meniere

Author Topic: Blogging about low salt diet  (Read 5731 times)

Offline beansontoast

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Blogging about low salt diet
« on: May 12 2011, 12:39 PM »
Hi all,

I've been doing the low salt thing for just under two weeks now, and have (probably coincidentally) felt pretty good. I've been getting dizzy for long enough to know a two week good patch doesn't equal recovery!

Anywho, my partner suggested I blog about the practicalities of following a low salt diet. So I am, and if anyone's interested in reading, it's here: http://saltlesssustenance.blogspot.com/

Best wishes

Robin

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Blogging about low salt diet
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2011, 02:24 PM »
Hi Robin
Had a look-this is great,thanks.
I follow a regime of below 2.5 gs of salt a day whenever i can.i use Lurpak unsalted lighter spreadable instead of ordinary butter. Like you i'm also veggie which can mean we are even further limited. I make bread in a machine but just cant tolerate it without any salt,it tastes too sweet for me so I just put in a very little to take the sweetness edge off and reckon that at least it is less salt than commercial varieties.I'm sure i feel better for cutting down the salt. If you had asked me before MD , I would have said I hardly ate salt as I have never added it to cooking but i now realise just how much there is ready made meals and snacks.I miss curry ,cheese and Marmite the most. I've also cut out aspartame,havent been told to do that but there seems to be a lot of contoversy about its safety and I was eating a fair bit in diet yoghuts,drinks etc
Some  people on this site dont feel salt is in an issue in their illness or MD generally but i find feeling i can do something tangible and achievable which may help is a psychological advantage.
i will await your futher posts!
Chrissieg
Chrissieg

Offline beansontoast

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17 2011, 04:25 PM »
Hi Chrissie,

It's been interesting, and I've been finding it a challenge, but not as difficult as I thought it would be. What I am realising is I won't be able to go out to eat and stay under my limit - but I don't eat out so often for that to be a serious issue, anyway.

I find being vegetarian makes things easier - I'm not suddenly having to cut out cured / processed meats, and I don't rely on ready meals often because the veggie options are often not all that great anyway,

But cheese! Oh my word, I love cheese, and am really missing Marmite. I've cut down my cheese-eating anyway because my partner is severely allergic to the stuff, but I love cheese on toast.

I've been fine with salt-free bread - I use a strong wholemeal flour that has a lot of taste (Dove's Farm) and have experimented with adding mixed herbs to one loaf, chilli to breadsticks, and walnuts to the last loaf. All very tasty - though I do understand what you mean about the sweetness.

Anyway, I'd love to know if you've found any good ways of eating out without completely going salt-mental!

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17 2011, 04:56 PM »
Hi again Robin,i dont spend all day on here but just came on and noticed you,d just posted!
I find eating out easier than snacking say for lunch. If you,re out or at work and havent got a lunch with you,its terribly difficult as all sandwiches,soup,wraps,even salads seem to be loaded with salt. the only safe option seems to be jacket potatoes as they have none so you can probably safely add coleslaw,maybe a small amount of beans or cheese.
I have been going out for quite a few evening meals recently.You need to be assertive and tell them not to add salt.If you say you have a medical condition, they get scared you  may sue if ill so will take this seriously.Often the waiter returns to tell me the chef is worried as some things are preseasoned when they have prepared earlier. I reckon thats probably Ok if you,ve been careful in the day.Just insist on no added salt.I think chains such as Pizza Express etc are impossible but an independent restaurant should be able to manage your order.You could even try phoning ahead if you know the menu and asking for it to be prepared without salt.
In the past I tended to prefer a starter to a sweet but have now changed due to this regime.If I have a starter at all it will be something like melon or salad with dressing on the side so you only have a bit.I think a pasta with vegetables is your safest choice. Also ,if you order something with a strong cheese such as Parmesan or goats cheese,you dont need much for the flavour. I've had a couple of nice pastas with spinach,tomatoes,pine nuts and goats cheese recently and just left some of the cheese.I reckon you can get away with that if you've been quite careful in the day and you have to have some pleasures! If you follow all that,you can please yourself for pudding-some consolation!
I also dont seem to have any problem with alcohol.thank God.My consultant said only" Menieres purists" (his words) deny themselves alcohol but many people on this site seem to genuinely suffer if they indulge so again, we're all different. He did say always avoid red wine but white wine and beer should be fine in  moderation.
Weatherspoons chain have a printed menu with salt values on and its available online,they do a couple of veggie options though not tried them myself.I'm not sure where you live but if anywhere near a Bistrot Pierre,they were brilliant.Cooked me something from scratch and have unsalted French butter in and with everything.I dont think friends realise just how difficult it can be eg even a bread roll can take you over the limit.I get resentful because whatever i order ends up being a compromise of what I can actually have rather than what I really want but i also dont want a spin so thats life now!
Hope you manage a meal out soon and enjoy it
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19 2011, 08:54 AM »
Me again on this issue!
Next week is World Salt Awareness Week and they have published a slim cookery book with low salt recipes by celebrities.Its meant to appeal to men especially as they are targetting heart health.You can find the booklet and download and print it off at www.worldactiononsalt.com
The recipes look quite good,how they taste may be another matter!
Chrissieg

