meniere

Author Topic: Retracted tympanic membrane treatment ?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Moo80

• View Profile
Retracted tympanic membrane treatment ?
« on: Feb 07 2012, 08:12 AM »
Hi all, got recent ct results from GP yesterday and apparently have retraction of both TM. GP thinks This is causing all the pressure I'm feeling. Does anyone else have this and if so how was it treated ? I thought ent would put gromits in but my consultant said TM is too thick so he wouldn't want to.... X

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
Re: Retracted tympanic membrane treatment ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07 2012, 09:15 AM »
Hey there :)

Retraction is caused by negative pressure, which is usually caused by ear infections, glue ear etc... Are you going to get an MRI done also? My ear drums were retracted when I had c-toma's, various infections... Your CT would show a c-toma if you had one, so don't worry about that. Chances are you simply have an infection in there which can probably be knocked out fairly easily. Have you always had problems with your ears?

Benny :)

Offline Moo80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07 2012, 02:44 PM »
Hi Benny, I’ve had problems with my ears for the last 6-7 years. I’ve had MRI done which was all clear  :) ENT consultant also said I have myringitis and a thick T M and the retraction…got another appointment on the 15th March to hopefully get some answers about treatment… I’ve been treated for ear infections for over 6 years on and off, do you think grommets would help ? my consultant does not want to do it himself due to the thickened T M but thinks that other consultant would consider it.

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07 2012, 03:59 PM »
Hey :)

Only speaking from personal experience, I had grommets inserted 3 times and they didn't help me at all, but they do help pressure problems for people, which is what they're designed to do, they're simply for ventilation. They have to make a small opening in your eardrum to attach them, which is also what eventually pushes them out, eardrum heals over and the grommet falls out. There are also long term grommets, but I have no personal experience of them.

Did they suggest the grommets to try to address the pressure problems? Grommets could well stabilise the negative pressure. What have they tried previously to address these problems you have?

Offline Moo80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07 2012, 04:33 PM »
Hiya benny, It was GP who suggested it. I've been taking antibiotics for ages and the drops on and off for years, but nothing's worked so far, do you know of other treatments ?. It's the stammer that I've developed, pressure and balance that's the main problem, I'm thinking, maybe wishful, that if I have the grommets then maybe  the consultant was wrong in his original diagnosis and I don't have menieres. I'm still taking the serc and stemital but was hoping that the symptoms are caused by this retraction and not menieres.  I need to get better and get back to Uni, I've had to take a year out ATM and I've got to confirm my return in may....

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07 2012, 05:08 PM »
Hey again :)

I think to have a myringotomy and a grommet placed isn't going to hurt and may well relieve the pressure issues as well as clearing out any build up which you may also have. This is a small surgery, pretty much in and out for it... The retraction itself won't actually be the cause of the problem, whatever is causing the negative pressure will be causing that.

I would discuss it with your consultant again and see what he would suggest as other options to address the problems that you have.

Don't know why, but suddenly I fell like  :dance: ... A bad idea indeed   :o

Offline Moo80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:38 AM »
Think you're right benny, I'm planning on asking consultant about myringotomy and grommets and if he says no I've already got GP to do another referral letter to one of his old pals that is an ent consultant at different hospital lol. I'm determined to get back to uni in sept  :)
Thanks for your advice it's muchly appreciated  ;D

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:46 AM »
No problem at all :) Only suggesting what I'd want in the same position...

Let us know what happens please and determination is good :D

Offline Moo80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08 2012, 11:05 AM »
It's dizzy and somewhat unbalanced determination, but determination still  :dance:
Hope you're well

Marie

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08 2012, 11:06 AM »
Unbalanced is more fun though... Imagine everything being normal?!?! How boring!! :)

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04 2012, 11:02 AM »
Hi ,
The retraction may be caused by an infection .I'm with the others on this one and you need a full ENT assessment of this .
Elaine xx