Author Topic: neuro-otology appt  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
neuro-otology appt
« on: Dec 14 2010, 08:20 PM »
I have an appointment to see Professor Luxon or one of her team about my vertigo and dizzyness, at the national hospital for neurology, neuro-otology dept., in January . I was wondering if anyone else has seen her before?
I will be spending the whole morning there as they will do all the hearing and balance tests there and then and at the end you see the dr for the results and management plan.
Really hoping that they will be able to find out whats wrong with me as my old consultant nolonger thinks that my symptoms are caused by menieres, but doesn't know what is causing them, though suggested it could be a hormonal inbalance .He also said that he didnt  know if it the problem is caused by my ears, which I can't understand as I have tinnutus and get a lot of sudden sharp nerve like pains in my ear/s.

Daisy

Offline luckyme

• View Profile
Re: neuro-otology appt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13 2011, 07:49 PM »
I'm under a consultant at the RNTNE so if your seeing a true neuro-otologist they are the ones best qualified to help. I was fobbed of for ages by general ENT doctors and by the time I got to see the right person most of the damage was done.

Have you been to this hospital before? it may look a bit decrepit and out dated but I can assure you it is one of the best in the country.  

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15 2011, 08:40 PM »
Thanks for your reply. This will be my first appointment. Were you diagnosed with menieres there? I have had this vertigo and dizzyness for nearly two years now, I only wish that I had asked to be referred there, in the beginning.
Daisy

Offline luckyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16 2011, 04:39 PM »
Hi Daisy, yes I was diagnosed there but not until after a few appointments. When I was initially referred there I saw a triage ENT who tried to fob me off so had to go round the houses a bit before I got to see a neuro-otologist. Do you have hearing loss as well?

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19 2011, 09:04 PM »
Have been for my appointment and my hearing is okay and have been told that I have had damage to my inner ear caused by a virus and because of it have visual vertigo.  I had a whole afternoon of tests: First you see the consultant then there was a hearing test, then a test with electrodes attached to your head and ears while listerning to noises on headphones, to check the nerves. Blood pressure taken 3 times .Then another test with electrodes attached to head and sides of eyes while in a rotating chair. Followed by standing with harness on,on  moving plates on the floor in front of a moving wall with scenic picture. Then  the caloric test which didn't affect me, this time, when they put the hot water in my right ear. After all the tests you see the consultant for the results.
Was very impressed and would defiantly recommend getting referred there to anyone who is suffering from vertigo and dizzyness and haven't had a diagnosis yet.
I have been put on their waiting list for pyhsiotherepy, though it is a 5 - 7 month wait.