Author Topic: Progressive Hearing Loss  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Progressive Hearing Loss
« on: Aug 18 2011, 01:31 PM »
Hi everyone ,
I wondered if any of you knew if there is a pattern to way hearing loss progresses with this thing ? I have lost all of my hearing from 4k and above but now think it might be getting worse below that .Is this the way things go ? My right is behaving totally differently and seems to be going slowly lower across all frequencies with a marked dip at the very low ones as one would expect according to all the theories .
Also do you have to go profoundly deaf in both ears to have a cochlear implant or would they do one ear if there was still some hearing left in the other ?
Any input would be helpful
Elaine xx

Offline Rose

• View Profile
Re: Progressive Hearing Loss
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02 2011, 12:16 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I am just researching this myself, I was told that my hearing tests showed a definite MD type of loss. off to google now, good luck :)

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12 2011, 12:42 PM »
Hey - I was under the understanding that the hearing can fluctuate so when you are having a good spell there is more hearing there as when you are having a bad spell things can get a lot worse and through every major attack (phase) you have you loose a little bit more...
I hope that helps
Em xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

NEWOSA65

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12 2011, 04:41 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I know a couple of fellow sufferers who have had CI's - one of them had a surgical laby and then had a CI later and regained the hearing and then later had a second surgical laby on his other ear and then a CI in that!  Once again regained hearing... so, it seems like that a CI can be done in one ear at a time.

Sorry to hear how things are though, this disease is a complete nightmare!  Hope this as helped Elaine..

Take care,

Simon :-) x

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12 2011, 07:07 PM »
Thanks everyone . That's really helpful Simon - hopefully I can hang on a bit till I need one  ;)
Yes I do get the fluctuations - more so in my right ear which has been known to cut out completely in mid sentence   :-\  The hearing on my left ear which is now very deaf wsn't too bad until last year .
Elaine xx

Offline amezcua

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15 2011, 04:18 PM »
With you being a cellist , have you ever tried those bone headphones that go direct to your skull?  You could arrange a pickup on a cello easily and have a new experience independant of the normal way. They just fit behind the ear against the bony bits. Nothing like an operation is necessary.  Many violin players get that sort of pleasure through the direct collarbone contact .  It`s very addictive.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15 2011, 07:06 PM »
No I haven't.Thanks for your suggestion .I think I do get pick up from the vibrations from the cello through my body a bit .My cello is still loud enough for me to hear and thankfully in the range that I still have some hearing left .I do struggle with listening to classical music on CDs tho  :(
Elaine xx

Offline amezcua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17 2011, 01:19 AM »
I play (ed ) a violin but find that writing on a violin forum takes me away from actually playing. So not very past tense but enough to feel guilty. Bone conductor headphones is the correct name for them. It makes  a deeper contact with the music I believe.  The energy in a cello would cope with just a little elctronics.  Maybe that`s why they bang the tuning forks on their heads .

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17 2011, 09:36 AM »
Yes I joined a cellists forum years ago but gave up on it .
That is why they put the tuning forks onto the bones behind their ears .Our conductor used to do it so he could hear it better with all the back ground noise from the tuning up going on
Elaine xx

The Wobbler

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17 2011, 11:01 AM »
Some of the replies on this thread have confused me.

I had believed that;

1 MD hearing loss was both progressive and permanent (i.e. irreversible).

2 That each full attack played a part in that progression of the hearing loss, albeit that it was a long term trend as there was daily fluctuation in the performance of the ear.

3 This progression was manifested by hearing loss directly after an attack, but this was followed by partial (i.e. to a slightly lesser level than pre-attack) recovery.

Which of the above are not true?