Author Topic: Afraid of morning...  (Read 2936 times)

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Afraid of morning...
« on: Jun 15 2011, 12:15 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else has the problem I've been left with because my major attacks have happened on trying to get up from sleep?  And usually having woken earlier to go to the loo and being absolutely fine, going back to sleep, and then - bang, and you know the rest.   Anyway, I realize that I'm fearful (not excessively, I'd say, thank goodness, but fearful nonetheless) when I go to sleep at night in case it's going to happen again, and then when I wake and am lying still and OK, how will it be when I start to move my head?   Not nice.   Actually quite depressing and not healthy in itself.   If it continues, I might pay a visit to my good hypnotherapist and see if she can lend me a hand with it...

Anyone else have similar issues? 

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Afraid of morning...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15 2011, 09:21 AM »
Yes,Jeanette,i do know what you mean.i've not had a major spin  now for 9 months but STILL wake every morning and dread opening my eyes in case " todays the day" it all comes back.My CBT counselling has helped a lot but there is still that dread and foreboding which really sisnt a good or healthy way to embark on each day.
Could you have a radio alarm so that words are waking you up and focussing your mind on their content rather than your negative thoughts - just a random idea!
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15 2011, 09:54 AM »
Hi Jeanette. During the night can be my worst time for getting attacks so I know what you mean - I often dream dizzy too if that makes sense....
I hope you are okay though and I keep seeing people mentioning CBT and wonder if this would be of help to you.
Best wishes
Emma x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15 2011, 10:26 AM »
Hi girls ,
Interesting how it all affects us .I can cope with anything it throws at me so long as it is within my own 4 walls so to speak .If it's when I'm out and about then I struggle to go back to a place where I've had an attack and this is where my fear of concerts and similar type functions is coming in .Both my daughters are graduating next month and I'm dreading the graduation ceremonies .I'm fine with informal things where I can pace myself and leave if I need to but I dread not being able to get out in time and making a public show of myself
Elaine xx

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15 2011, 10:57 AM »
So good to get your responses.   Really so comforting - not that I'm glad you're like that too, Chrissie.   I don't, thankfully, dream spins in deep sleep, but I frequently doze and dream of things that trigger me - very odd and so not nice.   And it's not just fear for me on waking, because even on good mornings I'm pretty unsteady now.   Oh well, it's still good to know you're not alone.   And one day I may consider CBT, except my only experience of that many years ago was no good for me, whereas this particular hypnotherapist seems to reach my subconscious.

Elaine, I'm totally with you.   I know now how to cope here, but I avoid a great deal that's out and about and public, and try to stick with informal with lovely people.   When I read about the places and events that other MD sufferers are brave enough to venture to, I marvel.   I'm actually too weak these days a lot of the time to even try, and when I overdo, I suffer for it.   (Though I have to remind myself that going all the way to the US was pretty bold, so I suppose I'm not as much of a wimp as I feel today.)

Enough of me, me, me!   Thanks very much for helping.   Jeannette

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15 2011, 11:11 AM »
I just noticed I've become a senior member - I'm very impressed with myself!   (Although I know my place in the scheme of things - especially with Moderators!)   Jeannette

Interesting notion about the alarm, though the smallest sounds seem to startle me awake these days, so I'm not sure it would work.

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15 2011, 11:36 AM »
Jeanette

Because I still work - can work from home 2 days a week, but have to drive in 3 days - I find myself dreading opening my eyes and facing the day on the days I have to go to work.  I suppose it's only human nature, but my mind is already anxious: will I be OK, will I be able to drive, what if I can't and I have to call in sick because I've used up my 2 days at home, what if I can't make that meeting..?  You know you shouldn't do it, you know the stress might cause the very thing you want to avoid, but it's so hard to wake up with a blank canvas and just let the day paint itself on.

Tony
I intend to live forever...so far so good.

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15 2011, 12:57 PM »
And to know that people can't totally (or even 50%) depend on you any more.   I find that hard.   What we need is to be able to say 'I feel good this minute, I need to go out etc now'.   Planning is tough and often pointless, yet not to make plans would be like giving up and even worse.   Hope you manage to keep driving in on those three days, at least for the most part, Tony.

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15 2011, 01:25 PM »
Thanks, Jeanette.

