Author Topic: Seasoning  (Read 4317 times)

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Seasoning
« on: Mar 24 2011, 08:38 PM »
You may all know about this already, but if not, Schwartz make a product called "Perfect Shake:  No added salt:  SEASON ALL".   It's a blend of spices and seasoning recommended for potatoes and chicken and it's really pretty good.   They also do one for steak.   But beware, they do a similar looking range which do have salt, so you need to check labels carefully - but we're all used to doing that.
Jeannette

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25 2011, 08:13 PM »
Thanks for that Jeanette,I,m always on the lookout for salt tips in my relentless quest for alternatives.I know not everyone agrees low salt helps but I believe theres an enormous psychological advantage in believing YOU are doing something to control your condition rather than being entirely at is mercy.It also seems to be the advice for MD literally all over the world so I'm thinking there must be something in it!
Chrissieg

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26 2011, 07:59 AM »
You are right, the placebo effect is a well known phenomenon. Chris x
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29 2011, 11:13 PM »
I'm hoping it's more than placebo, but who knows with this weird illness.   It must be generally healthier anyway, and I do agree, Chrissie G, about trying to do positive things to help control things.   In my case - though I am still (touch wood) so much less ill than most of you - I'm learning to grab rest when I feel things getting worse.   Mostly it's the balance stuff for me, walking sideways, and the lurching.   And above almost everything, the fear of the next real attack.   (Sorry, this is the food forum, I forgot.)  Jeannette

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30 2011, 08:10 AM »

I'm not as strict as I was but I do exercise daily and sweat a lot out and as soon as I feel it''s active I get strict again. There is no doubt that it helps even if it's just that it's good for your well being, same with sugar, healthy eating and drugs and alcohol. Exercise too. We may as well be as well as possible to met this thing head on. As for whether a low sodium diet improves the pressure ratios in the inner ear.., well the jury is still out.

I have a hunch we don't know much. But I'm not sure.
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30 2011, 09:06 AM »

Paull I had a bad night Monday and went to bed, slept for 12 hours for the 3rd night and woke up tired on Tuesday. Vision was off all day but I could function, forced myself to play tennis last night and by the time it was finished I felt as good as I can. And good today too. Vision ok. I didn't go mad and striking the ball was more instinct than precision early on but it worked wonders as it has in the past. I'm not suggesting people play tennis by the way but it happens to be a sport I have been good at and can do easily. A run, workout, yoga , any exercise could achieve  the same thing, it just happened to be tennis this time. It's definitely beneficial for me to get the system going, and maybe the salt levels are helped too over the longer run. I am cautious not to overdo it but I do believe it is possible to underdo it.

As for ENT's , they can't all be right. They disagree with eachother.
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

NEWOSA65

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30 2011, 09:30 AM »
Low salt used to help me when i initially went down with Menieres but having said that it may have been more to do with the 5mg diuretic tablets that i took daily?  To this day I have my doubts about the low sodium diet though... when things got really bad neither the low salt or the diuretics made any difference to my 3 - 4 big attacks of vertigo per week and i sometimes wonder why i continued with all the low salt/diuretic tablet advice, as it made no difference.  I know that Mr Brookes at the RNTNE thinks that Menieres has nothing to do with low salt.  What i do know is that we have a fault within the inner ear and because of this our balance mechanism is not able to control the amount of fluid anymore.  Whatever keeps triggering this condition is the big question?!  I have to admit though and I do agree with Paul, regular exercise does help!  I used to exercise very hard for many years and it helped my MD lots and lots!!!  Unfortunately i had a few injuries and had to discontinue for a few years during which time my MD became very bad and unmanagable!  So i do think that there is a link between MD and circulation?  I read an article yesterday on how effective vitamin B complex is on the MD!  Its funny really cos in those days when i kept fit and active, i also took this vitamin along with other vitamins and minerals, so maybe they also helped to keep the MD at bay?  I recall one healthcare practitioner suggesting that mega high doses of calcium and magnesium help to keep this thing away?!  Of course, one has to be careful though before heading out and overdosing on vits/minerals.  I found that the best vit/mineral tablet on the market was QUEST SUPER ONCE a day!  Expensive but ultra powerful and of course chelated to ensure max absorbtion unlike the usual rubbish we buy from sainsburys or tescos which is nearly all lost before it even enters the bloodstream... Cheers :-)

