meniere

Author Topic: First hearing aid. Disappointed.  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Diablo

• View Profile
First hearing aid. Disappointed.
« on: Dec 12 2011, 11:43 PM »
Hi everyone.
I guess there a lot of people here with MD who use hearing aids. What is your experience with them?

On Saturday I was fitted with my first NHS aid. According to the audiologist, the hearing in my good ear is just slightly reduced at the high end, but my bad ear is very much diminished.

I have one Danalogic digital 'behind the ear' aid. This has been tuned to suit my hearing.

Now I find that I have to turn up the volume very high to get any sort of loudness, to match my good ear. This means the tapping of the keyboard as I type this is very 'sharp' and loud. The aid is almost on the point of buzzing with feedback, so that if I put my hand anywhere near my ear I get a loud shriek.

Now when I listen through the hearing aid to speech on TV (blocking my good ear) what I hear is a sort of kkkk-kk-kkkk-kk in time with what is being said. It's virtually impossible to pick out what the actual words are. The higher tones seem to be very loud and there is a sort of high pitch ringing 'echo' that is almost painful.

The distortion is with my inner ear - I'm not blaming the aid for adding it. But do hearing aids just boost the sound level, or can they overcome the distortion as well?

Using a hearing aid like this (with one good ear) actually makes my hearing worse! I would probably be better off by using an ear plug in my bad ear. Unfortunately my good ear is going off a bit too so I must get over it.

Now the NHS hearing aid did not cost me anything. I could buy one, for 1,000+, but would this be any better? There must be a reason why they are so expensive, but is this reason one of purely making money or are they worth the cost? For the price of the top end ones, I would expect something approaching miraculous.

Steve.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Re: First hearing aid. Disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13 2011, 09:59 AM »
Hi ,
It sounds like you need a follow up appointment to fine tune the aid .Make sure you tell them which sounds are not loud enough and what happens when you turn the aid up .I've been wearing aids for 10 years now and some are better in sound quality than others so it may be a bit of this too(I've not had your aids so I can't comment on them - mine are oticon spirit 3 ).
My hearing is still good at low frequencies in my worst ear but I'm profoundly deaf at high ones in that ear and I sometimes get that tick tick noise you describe .I think it might be from feedback .How much you can understand in the affected ear depends on the distortion which you've spotted and also how good your speech discrimination is (this diminishes with MD) .Having said that the aid will help you to tell the direction of sounds much better than not having it in and will be helpful with background noise e.g. sensing oncoming trafiic etc .It's best to keep an open mind .The aids are not perfect and sometimes with MD the best is all that is possible but do give it a while and a good try out .if you need to go back a few times till they get the settings right so be it !
Hope this helps ,
Elaine xx

Offline sparkymarky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06 2012, 10:33 PM »
I have just received my hearing aid from NHS it is a danalogic and it is amazing, the technician took plenty of time setting up different programs on it and it works a treat, maybe it would be a good idea for you to go back and have it adjusted or tested, it might even be the ear mould not fitting correctly!!

Hope this helps and good luck

Sparky

Offline Diablo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06 2012, 11:15 PM »
Hi Sparky
I'm going to have to sort it, but can hear okay at the moment well enough, through my good ear. This good ear is starting to go a bit as well, and I just wanted to be ready for the evil day!

I've got an appointment on 29th with the ENT for the Meniere's side of things so I'll sort it then.

Steve.