Author Topic: Living Without Balance--Bilateral Vestibular Loss  (Read 3959 times)

Offline auralie_shaw

• View Profile
Living Without Balance--Bilateral Vestibular Loss
« on: Jan 02 2004, 06:52 PM »
I have posted in the forum  General Meniere's Topics under Balance Question about living Without balance, or in the fancy words, bilateral vestibular loss or vestibulopathy.  One point to make here on this new topic, which perhaps should be in the other.

Many medications now act strangely on one.  Do see the site below:
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bilat/bilat.html
and scroll down to the section "Potential problem medications for patients with bilateral loss (the most common ones)"  This is very important as many physicians do not know this.  

Remember that bilateral vestibular loss gets rid of the vertigo.  But can still have the fluctuating dizziness, swimming in the head; tinnitus, ringing in the ears; and hearing variability; and the so aptly named brain fog.  By paying attention, these can be minor nuisances.  They can become major when treated for a condition where these drugs are necessary.
Peace and blessings.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Bilateral Loss
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03 2004, 12:11 AM »
Really good information Auralie!
Now I know why the amitryptiline and stemetil made me feel worse  :D

Elaine xx

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03 2004, 12:49 AM »
Interesting reading Auralie. Thanks for posting it.  :D
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05 2004, 05:24 PM »
Interesting reading.  I have unilateral loss only but many of the problems described for bilateral loss apply to my own experiences of living with a balance problem.
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06 2004, 04:29 PM »
Yes , very interesting.  I have unilateral loss only but have a 'lazy' eye which perhaps doesn't help.

Yvonne

Offline our lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06 2004, 08:23 PM »
I have a cyber friend who lost all hearing and vestibular function within a year. He is a young chap with a family so it is very difficult for him. He is a self-employed builder and still tries to work some of the time despite constant oscillopsia. He has a cochlear implant now and that has been a big help. The balance issue creates a tremendous challenge for him as one can imagine, but he does manage. It's amazing we have so many compensating factors. His diagnosis was a rare form of AIED MD.

Lizzy
It is always darkest before the dawn!

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
Re: Living Without Balance--Bilateral Vestibular Loss
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21 2014, 05:45 PM »
I have posted in the forum  General Meniere's Topics under Balance Question about living Without balance, or in the fancy words, bilateral vestibular loss or vestibulopathy.

Sorry, to bring this very old post back up - please if you are still about could you please let me know how you are all getting on? I have just been diagnoised with Vestibulopathy and would like to know how you all cope with it/live with it.  :)