Author Topic: No vertigo  (Read 3444 times)

Offline benchyuk

• Visitor
    • View Profile
No vertigo
« on: Feb 07 2012, 08:43 PM »
hi i was diagnosed with MD about 6 months ago but had been having symptoms 12 months previous. My symptoms are at present, mild pressure that seems to swap between ears throughout the day but not as full as they used to feel a few months back. I have constant low humming tinnitus in my left ear (MD one) and since they did the test in both ears where they numb it and put the electrode down ive had a constant high pitched hiss in my good ear. I also have the low level hearing loss in my left ear. The tinitus volume seems to vary from day to day sometimes pretty loud other days much less but not loud enough as to keep me awake at night.

As of yet luckily i have had no vertigo. Whenever i ask my audioloist as to wether i will get the vertigo he keeps saying it's a matter of when I get it not if I get it which has obviously worried me greatly.

I guess my question is, is it possible to have MD without the vertigo attacks as in A-Typical or will it always progress on to full menieres with vertigo as im very worried about getting my first attack.
Thankyou for your time
Ben

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: No vertigo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07 2012, 11:49 PM »
Dear Ben,
With a bit of luck, maybe you won't.  I thought they don't usually diagnose MD without at least one vertigo attack, but I may be wrong.  There are lots of us with atypical MD, and my ENT said that not everyone has to progress through all the dreadful stages.   So try and be positive and just be glad not to have it.   And if ever it does come, remember that it will pass.
Continuing good luck.
Jeannette

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08 2012, 09:36 AM »
I thought one of the firm symptoms for diagnosis of MD was to experience 2 or more attacks lasting more than 20 minutes  combined with possibly fluctuating tinnitus,fluctuating hearing loss and aural fullness- otherwise it could be labrynthitis ,vestibular neuronitis or other things.
Chrissieg

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:07 AM »
Hey Ben,

As both, Jeanette and Chrissie said, it does seem somewhat unusual for you to have been diagnosed with MD without having some very specific symptoms. It also seems quite irresponsible at this point for them to say "not if, but when"... That's just my opinion.

Out of interest, how did they reach this diagnosis? What tests, scans etc have you had done?

Ben  :)

Offline benchyuk

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08 2012, 02:47 PM »
hi thanks for the comments, it all started 18 months ago with what i can only describe as as if my ear drum was vibrating intermittently which went on for months and was very ittitating. Doctors kept prescribing me drops after drops but nothing worked so was reffered to ent.
Soon after i woke up one morning with low level hearing loss in the ear and pressure. Over time the pressure got quite bad and randomly swapped between my bad ear and good one which i also noticed that my nose would have a blocked feeling on the same side as the pressure was in my ear. I mentioned this to the ent doc who dismissed it as coincidence and wouldnt be an effect of the meniers. I was sent for a mri scan which came up fine. Some months later i went for for the ecog i think they call it where they put gel in my ears to numb them then put an electrode thing in and did the tests. He caled me back in after 15 mins to say that i had menieres and when i get sick to call them so they can prescribe the drugs and that was it.
Last monday i went back for a followup progress audiology appointment and that showed my menieres ear had improved to -45db low frequency (was -60b previous to mt ecog) he said that was obviously a good sign but it does tend to fluctuate and he said we will see you again in a years time.
I asked a few questions like i said above as i had read that meniers without dizzyness is called A-typical menieres and he said yes that is what you have and when i said will it lead on to full dizzyness/vertigo etc he said its a case of when it happens not if it happens. I also enquired about hearing loss and he just said that some peoples hearing declines very quickly while others slowly with  each attack but if im not having these attacks will my hearing keep dropping?.
Some people say that they know when they will have an attack as they will get pressure in the ear and tinnitus but i have tinnitus all the time and slight pressure all the time, do they meen it intensifies before an attack?. I'm just really scared of getting my first attack and also scared of the fact i prob lose my hearing any advice would be great and i hope you are all feeling well today :)
Thanks again
Ben

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08 2012, 05:03 PM »
Hey again, Ben :)

I would suggest reading this... http://www.entcenter.net/id284.htm

Has some details regarding a-typical Meniere's.

Ben :)

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08 2012, 07:32 PM »
Just to add ,I agree with Chrissie the vertigo is part of the main symptoms that leads to the diagnosis .It seems odd to say you've got MD but you have everything bar this .I've had the ECoG test and the graph it produces is quite clear for MD .Hearing can fluctuate -when my right ear is grumbling I can lose the low frequencies totally but my left one has ok low frequencies but not a lot at the high ones  ::)
Elaine xx

Offline benchyuk

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:31 PM »
hi thanks for the kind replies and the info. So from reading through that it seems i do have atypical meniers as no vertigo. The ent guy said he thought it was menieres because of the symptoms (low hearing loss.tinnitus,pressure) but had to do ecog to confirm. He did the ecog and straight away said yes you have menieres and when i tried to explain that i had no vertigo and surely it was more atypical or cochlear hydrops he kept dismissing me saying it's all the same it's menieres disease and to expect the vertigo. I guess he is from the cochlear hydrops always progresses onto vertigo meniers camp :/
As i say i'm scared if it does progress to vertigo as ive read so many stories on the net which i know you shouldn't, but to everyone that does have the vertigo my heart goes out to you it must be a very hard thing to deal with and wish everyone all the best
P.S Im in Devon so if anyones ever over this way look me up for a chat :)
Thanks again
Ben

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:46 PM »
Hey Ben,

Just have to add, I don't personally think you should expect to have vertigo attacks, still quite surprised that this guy said "when, not if" :o. IF they ever happen, there are plenty of people here who will understand and help you with advice IF that ever happens, which I hope for you that it doesn't.

All the best..

Ben :)

Offline benchyuk

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:50 PM »
Thanks man glad i found this place as most people i speak to have never heard of MD and don't understand it because you look fine on the outside

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08 2012, 10:56 PM »
No problem mate :) And yes, that's very, very true... Unless you're like I am currently where walking in a straight line for anymore than about 10 metres is virtually impossible! :D One of the guys at work came up to me today and said he saw me walking along and kept thinking I was going to fall over! Woot! Appear drunk with no alcohol... :)

Ben