Author Topic: WORK AND MENIERES  (Read 4969 times)

Offline squib

• View Profile
WORK AND MENIERES
« on: Jun 17 2011, 01:59 PM »
Hi all

I have not posted for a while but still log on occassionally to see how you all are.

I am very confused and depressed at the moment as I have not been very well for about the last 6 weeks. I had a really good spell from about the end of January to the beginning of May. I had reduced my hours to part time at work and they had eventually complied with Occupational Health and I had my own quieter seating area etc. I even got a parking space as they realised that by the time I had parked and walked in to work I was useless.

Then I got the flu and chest infection and my head has not been right since. I have had two really bad spins with a lot of sickness ( even the Buccastem didnt work ). I have also had a couple of falls and ended up with a twisted ankle and bruised arm just because I am so disorientated. I did try to go back to work but within a day they were sending me back home as unfit.

I just don't know what to do. My Manager has also told me that everything has now changed again and that I will have to sit in a very noisy area ( I work in a very noisy, busy callcentre on inbound calls ) as she has been moved and to stay on her team I will have to go with her. They will not let me sit back in my quiet corner. It took two years to transfer to her team due to bullying issues with other Managers. It has taken me years to get what I have and I just feel sick of fighting the system. My Manager has discussed with me the possibility of being retired through ill health as in my present state I cannot do the job. I must admit I also feel like this as having worked most of my life even part time the job may be too much. There has also been discussion about other work but I just keep getting told there is nothing they can give me.

If anyone has had to give up work because of MD and related problems I would love your feedback as at the moment the mere mention of going back to work makes me feel sick and depressed. I used to look forward to going to work now I dread it. Sorry for going on but just needed to get it all out.

Take Care
Lynne

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: WORK AND MENIERES
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17 2011, 02:51 PM »
Sorry to hear you've reached that point.  I can't offer you advice because I'm not quite there myself, but I do see it in the not-too-distant future.  I'm allowed to work from home 2 days a week, but the job is becoming more stressful because it demands more of my concentration and attention and I'm finding I'm now lacking in those areas, and that's before I address the issue of fatigue, etc.

I wish you well and I hope someone can guide you through the next stage.

Tony
I intend to live forever...so far so good.

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17 2011, 06:23 PM »
Dear Lynne,

I'm so sorry for your situation.  Sadly, all I have to offer is sympathy, because I work from home.   But I do know that if things were different, there is simply no way that I could continue going out to work.   The fatigue alone, and the inability to be 'ourselves' so much of the time, not to mention the huge physical problems, is all so very stressful.   I hope someone on the forum or elsewhere will be able to give you some more practical advice.

Meantime, very good luck and warm wishes.

Jeannette

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17 2011, 06:51 PM »
I am sorry to say I too can only offer sympathy...I do hope you are okay though and look into your options thoroughly! Would you qualify for DLA?? I hope you can come to a solution that suits you and your needs and try not to worry and get down. Please keep on here and let us know how you get on. I really wish I had some good advice to offer you and hope others who can will.
Emma x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17 2011, 07:17 PM »
Hi ,
I'm so sorry you've reached this point.I've not been there myself  but I hope you manage to resolve things one way or another
Elaine xx

Offline mum14cats

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17 2011, 07:37 PM »
Hi there, I have some experience of this. I worked for a chain of craft stores as store assistent. I was there for about 5 months when i first fell ill with md although wasnt diagnosed until 18 months later. I was off for 7 months then returned on reduced duties and hours. it took 3 months to get back to my of 16 hours of week it should have took 1 month but none of us realised it would take so much out of me and at the time i was told it was uncompensated labyrinthitis and i would recover. However i went of sick again after being back for 5 months and 6 months later they started disciplinary prodeedings to get rid of me.
I actually agreed with them on this matter. I was useless to them as i knew deep down i couldnt do the job and i felt it wasnt fair on them and the other staff who had to cover my absence. if i thought i would recover i might have fought for it but to be honest i just felt that i was trying to get better just to go back to work not for me and leaving work was the best decision i have made.
I have had time to adjust to having this illness and work out my limitations and what will be a better career for me. It has not been easy with money etc and ESA is a nightmare as it doesnt have anything to do with dizzy spells or vertigo. so you will have a fight on your hands with that.
But only you can decide if this is what is best for you. sometimes you have to bite and bullet and put yourself first. hope this helps. sandie.
Trying to be postive xx

Offline squib

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17 2011, 09:17 PM »
HI all

Thank you so much all for your wishes and support. I can't tell you how much it has cheered me up. I can now face the weekend feeling a little better.

