meniere

Author Topic: "meniere's migraine"  (Read 1513 times)

Offline KittyH

• View Profile
"meniere's migraine"
« on: Nov 19 2011, 10:22 PM »
Anyone else?

Fed up.

things smell bad too??? WTF?

No more type. Pain.

NEWOSA65

Re: "meniere's migraine"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20 2011, 05:28 PM »
I seem to have migraines when the Menieres is at its worst and vice versa.  But there is a definite link between the two.  When the migraines kick in the usual meds for migraines do nothing to help unfortunately!  Hope you feel a  bit better today... tc, S

Offline KittyH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20 2011, 09:17 PM »
Hi, its finally over thank goodness! The past 2 weeks I have been getting a bad metalic taste in my mouth and a weird bad and unexplainable smell in my nose along with headaches that have been getting worse. They can not be releived by pain killers, not even MST. Only a cold icepack can help me. I have deducted that due to the feeling of pressure in my head it can only be migraine. I was on gabapentin for 6 months after a 4 month bout of crippling migraines and sciatica but then I switched to pregabalin which is supposed to be an better option. My sciatica is still under control and it helps with my other various fibro pains but I think its letting in my migraines again. Unless this is something else. Along with these headaches I am getting a burning sensation on the back of my neck and spreading down my right arm, also a burning tounge and what looks like a rash in the back of my throat but its not sore.

But this smell thing is the strangest thing of all. Could it be migraine aura? I am not having any visual symptoms. I used to hate the flashing lights but i think I would take them over the smell. I know its just in my head because no one else can smell it and it also seems to get stronger the more painful my head gets.

Sorry, rambling again!

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21 2011, 08:33 AM »
Hi

I dont want to be alarmist but think you should get this symptom checked out by your doctor. I worked for 3 years with epileptic patients and we would know when a grand mal fit was about to occur as they would invariably comment on there being a funny smell before it happened.It was a recognised symptom, a bit like visual auras for migraines and a useful warning .
Yours may well be something entierly different, especially as it seems to have been constant but better to check than worry I think.
Best wishes
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline KittyH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21 2011, 09:10 AM »
I know its not epilepsy, had lots of tests and the pregabalin is also an anticonvulsant so I don't think it can be that. I am on the highest dose because of nerve pain but I don't think its working as well for me as the gabapentin did.

I am going to use a nasal wash today in the hope that the horrible smell wont return. I can't even describe what it smells like, there is nothing to compare it to.

NEWOSA65

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21 2011, 12:22 PM »
Hi KittyH,

Maybe the metallic taste is unrelated to the migraines... i knew someone who had the same symptom as you describe and that was due to food being trapped at the back of the throat, unsure whether it was a blocked tonsil or something like that?  However, that was the cause of her problem and the doctor advised her to gargle strongly 4 times a day with a mouth wash to flush the blockage out.  In some cases it cannot be achieved this way but it worked for her... just thought i would mention that to you?

Good luck and hope you find an answer soon :-)

S

Offline KittyH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26 2011, 07:23 PM »
Ah ha! the mystery has been solved. I have had a SEVERE sinus infection, I went to the doctor a while ago because the back of my tounge was green and I kept smelling something nasty but she said it was a virus. The past few months my sense of taste has gotten worse and worse and my head has been on fire. I convinced myself it was just the god damed migraines as the bloody locum said there was nothing wrong and then this week I just got knocked for six by a severe bacterial infection.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANGRY. I have been to hell and back this week all because a stupid locum wont give me antibiotics. My daughter has neutropenia which means that bacterial infection can be fatal to her so I should not have to get into this state to get myself the right meds. I can get over these things but if she has caught it this could be another hospital admission to her.

But in another way I am so relieved that I wont have to keep smelling that disgusting smell forever now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!