Author Topic: 2nd Gentamicin injection  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Gidge

• View Profile
2nd Gentamicin injection
« on: Jun 10 2011, 07:39 PM »
Hi everyone - had my 2nd Gent. jab yesterday, no probs with the procedure, and very little earache during the evening. Today very tired, not really very dizzy, no vertigo. Brain fog is coming on, but I have managed to do 40 mins Wii (in 2 sessions) so feeling quite optimistic. The surgeon says he intends doing 4 jabs - he is hopeful that will give me permanent respite from vertigo. That would be a miracle !!! I am very cautious about the whole thing - it will be a while before I can stop thinking it's coming back to bite me - if it does I know I will be pretty disheartened, so trying not to think too far ahead.
So far so good !!!!
Gill
Onwards and upwards !  (Spins permitting.........)

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Gentamicin injection
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11 2011, 07:20 PM »
Hi Gill
Really glad the second jab went well. It's great that you've managed to do 40mins on the wii fit too!
Hope your good progress continues, keep us all posted!
Take care
SJx

Offline pollypenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12 2011, 12:11 AM »
sounds like the gent is working for you -i'll keep my fingers crossed for you xx

penny

Offline Jane G

• Trusted member
  • Me on a good day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12 2011, 05:55 PM »
Hi there, great to hear its going well.  Sometimes its best to literally just take one day at a time, hope things continue to improve for you

Regards

Jane
Be Positive, It Helps!!

Offline allanander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12 2011, 08:53 PM »
Hi Gidge,
Great to hear that things are going okay.  My consultant only gave me one Gent injection and wants to se me in three months time.  It has made a massive difference to me even though I have had to mini spins since having it done but the caused me no problems and didn't leave me laid up like they used to.  Hope you stay well for a long time.  take care.
Allan

Offline Jane G

• Trusted member
  • Me on a good day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13 2011, 12:10 PM »
Hi all,

Its funny isnt it how each consultant does these injections so differently.  Wouldnt it be really useful if they put all their techniques together on a database and then looked to see which one works best.  Anyway glad its working for you
Be Positive, It Helps!!

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13 2011, 09:54 PM »
Hi

Yes Jane I am with you on this one - I have been offered Gent but it would not be via injections it would be an op where they lift the eardrum and put directly in place - hence I am really unsure what to do  :-\ Also not many people on here seem to have had the procedure done in this way so little information on what it could be like/outcome etc.

My apt for this has not come through yet so I will continue to research and think about it.........

SJx

Offline Gidge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14 2011, 09:43 AM »
Update on Day 4 after the 2nd jab - I haven't had so much of the dizziness I had after the first one, but seem to be more 'wiped out' - having to pace myself, getting lots of night-time sleep (8-9 hours) but still feeling tired & brain fogged. Not got the confidence yet to go gallivanting on my own, a friend is taking me to Asda tomorrow (oh joy!), another is visiting on Thursday & hopefully we will go out for lunch, and on Saturday a VERY good friend is taking me out for a walk along the seafront at Lee ! I feel I need a good fast walk on my own - I usually go out with my husband, who is not well and walks at a snails pace, and I'm finding it really diffuicult to walk that slowly - also I need to take his arm, so I'm not walking on my own.
I have found going down the garden in the dark (after slugs !) is a bit difficult - that's new.

I didn't wear my hearing aid for a few days after the jab and found the tinnitus much louder and intrusive - it's changed to pulsing in time with my heartbeat - but I don't notice it so much when I am wearing the aid. (My assumption is that when sound isn't getting through properly my head just makes it up!).

All in all, it looks to me that the Gent. is doing something - still no vertigo - hurrah !!!!!! My next jab is due June 30th, if they don't call me in before.....

Offline otmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14 2011, 12:03 PM »
So glad you are making progress, Gidge. After my 2nd Gent injection there was a time of recovery and readjustment, too. There is a long corridor at work where I tested myself by trying to walk the length without veering off the center line of tiles. I went from several wobbles to only one (and a brisk pace) after a couple of weeks. Resuming some hiking is my plan, but a head cold has put that on hold for now. I am so thankful to be vertigo free 6 weeks now and hopefully many more to come. Good luck to you with your MD (and your battle against the nasty slugs!).

otmom

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14 2011, 03:13 PM »
That's great and long may it continue.

good luck with getting back on track with the 'slug hunt'  ;D :D
(your cmment made me giggle!)

SJx

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14 2011, 05:44 PM »
Thats lovely news I really hope it has fully worked for you

Emma x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Gidge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16 2011, 06:54 PM »
Well, it's a week ago today I had my 2nd Gent jab - I am not so tired the last couple of days, but am a bit more unsteady; I've been doing the Wii Fit balance exercises every morning for half an hour, not up to my previous scores (dammit !) but that gives competitive me something to aim for.
A friend took me to Asda yesterday, a short visit, OK with a trolley; another friend came today & we went out to lunch, all went well, and tomorrow another mate was going to take me for a walk (bless!) but as it will be raining she will come and show me some walking exercises, up and down the hallway apparently (before she retired she was an NHS postural stability therapist - went into people's homes to help them with exercises after they had falls).
So I'm being well looked after by friends.
On balance (sorry!) I am feeling better in some ways, less brain fog & muzzy headed, less tired, but more wobbly - probably just walking around more as I am more awake.  My next jab is scheduled for June 30th.

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17 2011, 11:10 AM »
Hi Gidge

It sounds like you're making great progress! That's really good to hear. I'm now several weeks on from my final jab and after some initial spins have had no vertigo at all. I'm getting used to waking up in the morning feeling confident about the day ahead. I'm also doing VRT to improve the unsteadiness - walking along and looking behind at the same time produces amusing results!

One thing I've been told, which has affected the way I use the Wii fit (ain't it great?!) is that jogging is the worst possible exercise, because the head bobbles up and down. Cycling (the outdoors kind) is best, beause the head keeps still. The cycling game on the Wii fit seems less jarring than the jogging too.

Andrew

Offline Gidge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20 2011, 08:07 PM »
Hi Andrew - 11 days after my 2nd jab now, still no vertigo but still unsteady - not so bad indoors but walking along the road v. tricky and tiring. Turning my head or sharply looking down are unsteadying (Have I just invented a word?) , next jab still scheduled for the 30th (The hospital contacted me on Friday about an appt I didn't know I had for Wednesday, but they had made an outpatient follow-up one in error, so that's been cancelled now - bit worrying!)
Still enjoying the Wii Fit Plus - even did bit of tennis on the Wii Sport this afternoon ! I started off well, but soon returned to my usual losing streak.....sound familar for all the Wimbledon fans?
Gill

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20 2011, 08:20 PM »
Hi Gill

Yes, the unsteadiness and head turning issues are perfectly normal, and it sounds as though you are following the same path as I did. You'll feel really tired too - I'm only just beginning to get some energy back.

I'm now having VRT for the unsteadiness, which is helping. Might be worth a try, although probably after you've completed all the jabs.

Andrew

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20 2011, 09:11 PM »
Great to hear that it is all still going well and long may it continue......keep up with that Wii am sure you will get back to your old scores in no time! You sound very determined!!
Well done you! Take care,
SJx