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30 2011, 12:15 PM »
What I'm learning from all this is that one of my problems is my current lack of exercise.   This because whenever I feel better and do anything more vigorous, I get worse.   Vicious circle.   But I shall try harder to find some form of exercise that I can cope with.   Thanks for all the advice.   (Mr Brookes told me to do the reduced salt diet, though not to be obsessive about it.)   All the best, everyone.   Jeannette.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30 2011, 12:48 PM »

Interesting you should mention circulation Simon as there's a school of thought about MS being triggered or worsened by something called CCSVI (chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency).  It's causing a lot of debate in the MS world at the moment and vascular surgeons abroad are performing angioplasty on neck veins.  In the UK neurologists are treating it sceptically but as lots of MSers have problems with balance, dizziness and vertigo it's making lots of people wonder if blood flow isn't a factor.

Chris x

Low salt used to help me when i initially went down with Menieres but having said that it may have been more to do with the 5mg diuretic tablets that i took daily?  To this day I have my doubts about the low sodium diet though... when things got really bad neither the low salt or the diuretics made any difference to my 3 - 4 big attacks of vertigo per week and i sometimes wonder why i continued with all the low salt/diuretic tablet advice, as it made no difference.  I know that Mr Brookes at the RNTNE thinks that Menieres has nothing to do with low salt.  What i do know is that we have a fault within the inner ear and because of this our balance mechanism is not able to control the amount of fluid anymore.  Whatever keeps triggering this condition is the big question?!  I have to admit though and I do agree with Paul, regular exercise does help!  I used to exercise very hard for many years and it helped my MD lots and lots!!!  Unfortunately i had a few injuries and had to discontinue for a few years during which time my MD became very bad and unmanagable!  So i do think that there is a link between MD and circulation?  I read an article yesterday on how effective vitamin B complex is on the MD!  Its funny really cos in those days when i kept fit and active, i also took this vitamin along with other vitamins and minerals, so maybe they also helped to keep the MD at bay?  I recall one healthcare practitioner suggesting that mega high doses of calcium and magnesium help to keep this thing away?!  Of course, one has to be careful though before heading out and overdosing on vits/minerals.  I found that the best vit/mineral tablet on the market was QUEST SUPER ONCE a day!  Expensive but ultra powerful and of course chelated to ensure max absorbtion unlike the usual rubbish we buy from sainsburys or tescos which is nearly all lost before it even enters the bloodstream... Cheers :-)
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline marie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30 2011, 03:34 PM »
thanks for hint of perfect shake will try it want to reduce my salt intake as much as i can  ::)

Offline Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04 2011, 05:56 PM »
I got myself some Lo-salt, trying to be better with my salt intake. Have to be a good label reader here, my teenage daughter has Coeliac Disease, so she can't have anything gluten related. I'm a label speed reader now.

Cat.x

PS. I have a terrible fondness for blackpepper and cayenne pepper of late. Am I odd? lol

The Wobbler

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04 2011, 07:14 PM »
Me too. Exercising/sweating removes a lot of salt from the bloodstream, so it may help in the same way that a low salt diet helps - just my silly theory ! It seems to make sense but if I said it to an ENT he'd probably laugh at me. On a bad day when my vision is flicking about all over the place and I am unable to concentrate, a 2 hour intensive work out puts me straight and the rest of the day is usually normal.

I think the important point is to fight this disease from all possible angles. Diet, stress, specific relaxation, low salt, avoid triggers, exercise, treatments like betahistine, self motivation and happiness all matter, its taken me 2 rotten years of pulling all that together to find what works and get any results, and thankfully, for now, I'm feeling much better, vertigo free and apart from the occasional crap day I'm able to lead a normal life and still work.

All that said, some ENT's think that whatever you do makes no difference (I disagree with them), but this disease is so random that you really can't prove that a given strategy or treatment works. However I think you're giving it your best shot if you do everything you can as stated above.

I think this post is on the money.

I have no idea why but I find that cycling makes me feel better.

And yet try to explain that to your HR department.  I have this balance related problem so when I have a day off I sometimes cycle.

It doesn't make sense.  But there again nothing related to MD does......