meniere

Author Topic: profoundly deaf in left ear  (Read 1604 times)

Offline elliemaye

• Visitor
    • View Profile
profoundly deaf in left ear
« on: May 05 2011, 01:22 PM »
i am profoundly deaf in my left ear which is the affected one been told a hearing aid will not work as the noise has to be above 90 decibels for anything to be heard in that ear so am now learning to live with this

how do you all cope with this i have to have the telly up loud if people call me from my left side dont hear and if there a lot of background noise i find it hard to hear my right ear is fine

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
Re: profoundly deaf in left ear
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2011, 07:15 PM »
Hi Elliemaye,
I also have lost most of my hearing in my left ear after a very severe attack last august .I have a sharp drop on my audiogram from about 2k onwards but seem to have reasonable low frequency hearing so I can still wear an aid but I do find it hard when I haven't got my aid in .It was a shock to me when it happened but I am kind of getting used to it now though it's not easy .
Elaine xx

Offline pamina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06 2011, 01:58 PM »
Hi Elliemaye

I'm also profoundly deaf in my left ear. I got a hearing aid in January but it doesn't really help at all, in fact sometimes it can be very disorientating, such as when I hear really loud bird song or the leaves rustling, but still can't hear what someone is saying.

So I'm afraid I would have to say that it probably wouldn't make any difference to you. I only wear my aid now when I am going to a social event where I think it might help me (triumph of hope over experience!)

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06 2011, 02:36 PM »
Hello, I am the same as Pamina as I have a hearing aid (my right ear though) but don't find it useful at all anymore so only wear it when my tinitus is really loud as it can be some help in reducing the noise.
I hate going to really busy restaurants etc..like with work as I can really only speak to the person next to me and the hearing aid just seems to enhance the noise everyone else is making so don't think you are missing out by not having one :)
Hope you are okay and dont let it get to you
Em x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D