Author Topic: Developing robotic/metallic voice distortions - any one else had this?  (Read 17051 times)

Offline Trurzy

• View Profile
I'm used to the rushing noise, and the whirring noise, and I'm even used to the occasional kettle whistling in my ear for 48 hours.

But over the last couple of weeks, I started to get really irritated by some music on the radio, and kept trying to retune it (even though it's digital) and then noticed I was getting annoyed by some voices on the TV. Then last week I realised that one of my colleagues voices was doing the same thing, so clearly it's my ear not anything electronic.

Basically the voices sound like someone is using a voice distorter - they sound like a robotic/metallic/tinny noise. I am getting really frustrated by it as it is so intermittent that it feels like it's only a certain frequencies. Problem is that it's meaning I can't watch TV, talk on the phone, listen to the radio, or talk to people with high voices. Worst thing is that is that as of today, even my own voice is distorted.

Is this normal? Is it just a phase? My tinnitus and deafness is a lot worse at the moment too - thinking that perhaps I have a cold as it seems to affect both ears.  I really hope this is not the start of things to come. Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
I haven't had that, thankfully, but I'm sure by tomorrow, there'll be someone on the forum who has.
I do hope it passes quickly.
Best, Jeannette

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Hi

I have experienced this but thankfully it has only been very short lived and like that for a moment so I put it down to a twist with the tinnitus. As it was so short lived I didn't need to do anything any further.

As you know tinnitus can be heard in lots of ways and effects everyone differently. I hope for you that your cold is making your tinnitus change and that once it has cleared the tinnitus will revert back to what you are used to. However if it does not then maybe you could get an appointment with your audiologist/ent to discuss dealing with/managing it.

Take care  :)
SJx

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
I always have this effect for some hours before an attack- I usually describe it as a Dalek type distortion of voices/TV etc

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Irritated by some music on the radio – yes.

Annoyed by some voices on the TV – yes.

Difficulty talking to a work colleague and people with high voices – yes.

I had put it down to old age myself, but now that you mention it I suppose it could be MD related...  :)

Offline Trurzy

• View Profile
Thanks for all the comments. It's nice to know it's not just me, and I had a chuckle at The Wobbler's comment too. It's lovely to think of the funny side when you're feeling so wretched.

It's still there and getting worse, and as the cold seems to be gone, I have been referred by my GP to ENT - but will have to wait some time for an appointment. Have realised that blocking my bad ear actually makes it better (although removes any remnant of hearing) so am trying that when I'm around people and using subtitles on the TV. Thankfully it doesn't happen much when men are talking, so luckily I can still communicate with my husband!

Thanks for the support and I will let you know what happens.

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
Sometimes it's a blessing though...

Annoying person: blah blah blah
You: Sorry? What was that?
Annoying person: blah bl...
You: Sorry, can't hear you properly... (walks away)

Works a charm, every time :D

Benny :)

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Sometimes it's a blessing though...

Annoying person: blah blah blah
You: Sorry? What was that?
Annoying person: blah bl...
You: Sorry, can't hear you properly... (walks away)

Works a charm, every time :D

Benny :)

;D

Yes the expression 'he cocked a deaf’un' has had new meaning for me since MD weadled it’s way into my life.  Eh, what, pardon...

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
lol :D

I figure we have to deal with the negatives from this nastiness, so guess we should get the bonuses too eh? ;) hehe

Benny :D