meniere

Author Topic: Anxiety based vertigo  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« on: May 01 2004, 02:16 PM »
Hello I'm new. Can anybody relate to what I experience?  My neurologist thinks I have BPPV.  I have had it since I woke up and fell to the floor in Moscow in August 2002. I take stematil for sickness.  I don't get sick every time I have an attack of vertigo.  Unsteady feeling is there all the time underlying because I'm anxious.  Sometimes my head feels it is going to explode, I also get tinnitus.  I get headaches with the vertigo sometimes.  If I have headaches I get dreadful nightmares and feel very dizzy in the morning.  If I am anxious then it's worse. I can't go to the dentist because I can't lie back far. I can't travel in the car unless I am the driver, and then only to the shops.  Walking varies from day to day, sometimes a mile to just a few yards.  I am on Amotriptyline at night to help me sleep. If I take a valium I feel better, no dizziness, but of course it is not long lasting and because it is addictive I can't take it all the time.
Would be grateful to hear from anyone with similar problems. Thanks. Angela [/quote
Hi there, I suffer with vertigo, but not all the time. Not diagnosed with MD.  I get tinnitus.  I can't walk far so drive.  Anxiety, big part of my illness! Would love to hear from other similar sufferers, Regards Angela.

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #1 on: May 01 2004, 04:14 PM »
Welcome Angela
You are having a very bad time . Other members will be more able to give advice on the BPPV,but I notice you are on Amotriptaline,my Dr put me on that 2 yrs ago but for various reasons I gave up after 1 month. he started me on it again in February and advised me to stay longer on it and now I find I am sleeping better.He prescribed it just for my Insomnia but I do wonder about taking Valium as well.
  Best wishes for a solution.

Fiona

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #2 on: May 01 2004, 07:56 PM »
Hi Angela

I think it's interesting you get headaches and vertigo which is similar to me.  I don't have any hearing loss either.  Two things really - if it's BPPV it may be helped by the Epley manoeuvre.  Your doctor may have done this already or if not it's worth pursuing it.  Basically it realigns debris that's floating in your inner ear to a place where it won't cause vertigo.  The other thing is that there is a well recognised condition called migraine associated vertigo that can cause all the symptoms you describe with or without headache.  There are articles on the internet about these conditions which are well worth reading.  Good luck.
Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #3 on: May 01 2004, 10:03 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks very much for your reply.  I will certainly look on the net again, I did download some information when I first thought I had BPPV but now I'm convinced there is something else wrong.  Have you any particular web addresses you could give me?  I think I saw a post message where there is a mention about 'Timothy Hain' to do with MAV do you know anything about that?
Look forward to your reply.
Regards,
Angela.
Hi there, I suffer with vertigo, but not all the time. Not diagnosed with MD.  I get tinnitus.  I can't walk far so drive.  Anxiety, big part of my illness! Would love to hear from other similar sufferers, Regards Angela.

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #4 on: May 02 2004, 09:28 AM »
He's a link to Timothy Hains site. In fact if you go to the links section (above) you may well find other info.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #5 on: May 02 2004, 01:12 PM »
Thanks Alec,
I found the site not long after writing the message!! Whatever I have got wrong with me is affecting my brain!!!
Regards,
Angela

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #6 on: May 02 2004, 01:31 PM »
Hi Fiona,
I take valium for anxiety.  I have a history with anxiety not helped by the death of both parents 18 months ago.  It calms me down when I can't cope with the dizziness in certain situations when I go out.  Without it I wouldn't bother to go out much at all though!  I have to be careful with it, it IS addictive forming. I don't take very many and my doctor who is very sympathetic is helping me to keep the intake down.  If you can manage without it then I advise you not to go down that road!!
My advise for what it is worth!
Regards and best wishes,
Angela.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #7 on: May 02 2004, 01:59 PM »
Hi Angela