Offline sparkymarky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03 2011, 10:35 AM »
I am still waiting for an MD diagnosis but I really don't want to be put on a low salt diet because I'm a chef! And flavour is everything :).

Good luck to all who have the willpower to follow a low salt diet, you are stronger than me!

Sparky

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03 2011, 05:58 PM »
I did try it .... briefly - although never from hearing from my docs but from reading on this - maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I didn't think it made any difference to me...as you say flavour is everything hehe  :P
Em xxx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04 2011, 08:21 AM »
Yep me too....tried it but for me it made no difference and I was really careful too.....

Would definately give it a try as for some it may work  :-\

SJx

Offline timh

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04 2011, 10:24 AM »
I followed a low salt diet for the past 9 years of MD and got used to it but it was sorely missed and was always a pain when you went out to dinner and had to make sure that the chef could cook you up a special dish.

Having said that I have recently had a Vest Nerve Section (refer my post in Introductions Blog) and when I got home from hosp my wife had left a wrapped presnet on the table which turned out to be a salt shaker with my name engraved on it..

Have just had a big fat juicy TBone steak cooked on the BBQ with a bit of salt and it was Soooooooooooooo Nice.

Regards

Tim @ Sydney Aust

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04 2011, 11:54 AM »
Having said that I have recently had a Vest Nerve Section (refer my post in Introductions Blog) and when I got home from hosp my wife had left a wrapped presnet on the table which turned out to be a salt shaker with my name engraved on it..

Have just had a big fat juicy TBone steak cooked on the BBQ with a bit of salt and it was Soooooooooooooo Nice.

:) That is soooo lovely how thoughtful!  ;) Pleased you enjoyed your steak....no chance of BBQ's here today....the rain has been non stop!!

Take care

SJx

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27 2011, 11:18 PM »
Just descovered Asda double glouster has far less salt than Sainsburies double glouster.
Weight watchers stuff tend to be low salt

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28 2011, 12:17 AM »
Because good cheese has always been a bit of a passion for me, it was hard giving it up, but I read about cheeses being soaked in great tubs of brine, which put me off a bit and helped.   I still miss it though.   I occasionally put half a cheese slice in a slice of bread - not really cheese, but it's amazing what can feel like a treat...   pathetic, really.

jeannette

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02 2011, 04:27 PM »
Sainsburys Emmenthal is .19 a slice-lowest proper tasting cheese I have found
Chrissieg

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02 2011, 05:14 PM »
Cheese? No-one ever mentioned cheese being bad for  MD!  Oh nooo. but that probably explains a lot of things, I will try and keep a food diary and see if it helps my symptoms.  Red wine is a trigger for me but I find that dry white wine is a life saver though and although naughty with some tablets it really helps to calm the balance.  :D

