Author Topic: To run or not to run?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline jestubbs

• Visitor
    • View Profile
To run or not to run?
« on: May 15 2012, 01:32 PM »
I'm in the midst of an episode with particularly bad vertigo but have read that excercise can help control this condition. Would taking up running now help or only aggravate my symptoms? If any one has any advice on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: To run or not to run?
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2012, 02:28 PM »
I think it would be better to wait until you feel brighter and more stable. There are a lot of people on here who run but I think they tend to rest during acute periods and maybe starting for the 1st time now would be a bit ambitious. Do you use Wiifit, there is research proving its effectivenss for MD sufferers and I have found the regime helpful every day.
Chrissieg

Offline jestubbs

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2012, 03:10 PM »
Hi, thanks for the advice, I was wondering whether it might just tip me over the edge. Could've ended with a very messy heap on the side of the road!!  :D
Do you know of any more gentle excercise that could help to ease the vertigo from this acute state?

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2012, 03:35 PM »
You could join the MDUK cycling club.

It is free to join and has three members at the moment.

A far more civilised way to get exercise, whilst less jarring on the joints, it is steadier on the head movements.

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21 2012, 06:50 AM »
1358 with no races.  It seems you have the upper hand on the MDUK challenge trophy, and by some distance.  :(

And yet it is the taking part that counts.  As you know the club exists to promote cycling for MD ers.  It always strikes me as a paradox that an activity involving balance should be beneficial, and yet like you, I have no MD symptoms to report during my time in the saddle.  Off the bike this year has been a different story with the beast carrying on its disruptive path.

MD is full of enigmas and paradoxes isnít it?  I think that is why I enjoy having it so much!....?  :-\

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21 2012, 10:24 AM »
Wow.  (Too much in awe to type more...)  Jeannette

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22 2012, 06:56 PM »
Agree with most of your post Paull.

Particularly the endorphins, and mind off MD aspects.  Trouble with this syndrome is that you can spend a lot of time dwelling on it and analysing it.  Donít get me wrong my search for cause and effect will continue, but it is nice to disengage from the beast for a short while.

I missed 27 miles on my old (1993 vintage) mountain bike and coupled with a lovely blast through the Hampshire lanes last night my total has now risen to 1,424.

What does Ďnhs drug free apart from PPIísí mean?  Are you on Betahistine or not?  I take 3 x 16mg.

The areas I am not so convinced by are the blood flow thing and the salt shedding.  Not sure that the link is that direct myself, but with MD it is a case of whatever works for you isnít it?

There is a definite link with DIY and MD.  No need for double blind clinical studies there!  ;)

Like you having MD has made me eat more healthily and do more exercise.  I have lost 3 stone.  Canít be all bad...?