meniere

Author Topic: DLA Grants  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Frances

• View Profile
DLA Grants
« on: Aug 15 2010, 05:27 PM »
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if I would be entitled to any grant assistance to put a downstairs bathroom into my house.  I was thinking of getting one built and a friend mentioned about a grant.  I hadn't even considered the possibility. I get middle rate care and lower rate mobility from DLA. 
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Frances
End the struggle and dance with life!

barbara

Re: DLA Grants
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15 2010, 05:53 PM »
Hi Frances,
I don'tknow about a grant to get the work done but you should be able to get your council tax dropped by one band if you add a room especially for a disabled person.
See    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/Taxreliefandreductions/DG_10026451

and    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HomeAndHousingOptions/YourHome/DG_4000642  for details terms and conditions.

Barbara x

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15 2010, 06:28 PM »
Hi Frances

I know Social Service Departments have Occupational Therapists who can do assessments for adaptations to your house if you're disabled and it might be worth giving your local office a ring and asking for an assessment.  They pay for the work to be carried out.  I'm not sure if they would be able to build a whole new bathroom though.

Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Frances

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15 2010, 07:12 PM »
Thanks Chris and Barbara

It will be worth checking the info you have given me.  I plan on doing the extension at some point whether or not I get a grant anyway, as I'm fed up crawling upstairs during my attacks.
I just need the cash, the architech, the builder, the planning permission, the fixtures and fittings, the time- oh the stress, might have to review the situation!!!!
Frances
End the struggle and dance with life!