally
 I have been taking cinnarizine since Jan. 3xday and found them brilliant. I was a big fan of stemitil prior to that, but developed a bad stomach.  I thought they were putting weight on me as I've a stone on since Jan :( At cons on Monday and he suggested I change and start taking stemitel again for a while and cut down the amount I'm taking- big mistake!! I have had a series of mini spins this week. They only last a few minutes but when the spinning stops I am very shaky and generally out of sorts. I had 2 today and am pissed of as I was to go out tonight and obviously didn't get.
I am starting back on cinnarizine tomorrow morning. Its more important to take the tabs and have a life! I'll start the diet on Monday ;) ;)
So to finish - take the tabs they're the biz.
Frances
End the struggle and dance with life!

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31 2010, 11:11 PM »
Hi Sally,

I can only agree with all that has been said. I took them for 5 years mostly 1x3 a day sometimes more sometimes less, but hardly missed a day. I only stopped because I had other problems which complicated matters and I wanted to find out if I could do without them. I now take them when and if I need them. It's rare to find a drug that I can trust, ie few side-effects and good efficacy, but cinnarizine seems to be one of them.

Jon
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

ManiloonySally

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01 2010, 10:29 AM »
Thank you Frances and Jon,

I'm definitely going to try it, it's a shame i didn't try it sooner but every mini spin or day of very bad balance, i tend to sit very still and think i'll not take anything until i get a full blown attack, but it's limiting my daily life so much so am starting today.. thank you for your help :)

Sally x

constanlydizzy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hi Sally

I took 3x2 daily for months and it did seem to help a lot. I still used stemetil as well during full blown attacks.
Really hope it helps you.

Julie xx

ManiloonySally

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01 2010, 06:04 PM »
Thank you Julie... well i have started today, i am so drowsy, i am presuming this will eventually wear off, i always seem to be extra sensitive to medication for some reason, but i'll keep going :)

Sally x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01 2010, 08:03 PM »
Just an idea Sally - you could halve the tablets and take half dose until you get a bit more used to them.  Hopefully as time goes along you will be able to take the higher dose but a little of the drug in your system must be better than none.

Chris x

Offline mandyscott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02 2010, 04:01 PM »
I was recently prescribed Cinnarizine but did find that I had very little energy during the day, great sleep at night though.

I have gone back to serc during the day and cinnarizine at night, does anyone know if this is a bad idea mixing the 2?

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 02 2010, 05:50 PM »
Hi Mandy

The two drugs in combination are pretty safe.  The only thing I would say is that cinnarizine is an anti-histamine and Serc is a histamine - so it's possible they are potentially cancelling each other out.  If it seems to be working for you at the moment I would definitely separate the doses out - taking Serc in the daytime and reserving cinnarizine for night.  One dose of cinnarizine needs repeating 8 hourly for it to remain effective, so should be out of your system by the morning ready for the dose of Serc.  I'm no expert on this combination, it's something you may want to ask your ENT or GP to advise on.  Barb may also have some thoughts on it from her scientific background.

Chris xx

barbara

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02 2010, 06:07 PM »
Hi Chris and Mandy,
I am not a pharmacist though.I think you are right Chris.I see no reason why you cannot take these as you say  Mandy reserving the cinnazerine for night time to help you sleep. Although in theory one would expect them to cancel each other out it is not as straight forward as that. They may not compliment each other but that does not mean they are automatically antaganistic. If it works continue it. I can't see it can do any harm.
Barbara

Offline mandyscott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02 2010, 06:53 PM »
Thanks again Ladies, I think I will continue with both.  The serc is what I am used to but the Cinnarizine doesn't half help you get over to sleep at night.  My hubby lies there for ages and I am like night, night, and the next thing I am off.  I also lie on my good ear and it means he has to get up with our daughter if she shouts in the night, crafty eh!!  As he is coming back to bed I say "oh sorry babe I didn't hear her did you have to get up"?  I am sure he will figure it out one day.

Mandy
x

Offline Frances

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 02 2010, 07:13 PM »
Hi all
I'm back on the cinnarizine since yest and I feel much steadier already, could be my imagination but thats what I feel. As for serc I've been taking it all alone with the cinnarizine- I feel they complement each other.  The sleepiness will get better.  :tired: Just bear with it and don't try to do too much for a few weeks.  I tend to get early to bed during the week, its great for that, I'm sleeping 5 mins after hitting the pillow.  Hope it works for you.
Frances
End the struggle and dance with life!

ManiloonySally

« Reply #15 on: Aug 02 2010, 07:32 PM »
Well i took the half dose as Chris suggested.. even that wipes me out :(  is it just me?? as everyone else seems to be able to take them?  I am hoping i'll just get used to them :)

Sally x

Offline mandyscott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02 2010, 07:38 PM »
Hi Sally

My system is really tolerant and I can pretty much can take anything without their being any adverse side effects.  I kmow what you mean about the Cinnarizine though, normally it takes a sledghammer to get me off at night but one of those bad boys and I am sleeping like a baby!!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02 2010, 10:31 PM »
No it's not just you Sally.  I get really sleepy on them too.  I only managed to get one or two doses in during a day.

Chris x

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02 2010, 10:44 PM »
One tablet and I was zonked .Having said that I'm so lacking in sleep at the mo that one tablet might be a good thing right now  ;)
Elaine xx

NEWOSA65

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03 2010, 01:05 AM »
Hi Sally,

It is quite normal to feel sleepy when you initially start the Cinnarizine Tablets.  I too felt this way for about 2 weeks, afterwhich, it wore off.

It is also a very safe tablet.  I used to take (2 x 15mg) x 3  daily which does help alot to curb the spins and dizziness.  You will adapt with time.  All drugs can have their initial side-effects but normally after about 2 weeks the body learns to adjust so do continue with them as it may make all the difference to the frequency of your attacks and then hopefully if the attacks are curbed, allow your brain to rehabilitate again.

Every best wish,

S :-) x

ManiloonySally

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03 2010, 09:41 AM »
Thanks Chris Mandy Elaine and Simon, i'm going to keep going but with the half dose at the mo, as its just me and Niamh, but she goes to Ireland on Sunday for 2 weeks with her Dad Fatman scoop! :(  which means it doesn't matter if i'm a bit zonked lol .. i just hope it makes me feel well enough to get to Leicester :)

Sally x