Author Topic: Episodic Ataxia  (Read 2801 times)

Offline tricia

• View Profile
Episodic Ataxia
« on: Apr 11 2004, 11:48 AM »
Hi Everyone

Had a very productive appointment with my new Neurologist in Glasgow he thinks that I could have episodic ataxia instead of Menieres disease since after 4 years vertigo attacks there is still not change in my hearing tests, and this also causes pressure, tinnitus, nausea and rotational vertigo.  If it is this it can be controlled by Acetazolamide medication which is good news.  
This ataxia runs in families and I have to investigate my fathers side of the family because my dad has attacks of vertigo but they said it was old age, but they are keeping an open mind as it might not be, and it could still be Menieres that I have.

The plan is to start the Acetazolamide and see how things go for 6 months attacks wise and they should be able to yes it is ataxia or not.  The neurologist is planning to follow me along and it is a long way to travel from Aberdeenshire but was worth it.

Would you like me to keep you all updated, as to how things go.

Best Wishes

Tricia

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Episodic Ataxia
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11 2004, 02:49 PM »
Hi Tricia
It would be very interesting to hear how you go.  What causes the episodic ataxia?
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Episodic Ataxia
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11 2004, 05:19 PM »
Tricia--Yes I wouldlike to read how you get on with the new treatment,especially in Scotland. Isaw a consultant fromDundee a few years ago but as I thought/when one is old(er)!!!!!and Icope in my quiet way,they just say 'keeptaking the pills' ie serc.
  My own doctor,when I have an appointment just placates? me and I think to myself,why did I bother going.
  Fiona
  Good Luck

Anonymous

Episodic Ataxia
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11 2004, 06:16 PM »
Hi Christina and Fiona

I will keep you upto date with how I get on, with the new medication I have been told that if this one is not suitable there are others I can try, only problem is that I think this reduces your bodies potasium so i need to increase and drink lots of fuit juice to replace this daily, i don't have a problem with that.

I have not investigated this Episodic Ataxia yet as it is very rare but runs sometimes in families, that is why I need to look into my fathers health and cousins from his side of the family, its to do with the genes and is a neurological disorder ,the nervous system is affected ,balance and co-ordination, and there are many different types of ataxia.

It is still possible that I don't have this but with the way the last few years have been I am grateful that the consultant is determined to try to help get me back to work as I'm only 36.

Best wishes

Tricia