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02 2011, 07:04 PM »
Hi Rose - my consultant said to me never touch red wine but white wine and beer is fine in moderation. I have a glass most nights unless I'm spinning that day
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Elly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25 2011, 05:36 PM »
Hi,
I've just been told I may have MD after many months of dizziness. I'm going to go low sodium/no caffienne/no alcohol  :'(  How long does it take to see a change. I'm a bit of a foodie so I'm trying to be positive and look at what I can eat not what I can't.  Do you have any top tips about this? I plan to look at the blog but am currently enjoying unsalted peanut butter and unsalted rice cakes.
E

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25 2011, 07:55 PM »
Hi Elly
Search for low salt entries on this site, I know I have put a lot on about resources and recipes as I'm a believer in the regime.We,re all different though as I find I can tolerare alcohol OK. I'm a foodie too and found it very hard initially but have got used to it now and find I can eat out reasonably easily even with also being veggie. The main problem is grabbing a quick lunch if you havent prepared your own as shop bought sandwiches,soup,wraps even salads are very high in salt. I usually end up with a plainish jacket potato!

I think you need to give it a really good go and remember salt is in everything except vegetables and fruit. The doctors seem to recommend keeping under 2.5 gs of salt a day and remember that sodium is different and salt is 2.5x the sodium content.
It may not help you but it can be useful to feel you are doing something to help yourself.You would probably know within a few weeks if its helping you. Same with caffeine,I've got used to cafffeine free tea too now.
good luck
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25 2011, 11:53 PM »
Hi Elly,

I'm another believer in doing my best (not as well as Chrissie) with salt, and though I'm nearly always symptomatic, the last major and seriously disabling vertigo attack I had (touch wood!) followed (a) a prolonged period of tremendous strain, pushing myself to the limit and (b) through the same period relaxing my guard on the salt front as I was travelling.   It might have been (a) or (b) or a combination of both - but
I do believe that low salt and Serc have definitely helped me.   (I've actually been going through a pretty high stress period in the past several weeks, but staying as vigilant as possible on the salt front - so far, so good, but then again, I could go into one tomorrow - who knows with this random condition?  But I hope not.)

Re snacking, I've mentioned Bath Olivers recently, which I have with a thin spread of M&S peanut butter, which is not too high in salt.  And I do eat a lot of jacket potatoes for lunches.   I was out today and starving, and had to buy a sandwich - just an egg mayo - really high in salt, but it was yummy.   Reminded me, though, why I make my own mostly now.
I've been making veggy soups with tightly controlled ingredients in big batches, as all tinned soups are very high.  And like quite a few of us, I'm soon going to have a go at making bread, which I suspect will be disastrous.   My cooking's not bad, but my baking not good.   Could be a laugh, though.

Sorry to ramble.   In a rambling mood.  Good luck.

Jeannette

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26 2011, 02:16 AM »
Hi Elly,

I found it surprisingly easy to switch, but I did have to change from being a pescatorian back to eating meat, after 25 years! Once I did that, lots of possibilities opened up. Steak and chips is good, most meat dishes in fact. Curries and Chinese are a disaster, but fish and chips is ok. If you cook at home then you can control the salt levels. Get a breadmaker and you can use it to make pizza dough too. Use chilli, herbs and spices instead of salt. I don't miss it. And you can still have an occasional olive or bit of strong cheese, as long as you've been good that day.

I gave up caffeine with no problem, but giving up alcohol was a step too far and I still enjoy a pint and wine. Obviously you have to take the salt content into account, where appropriate. I think 2.5g a day is perfectly manageable.

Andrew

Offline Elly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26 2011, 01:01 PM »
Thanks for all your advice. Tried making my own bread but the motion of kneading sent me into a dizzy spell. lol. You have to have a sense of humour about this don't you.
 :o

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26 2011, 03:24 PM »
Apparently, get a breadmaker and you don't need to knead.  Hope that's so, otherwise I won't be doing it either.  Jeannette

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26 2011, 03:49 PM »
Yes, no kneading involved with a bread maker. Just shove in the ingredients and press 'start'!