Author Topic: Ear Defenders  (Read 2613 times)

Offline SteveB

• View Profile
Ear Defenders
« on: Dec 31 2010, 07:31 PM »
I had to wear ear defenders at work , originaly it was ear plugs then they switched them to big radio ear defenders . the switch was around the time i started with MD .
Wondered if anyone else had any issues with ear defenders .

Offline xtine

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Defenders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04 2011, 02:30 PM »
Hi Steve

I not sure if you're trying to say that your new type ear defenders have made the MD worse.
I have to wear them at work when I'm working beside plant (I'm an archaeologist), and find that they help a lot. I have the ear plug types too, but don't really like putting things into my ears as it seems to make the tinnitus a bit worse.
On the upside, wearing any type of ear defender helps a lot with the hyperacusis. . . .

NEWOSA65

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04 2011, 03:02 PM »
Hi, when I am working I have no choice but to wear the ear defenders... if i don't wear them then the noise from my electric power tools temporarily makes me deaf (longest period of time being deaf after using the electric tools was 7 days!!!).  Both my ears were so deaf they felt numb!  And the laughable part is that I may only be using an electric drill!  The ear defenders which I use are very very good quality but i always notice that when i first put put them over my ears I feel ALOT of pressure pushing on my ear drums.  If I wear them continuously for more than 3 hours at a time I notice on the folowing day that my 'good ear' is very very noisy which makes me wonder what effect this has had on the inner ear mechanism?  On the other hand the ear plugs do not have this effect but they are not as effective and tend to make the insides of my ears very sore!  So, what I do now is to wear my usual ear defenders but regularly remove them as much as possible and this seems to have eliminated my passed feelings of pressure and tinnitus.  I must also mention that i only went down with Menieres disease after starting my self employment and using my noisy power tools without ear protection.  So who knows, maybe noise does play a big part in triggering this illness - our modern ways of living eg., cranking up the music whilst driving or attending noisy concerts or disco's etc etc may be a trigger to this illness?  One thing is for sure though - once this illness is triggered its too late then and no use looking back!  Simon

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02 2011, 12:44 PM »
Hi,

My consultant said that my history of loud noises was almost certainly the reason for my MD. he said that continuous exposure to loud noise made ND and tinnitis worse.