Author Topic: Hearing Tests - how they are carried out?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Rose

• View Profile
Hearing Tests - how they are carried out?
« on: Dec 08 2011, 11:02 AM »
Hi,

I am asking about hearing tests and how they are carried out. Some of you know I complained at my last consult appt about the hearing test technican. Everytime he made a sound he glared at me waiting for me to press my button saying I had heard. It was very offputting and quite threatening. I had the last appt of the day and it was running over an hour late.

I wanted to ask all of you about your hearing tests,

did you face the person, sit facing away or what?

could you see the technicians movements?

I know the test came out wrong as it said I had normal hearing which I havent had for over 30 years!

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Hearing Tests - how they are carried out?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08 2011, 11:52 AM »
I am in a sound proof booth facing a blank wall and am not conscious of the operator.

I cannot think that any other set up would be right.

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08 2011, 12:32 PM »
I face the operator but they tend to be looking down - think they do this so you don't feel claustrophobic in a blank box as it were...but I tend to look at the floor anyway
Rose your experience sounds awful. Did you get anywhere with your complaint?
Em xxx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08 2011, 01:11 PM »
Sounds like your audiologist was desperate to get home if the day was running over by that much but still no excuse for glaring at you .The correct position should be facing away from the audiologist so that you have no idea when they are pressing the buttons and can't guess .
Elaine xx

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08 2011, 04:50 PM »
Thanks everyone, I was rather upset by the whole episode, it's not like me to complain, either.  it was pointless it was like he pressed the button then looked at me, absolutely pointless, usually I have been tested sitting facing away from the operator. The letter I got back said that " the Audiologist can watch the patient to identify clues as well as simple button press, this is stated in the British Society of Audiology recommended procedures."

But when I researched the procedures they said "The subjectís face shall be clearly visible to the tester. The subject shall not be
able to see or hear the tester adjust the audiometer controls"  so i think I just got a duff testing day?

Also the sounds were very short, perhaps 1 second not any longer, and I was surprised to read this in the guidelines too " The subjectís response to the test tone should clearly indicate when the test tone
is heard and when it is no longer heard. The response system should be
inaudible, with a response button connected to a signal light the preferred
method. The duration of the presented tone shall be varied between 1 and 3 seconds. The
interval between the tones shall be varied between 1 second and at least 3
seconds. The tester must ensure that the timing of each tone is not predictable;
random variations in durations are intended as a check against false positive
responses. It is important that the tester does not stop the signal as soon as the
subject responds, signals must be of the full duration and the subject must
respond throughout each one."

http://www.thebsa.org.uk/docs/Guidelines/BSA_RP_PTA_FINAL_24Sept11.pdf

I have got an appt now with the head consultant someone that I have apparently never seen before although I had assumed that he was the man I had previously seen. So maybe I will get a bit of a better experience.

I don't like complaining but I was so upset and didn't sleep well for about a week after worrying so I decided that I ahd to do something about it and wrote a letter.

Offline shell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11 2011, 08:45 AM »
Cant  understand why they test in soundproof room its when theres background noise i struggle to hear.
When they shut the door it made me feel really odd.
Only had 3 tests ,last one said improved, but the 3 people infront of me also improved so not convinced.
And yes i could see him moving the buttons and heard the button click, so although tried to to concentrate on the sound not him it was hard not to be influenced.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11 2011, 11:01 AM »
I agree with you about the soundproof booth .It's such a false situation .I can only hear about 30% of stuff in a noisy environment but my pure tone tests often come out better than that .I'm a musician so my perception of sound is more finely tuned than the average person .I can sense sound via vibration and how it makes my body feel even when I can't actually hear it with my ears but ask me to make sense of what someone has said and it's a totally different story  ::)
Elaine xx

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11 2011, 01:04 PM »
Do you not think that you are in a soundproof booth so that you can concentrate entirely on the test and not be distracted by background noise?

Shell if you can hear buttons click from within a purpose built soundproof room then I can only conclude that either

The room is not very well built.
Someone left the door open.
The buttons are extremely noisy.
Your hearing is so good that you should consider becoming a professional eavesdropper.  :)

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11 2011, 04:22 PM »
lol @ eavesdropper. I hadnt actually thought but my main hearing problem is in crowds or on the phone or in conversations in noisey areas, of course in a sound proof room my hearing comes out much better.

I also said I can't hear that noise but I can feel it but he didn't care and shrugged putting it down as heard.

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11 2011, 06:25 PM »
I donít think it matters what one has problems with.  I too struggle with crowd scenes, where crowd can mean as little as 4 people.

But surely the test just needs to be consistent.  That way you can say that there has been an improvement or deterioration in your hearing from test to test.

I canít think of a better way for it to be consistent than for it to be in a soundproof booth and without any external distractions (whether audible or visual).

In any case your hearing can fluctuate on any given day.  I think it is the trends that they are trying to establish.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11 2011, 06:31 PM »
Yes you do have a point about consistency of the test but hearing tones through headphones in a soundproof booth is a false situation .The speech in noise tests are a much better indication or even a pure speech discrimination test .I have to ask them to mask out my right ear when testing my left cos my left is so deaf now that to get me to hear in that ear means a sound so loud I can pick it up with my right ear  and that's not what the test is about LOL!  ::)
Elaine xx

Offline Diablo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12 2011, 11:23 PM »
I've had two audiology tests over the part month and I must say it was all handled very well. In the first test I was faced away from the audiologist. In the second one I delibrately closed my eyes, as there is no point in 'cheating' is there. The technicians were very friendy and helpful.

Both were done in a soundproof booth. This is done so that the tests are all done in equal circumstances. But for half of the tests the audiologist plays 'artificial' background noise in the form of a hiss and tells you to ignore this, just concentrate on the 'beeps'.

With the more quiet tones I found that I was more aware of it when it went off, rather than when it first came on. But I pressed the button okay.

The test is what it is - a very artificial way of comparing how your hearing has deteriorated over time. It does not really tell how clearly you hear in real situations. For instance, it does not indicate whether your hearing is 'masked' by tinnitus, and it does not monitor 'audio recruitment', where certain unwanted noises swamp out what you really want to hear. It does not test how much you hear in 'stereo' and use the direction of a sound to filter out what you are trying to listen to.

The test looks very technical and precise with the electronic gadgets, but it is very crude. It probably works best for people with just 'reduced hearing' rather than those with damage to the inner ear caused by meniere's disease.

Steve.

Offline Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14 2011, 01:15 PM »
Thanks Diablo, hope you aare doing well apart from the ha's.

I have never had a test with artificial background noise, I bet that would show a different picture as I find it hard to decifer speech or tv etc when in a crowded or busy or noisey environment.