The trouble with dizziness is that it can provoke anxiety/panic attacks, especially when you're out and there's a lot more information from the einvironment to take in.   Of course, it feeds on itself too - cos if you've had a bad turn outside, then the next time you go out you almost anticipate it happening again. It takes a while to build up confidence after a bad attack and speaking from experience, mine is quickly lost.
Chris

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #8 on: May 03 2004, 01:08 AM »
Hi Angela
I should have said "as well as taking Amotrip."Didn't mean I was considering trying it :roll:  :roll:
  You will notice I am online at 1am--not getting to sleep as I was out for lunch,talking for hours , I find it a strain as she has a very soft voice and does not like raising her delivery,Ithink she finds it strain also when I continually turn my aided ear to her and constantly ask her to repeat phrases---the woes of being very deaf :!:  :!:
Fiona
PS meant to say the Amo not working tonight.

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #9 on: May 03 2004, 01:02 PM »
Hi Fiona,
Funny you should say that! I too was up and on line here in the early hours last night.  The problem is at the moment I'm waking up so late because I can't get to sleep until so late. If I'm 'normal' then I don't have this problem but I've been going through a bad patch lately.  Somebody said something about wet weather affecting her, well it's been virtually non stop rain here for the last 2 or 3 days, pouring at the moment!!
I haven't had a valium for over a week now, the anxiety is less when I'm in the home though.  Do hope you managed some sleep last night.  How much Amotrip has the doc put you on?
Keep in touch,
Angela.

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #10 on: May 04 2004, 03:40 PM »
Hi Angela
Just the 1 10mg per day in the evening.Slept 2 hrs PM yesrerday to make up for the lack of it previous night . this always happens,and I slept well last night!!
Fiona

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #11 on: May 04 2004, 03:50 PM »
Hi Fiona,

I was given amitryptiline 10mg.The first time I took it I just wanted to sleep for england and had to drag my self out of bed at 10.30 the next day.I took one that night as well but couldn't sleep and stil felt groggy the next day so gave up.They did make me calmer though but made the dizzies worse.

Elaine xx

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #12 on: May 04 2004, 04:50 PM »
Hi Guys

I've just been prescribed pizotifen to see if it will alleviate the headaches I get.  It's a powerful antihistamine/serotonin antagonist so it makes me very drowsy.  Like you, Elaine, I feel calmer on it but I'm sure it's making my dizziness feel worse.  I've had two minor very dizzy spells today, where I've had to rest on the bed.  I am also slowed down and a bit slurry speechwise. I'm trying to persevere and not give up on them too soon, as it may be the side effects will improve with time.  However, I'm only taking the lowest possble dose 0.5mg.  The headaches are improved but not taken away totally.  I just think that all these drugs that sedate you may make the dizziness worse.
Chris

Anonymous

Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #13 on: May 04 2004, 04:56 PM »
Hi Christina,

I've been told to try atenolol for headaches which might be migraine(?).
Funny how our hubby's both like water based stressbusters -just what we hate ,eh lol??? :lol:
Why do all these pills make us feel worse???

Elaine xx

Offline Angela

• View Profile
Anxiety based vertigo
« Reply #14 on: May 04 2004, 05:02 PM »
Hi Elaine and Fiona,
I know what you both mean by Amotrip not working at certain times or not at all.  I too found that for the first 2 weeks it really wasn't doing anything very much.  My Neurologist told me that this would be the case and that I must persevere.  I'm on 30mg at the moment though and had to start at 10mg and build up. I did build up to 40mg to start with!! I have a friend who is on 50mg because she gets such bad migraines, she says she NEVER feels groggy!!  I find I'm groggy in the mornings but only for the first hour. Yes I expect these tablets contribute towards the dizziness but I would rather have that, than go without sleep (lesser of two evils!)  Without sleep I know I would be worse. I'm OK on the amotrip at the moment and I'm hoping to reduce it soon.  I feel with me it is a case of time to heal. Glad you slept well last night Fiona and thanks for your input Elaine.  It's really good to hear about other people's situations.
Best wishes to you both, Angela