I can fully understand what you say Sandie about the fatigue etc. As I work for a major bank there is so much that we have to learn on a daily basis as everything changes and also face regular tests as well. I do get tired very easily. The workload is huge and many people complain but nothing ever gets done. This combined with my silly head makes me feel I am sometimes going crazy.

I have been receiving DLA now for 4 years and have just been told they will renew for another 2 years from this year so at least I have that. I have also been to see a Disability officer at the jobcentre who was very helpful regarding benefits etc. I think the problem I have is that I feel like I have failed because I want to work but just dont know what to do. It will be hard to let go. I just feel that at the moment I cant continue with the job I am in.

Has anyone any experience of being retired from work with ill health. Does work do this or do you have to go to your GP or Consultant for them to make the first move. Would appreciate any help you can give.

Keep smiling
Lynne

Offline redflash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08 2011, 11:28 PM »
The disability adviser at the job centre can come to your place of work and do an assessment and talk to your employer about reasonable adjustments. This includes options such as flexible working hours, working from home and making reasonable adjustments in the work place such as finding you quieter working areas. Your employer cannot refuse them access. 

If you are already receiving DLA then presumably you are already considered disabled and you will be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and Equality Act 2010.  HR laughing at you is harassment.

Do not let your employer get away with this, if they sack you they could be facing an employment tribunal I am suprised your Union are not informing you of your rights but sometimes the arrogance and ignorance of employers, HR and employers legal teams amazes me.

Take a look at the thread entitled menieres disease and disability on March 4th this year it may help and make sure you take a Union rep or work colleague with you to any meetings and ensure that notes are taken as you may need to refer to them in the future.  Best of luck with this.

Offline vikyjane

• Gravity don't mean that much to me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09 2011, 03:09 PM »
Hi Lynne,

I'm so sorry you're having such a rotten time. I do have some experience of this myself.

When I first started to experience symptoms I was working for a recruitment company and the job often involved on-site visits to factories and such. I can remember being in one factory and being so dizzy I almost fell onto one of the machines and had to be helped outside. As things progressed it wasn't feasible or safe for me to work in this kind of environment, even just days in the office were bad as it was so loud and busy. I had a lot of time on the sick and my boss was getting visibly fed up, especially since at the time I wasn't diagnosed and all I could offer by way of explanation was "I feel dizzy".

I was very very very lucky to get a new job working at home for an online bingo site. This way I can control the noise levels and temperature and it's a lot less traumatic when I do have a spin. (that's not to say that some nights I'm not working with my head propped up on cushions and a sick bucket next to me, but at least the work is getting done!) it's half of the salary I used to be on but I'll take that for the good of my health. I'm so thankful for the job.

For yourself, I've worked in a call centre and know how loud they can be and how the teams are always being moved around, also how strict they are on sickness. As part of working in recruitment I studied employment law and, as someone already said, the company has to take reasonable steps to accomodate you. I think some managers and HR teams don't know how to deal with a disability such as ours so try to push people into retirement due to ill health. Don't let them push you into it if you don't want to!!! It's their responsibility to make you comfortable and even provide extra training if you miss work and need it.

I hope things work out for you.

Stay strong,

Viky xx

Offline Gibson335

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09 2011, 04:15 PM »
Lynne

It was particularly concerning that, having improved things for you they are now making changes that can only worsen things for you.  This is most certainly something you should fight against, because they will find it hard to justify and it is certainly not 'reasonable'.  If changes they make cause you problems, you will have a strong case against them, but if you don't want it to go that far then dig your heels in - this is NOT right!

Tony
I intend to live forever...so far so good.