Author Topic: Colds?Flu infections  (Read 4146 times)

Offline whirlygig

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Colds?Flu infections
« on: Nov 17 2010, 07:26 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with MD about 10yrs ago and have had the various ups and downs you will all be familiar with. One thing that has been consistant during this time is my tendency to get colds/flu, chest infections. I can have a cold lasting weeks at a time. I wonder if anyone else has this experience. I once read that MD can weaken immune system. Any info?

barbara

Re: Colds?Flu infections
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17 2010, 09:53 AM »
Hi Whirlygig,
Welcome to the group.
I personally don't think this is part of Md. I myself do not often get colds and I think in 64 years I have had flu once about 20 years ago. Chronic illness does however restrict what we are able to do and therefore our immune systems may not be as good as it should be.
Barbara

Offline mandyscott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17 2010, 06:36 PM »
Hi there, I have had MD for 19years and to be honest always get colds but have never put this down to the illness.  This has increased over the past few years when I have lost count of the amount of times but I have to say it never progresses into my chest or the flu, just basic good old common cold.

Mandy

Offline makembill

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27 2010, 01:04 PM »
I get far more attacks when I have cold and I suppose this could easily give the impression that this is an each way occurrence. 

I find a heavy cold causes major sinus blockages and as the ear and nasal passages are so closely situated this causes me major problems with my Meniere's. Problems with the free flowing of the nasal passage affect the middle ear pressure and this in turn can lead to problems with Meniere's.

That said though, I don't think I could ever attribute ear pressure or Meniere's attacks to my developing  cold or flu like symptoms.

As was suggested, it is far more likely that the problem is a suppressed immune system. Probably worth discussing with your GP.

Offline SteveB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31 2010, 07:18 PM »
I definatly get worse when i have a cold or flu . i dont get seem to get any more colds etc than normal .
My Gp wouldnt give me an injection as he said he was worried what it would do to me being that im already ill !  ???

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04 2011, 10:42 AM »
I caught a heavy cold/mild flu mid December, I was ill all over Christmas. That was over in about two weeks, but I still have the cough, so it's been nearly seven weeks now. Grrrrrrrr.
Been to the doctor yesterday as it was not getting any better. It seems I have a chest infection. It happened exactly the same last year, so I seem to have a weak spot there. I don't think it's anything to do with MD, it's just me, I like man flu, as my wife describes it.  ;)
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05 2011, 11:16 AM »
my colds always go to my chest and all that nose blowing plays havock with my ears, so it always takes me longer than normal to recover from any illness. but maybe its just a coinsidence

Offline amezcua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22 2012, 03:35 PM »
I had a very sudden attack of vertigo recently. One second I was writing down some numbers.I turned my head to see my son come in the room and straight away I was intensely dizzy and was sick within a few minutes. That was after a long clear spell.  After the "normal" length of vertigo , which for me can be a week , it drifted on and on in a milder form. Very unusual pattern. I read that dairy products and various other diet items were a danger. But reducing dairy products does seem to reduce the sinus blockages . Singers should never drink milk before they sing as the vocal chords get clogged up. I have learned one way to reduce nasal blockage since then. Tipping back the head and gently squeezing the tear ducts a few times at the inner edge of your eyes seems to unlock something. Then close the mouth and hold your nose while you swallow. This makes a strong vacuum at the back of the nose and throat. It helps to dislodge what`s there without using medicines or chemicals. I had to laugh at a youtube video of a man using Chilli Pepper to sniff up like snuff. He seemed to enjoy it as well.
   I might as well add something from my school days in the fifties related to sinus problems. The sixth form building was a new science block and they used a warm air heating system rather than the old radiators. Those two years I was plagued with blocked sinuses. It happened again in London in the offices I worked in. It was many years afterwards that I learned of the connection between warm dry air and blocked sinuses. So check out the heating where you live or work .It could save a lot of misery.

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22 2012, 06:19 PM »
Hello

Had a go a the sinus unblock procedure you suggested and it really blocked my ears up. Does this happen to you and how long before the ears settle down.

Thanks

Jojo