Author Topic: Can MD be caused by.....  (Read 3840 times)

Offline lesley

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Can MD be caused by.....
« on: Nov 17 2011, 12:02 PM »
Someone told me that MD can be caused by the herpes virus. Unfortuatly since I was very young I have suffered from coldsores on my face. It's caused by stress and when I'm run down. I take medication for it which stops it from getting bad but I've had it since the age of 5.....can this be true??? Is this the reason why I have MD? Anyone else have these symptoms too?

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: Can MD be caused by.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17 2011, 12:31 PM »
I think I have heard that before although don't think there is any concrete reason as to the cause of MD and I have never suffered coldsores etc...whereas my sister has since we were tiny and her ears are fine :o

Emma xxx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17 2011, 01:21 PM »
I've heard this too and someone on the yahoo group took the medication for it for a while and it really helped her ,
Elaine xx

Offline Taximom5

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08 2011, 10:02 PM »
There are conflicting studies on whether or not herpes viruses are a causal factor in Meniere's symptoms, but it seems that there are more studies that support that theory than not.

These studies do not show a strong link:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,22570.0.html (part 1)

But these studies DO show a strong link:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,22571.0.html  (part 2)

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,22572.0.html  (part 3)

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,23217.0.html

Herpes viruses are not just the ones we hear about causing cold sores and genital lesions.  There are MANY different herpes viruses.  Chicken pox and shingles are both caused by the herpes zoster virus, for example.

One doesn't need any kind of breakout in order for a herpes virus to attack the middle ear, or the endolymphatic sac, or anywhere else that might affect hearing and the vestibular system.

So it seems that, for at least a sizable subset, viruses like herpes can be behind Meniere's symptoms, and antivirals can be very effective.

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09 2011, 01:18 PM »
Funny I was going to say I haven't had herpes but have MD , then reading the last post realised I have had chicken pox twice!, The first time as a kid and mild the second as an adult and it was really bad....

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06 2012, 04:08 PM »
Interestingly, I'm reading http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/menieres/men_eti.html and before I got what could be described as this "active phase" I had the mother of all migraines, kinda knocked me out of sync for around 5 days and since then, this has been active and seems far more frequent to get headaches / migraines which I never used to get.

Also, there have been a lot of studies done which relate Migraines to herpes, which has also been studied as a reason for, Meniere's. Curious to know how many of you guys have or remember having very bad headaches / migraines when Meniere's became "active"? Or if it's something that perhaps you have more than you'd had previously?

Going to continue reading... Also, is it just me or do ENT's in the UK seem to have great reluctancy in looking at Meniere's as viral related? I have an otolaryngologist in New York also as I used to live there, so I will contact him and get his thoughts. He is by far the best consultant I have dealt with. I'll post his comments as soon as I get them :)

Cheers  :D

Offline Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09 2012, 01:38 PM »
I had heard about the link between MD & Herpes virus before, also a link with autoimmune problems which is where I thought mine may have come form, since havning been diagnsed with atypical MD I have also had Iritis twice, first time I thought it was conjunctivitis and left it thinking it would clear up until I almost lost the sight in my eye, and I have also now got Hypothyroidism, both Iritis and Thyroid issues can be caused by an autoimmune problem.

I have had several blood tests but they cannot find any link....

Offline Taximom5

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09 2012, 02:24 PM »
I had heard about the link between MD & Herpes virus before, also a link with autoimmune problems which is where I thought mine may have come form, since havning been diagnsed with atypical MD I have also had Iritis twice, first time I thought it was conjunctivitis and left it thinking it would clear up until I almost lost the sight in my eye, and I have also now got Hypothyroidism, both Iritis and Thyroid issues can be caused by an autoimmune problem.

I have had several blood tests but they cannot find any link....

Both autoimmune hypothyroidism and Meniere's Disease have strong links with celiac disease.

Many patients are exhibiting symptoms of celiac disease, but testing negative on blood work.  Some are IgA deficient, some test low positive but their doctors don't realize this is a positive (kind of like being "a little bit pregnant," either you are or you aren't!), and some don't realize that they need to be eating a large amount of gluten for a couple of MONTHS before the blood work is done.

Some doctors believe that gluten intolerance (symptoms of celiac resolving on a gf diet, but not showing on celiac blood work) is simply early-stage celiac.  Others believe it to be a completely separate condition.

Either way, for these people, a gluten-free diet is like an almost magical fix--no surgery, no drugs, nothing to buy, and all the symptoms disappear forever.

The link between gluten and many autoimmune disorders appears to be intestinal malabsorption, which prevents the person from absorbing nutrients from food, and even from absorbing vitamin pills.  The resultant vitamin deficiencies can wreak all kinds of havoc with the immune system.

I'm not saying you should run out and buy every vitamin in sight.  If possible, ask your doctor for blood tests for celiac and vitamin deficiencies (especially B12 and D, as those are the ones most often associated with autoimmune disorders).

Oh, and vegans are at particular risk for B12 deficiency, unless they take B12 supplements, as B12 is primarily in red meat and eggs.  A vegan who turns out to have celiac disease is going to have a difficult time, as vegan diets tend to be wheat-based.

Offline Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25 2012, 10:05 AM »
Hi Taximom5, many thanks for the advice, I will certainly get my Dr to run some bloods for Celiacs and Vit deficiencies, it is certainly strange that all my problems seemed to manifest themselves around the same time.