Yes, the whole planning and dependability issue can isolate you if you're not careful.  I think it's important to carry on planning as much as possible, but with reasonable expectations.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15 2011, 02:05 PM »
That's the bit I find hardest too Tony.If I've calmed things with the steroids then most days are "can " days but when all my conditions (including MD ) are misbehaving like now then I find I'm spending a lot of time cancelling appointments and social meets .Thankfully I'm happy to be spontaneous but it's not very practical when nobody is around to be spontaneous with me  ::)
Elaine xx

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15 2011, 02:31 PM »
It's a minefield, Elaine - and you certainly find out who your friends are.

Offline Jane G

• Trusted member
  • Me on a good day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15 2011, 03:43 PM »
Hi Jeanette, I too completely understand what you are saying, hypnosis is definitely worth a try.  Nighttime spins and the fear of them is tough to deal with and I find quite isolating so its great to get it off your chest here!
Be Positive, It Helps!!

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15 2011, 05:34 PM »
I don't think this lady practices hypnosis as such, but her techniques are very effective - no magic, and you're never under any influence.  Lots of deep relaxation, something called (oh, gosh, I've forgotten what it's called, which is a big help to anyone else!) and mantras and suchlike to use in appropriate situations, and in such a way that no one would know.   When I'm really stressed, however, of course I forget to use the techniques.
xx Jeannette

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15 2011, 06:03 PM »
Totally agree Tony and it makes you so antisocial at times doesn't it ? I find people I've got to know since I got ill are fine with it cos they'vbe never known me any other way but some long time friends don't understand or don't want to be saddled with a sick friend  :-\
Elaine xx

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15 2011, 07:27 PM »
Very interesting reading on this post...thanks guys  :)

What I struggle with is the fact that just because I don't go on about it all the time people - especially work colleauges - think that you are fine. A couple of weeks ago I had a big spin and someone at work said oh it's so hard as you've been ok now for quite a while!! Well if you call - being constantly off balance, frequent stumbles, tinnitus, mini spins and the worry of what each day will bring ok then YES!! I am sure you will all know what I mean even if I haven't written it all that well!!

Just wanted to add my little bit, hope thats ok!!  :)

SJx

Offline Dizzybee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15 2011, 09:31 PM »
Hi Jeanette
I suffer from chronic BPPV and when I have a really bad night when I'm tossing and turning the spinning is so bad I can't get out of bed without help. Other times I just get out of bed really slowly and this seems to help me.
I have had CBT and found it very helpfull, I did a lot of relaxation in my sessions.
Dizzybee

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15 2011, 10:13 PM »
SJ, I think you've written it perfectly for us all.   And, oh, yes, I'm sure some people think I'm antisocial, or certainly a bit weird.   Not my real friends, though, thankfully.   (Or maybe a bit too - that's another reason this forum is such a lifesaver.)
xx to you all, Jeannette

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 15 2011, 10:53 PM »
You sum it up perfectly, SJ

People need to see you falling or heaving over a bowl or they think you are fine.  Even people who know all about your condition tend to forget or, more likely, can't really empathise because they can't possibly know how it feels.

A woman who used to work in our admin office admitted to me that she used to think my absences were just me pulling 'sickies' until she had labyrinthitis which laid her low for 2 weeks.  She told me if that's how my life was she certainly didn't envy me.

Fact is - and I fear it will always be thus - our condition is just not 'sexy' enough; even if so many of my fellow sufferers are  ;)  We have no headscarves, no plaster casts, no wheelchair, no scars, ergo we must be mostly OK...we know different, of course, but it's an uphill battle trying to convince others of that.  These days I don't even bother - I smile and nod at the platitudes and move on.

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16 2011, 02:51 PM »
Fact is - and I fear it will always be thus - our condition is just not 'sexy' enough; even if so many of my fellow sufferers are  ;)  We have no headscarves, no plaster casts, no wheelchair, no scars, ergo we must be mostly OK...we know different, of course, but it's an uphill battle trying to convince others of that.  These days I don't even bother - I smile and nod at the platitudes and move on.

Yep that's kinda where I am it can be frustrating but the constant explanations drive you crazy so I like you more often than not just don't bother! At least we have each other on here and we know how it feels!

Take care all,
SJx

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 19 2011, 10:09 PM »
i cope by working nights, so can go from lying to up slowly that way ive got 4 hours to be okay, instead of alarm teeth, breakfast, work,
inside an hour.

when im on nights off my alarm goes, i ring my son from my mobile to his whilst im still lying down, to tell him to get up.

by the time hes finished in the bathroom and come in to me for a cuddle im ready to sit up a bit, then when hes dressed we go down stairs together.

works for us!

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20 2011, 11:19 AM »
Sounds like you've got it well organized.   xx Jeannette