meniere

Author Topic: 2 days to go!!!!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline kelly

• View Profile
2 days to go!!!!
« on: Aug 27 2011, 08:14 PM »
Only 2 days to go until i have grommit & injection done.Can't wait to get it done,but at the same time i am really frightened about having it done.
Not seen consultant since he said he would do the operation so if anyone can help i would be very grateful.
When it is done does it stop the attacks?
How long before i will be able to return to work after having it done?
And do you you still need to take stematil etc?

Offline Paula

• View Profile
Re: 2 days to go!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27 2011, 08:48 PM »
Hi Kelly

I have never had the procedure so i'm sorry I can't help but just wanted to wish you well and I hope things go well for you.

Paula xx

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28 2011, 12:06 AM »
Dear Kelly,

Sorry, but I've not had them either, but I wish you loads of luck.   If I were you - and I'm a devout coward - I'd tell them you're scared when you get there, and ask for extra gentleness.   

Best, Jeannette

Offline dizdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28 2011, 10:13 PM »
Kelly, don't worry- it's really nothing to be scared of,there will be a bit of burning pain when the local anaesthetic is popped into your ear but having the grommet put in and the injection is completely painless.
I think different consultants vary in how many injections they give initially, some just do one and leave it for a number of weeks before doing any more, mine did 3 spaced one week apart and it took until the third one before I started to notice something happening. Some people only need one, others need a number -that's the randomness of this condition -there's no one size fits all, it will be a see what works for you.
Now the bad bit, except if it happens it's actually the good bit because the gent is working - you should get pretty imbalanced, some eye bounce when you move , walking or travelling in a vehicle (oscillopsia) and probably difficulty turning your head from side to side because of dizziness. The important thing is to make yourself walk ( hang on to someone else and / or use a walking stick if you need to and make sure you're somewhere safe) because the more you do the quicker and better your brain will learn to compensate.
As for how long it will take you to return to work, that's another one that's down to the individual - just try and go with the flow and give your brain time to adjust.
Best wishes

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29 2011, 10:56 AM »
Hi Kelly ,
I was in a total panic about my first ones but it was a breeze - honestly .I wondered why I'd worried in the first place and I've had more since (they don't last forever LOL!) .
Stay calm and hope all goes smoothly for you too ,
Elaine xx

Offline kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01 2011, 06:49 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.Had it done on Tuesday and feeling a bit groggy at the moment,really worried at the moment in case i do something to dislodge it.Every little pain and i'm panicking.Now just waiting for the big spin!!!!

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12 2011, 12:40 PM »
Hey - how are you feeling now? Hope it was of help to you
Emma xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D