meniere

Author Topic: ..Now I have to decide.....  (Read 1328 times)

Offline SJ

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 606
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
..Now I have to decide.....
« on: Jul 16 2011, 06:24 PM »
Hi all

Well after an interesting (?  ::) ) week today the letter I had been dreading came! I am at the top of the admissions waiting list - so now I have to decide if I want/need to go ahead with the gent op that has been offered.

When I last saw my consultant he said that it would be the next option however he said if while I was waiting I didn't have any big spins then prob best not to have now. Well I have had about 3 spins since then but none of them as bad as I was getting back in Oct/Nov. What worries me is that he warned me I would be alot worse before I was better.....at the moment I just about manage day to day - it's not always great but I kinda cope mostly. So do I really want to put myself into a worse situation????

I know you guys can't make my mind up for me but I really would appreciate your thoughts/views on this as I am struggling with what to do...

We have a little bit of sun in Sussex now after a very rainy day...hope all you guys have managed some good weather  :)

Thanks again for listening...

SJx

Offline chrissieg

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 746
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16 2011, 07:15 PM »
Hi SJ

Not an enviable position to be in,probably easier in the old days when we all just did what the doctor said!

My understanding of the gent treatment is that it is only offered when you reach a certain point and that it reduces symptoms in over 90% of patients and completely removes symptoms in 80%.If you are feeling below par every day,even if it is manageable,I think I would go with it if I had the support at work and home to get through the initial reactions.
Good luck whichever way you decide
Chrissieg
Chrissieg

NEWOSA65

  • Guest
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16 2011, 07:36 PM »
Hi Sarah,

You already know my view on this BUT if you do feel that you are managing at the moment then maybe you should cancel the appt and see how things go - remember that you can always make another appt for the gent treatment later, so please do not feel cornered into having the treatment at this stage if you prefer to leave it a little longer?  I think it normally takes 8 - 12 weeks for an appt to come around so you wouldn't have to wait too long if you decided to cancel now and have the treatment later...

Take care :-)

Simon x

Offline Gibson335

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16 2011, 11:23 PM »
SJ

As you say, only you can decide.  If it were me, and my symptoms had improved, even though I was still being affected, I'd probably put it off and see what happened.  You can pull out at any time, so you needn't decide until you get the call/letter offering the appointment.  That may buy you a little more time, during which things may change again.

My own instincts would be to not have the treatment if I was doubtful - once done there's no going back.  I'd need to be certain in my own mind that it was right and that it was the right time.

I don't envy you this tough decision, and I can only wish you all the best whichever way you decide to go.

Tony
I intend to live forever...so far so good.

Offline jeannette

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1200
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16 2011, 11:55 PM »
Same from me, SJ.   I don't have the experience, but I'm with Tony on this.   I'd put it off  and wait and see.   I think from everything I've heard/read, you'll know when it's time.  Lots of luck.   Jeannette

Offline Elaine

  • Standard User
  • *
  • Posts: 2419
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17 2011, 10:26 AM »
I'm kind of with the others .Be guided by how you feel but if you're ok put it off .As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it  ;)
Elaine xx

Offline SJ

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 606
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17 2011, 02:30 PM »
Hi all

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been and still am thinking alot about the direction I should go. My gut reaction is that I should discuss further with my consultant and put of for now...I am going to give myself a few more days just to make sure I know I am making the right decision, I am also going to try and get that apt (wish me luck  ::) ) with my GP tomorrow and will discuss with her too.

Once again thank you for listening the advice from you guys really does help  :)

SJx

Offline Emma

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1084
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18 2011, 04:06 PM »
Hello, just wanted to wish you luck with your decision, not a nice one to have to make I am sure...although if it means you are vertigo free for life...then again you might get to that without surgery..
Tough one.
Good luck and hope you get to have a good chat with your consultant
Emma xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline SJ

  • Trusted member
  • *****
  • Posts: 606
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: ..Now I have to decide.....
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19 2011, 07:15 PM »
Hi Emma
Welcome back  :)

Thanks for the message - I have decided to put it of for now and go back to my consultant - I am sure i will have to wait an age for that apt to come through so at least I will be able to see how things go between now and then!!
It was hard to decide but it's not a final no or anything just a bit more time to see what happens......

SJx