Author Topic: Diphenidol  (Read 1986 times)

Offline packbuck

• View Profile
Diphenidol
« on: Jun 25 2012, 11:37 PM »
I'm new to the board, but not Meniere's. 

I'm 42 and have had the disease for several years now. 

I've had the shunt surgery.
I've have the balance nerve removed out of my left ear (MD ear).

I've tried three different medicines for vertigo (only one worked).  I don't take medicine for vertigo anymore--since my nerve surgery, but I still get a hell of a lot a pain and pressure in my ear during barometric pressure changes or stressful situations.

The wonder drug is Diphenidol (used to be called Vontrol in the 70's and 80's).  Back then, it was approved by the Federal Drug Administration in the USA.  Now it's still made under the name Diphenidol.  It takes about 4-5 days to get into your body's system, but when it does--you'll feel as close to "normal" as you'll ever feel again.

You won't feel like you're always on "the verge" of an attack.  I swear by the drug.  My MD got so bad that the nerve was drowning in all the fluid my ear was creating that the shunt didn't work and we had to do surgery.

Every time I lied down past 45 degrees vertigo set in.  I couldn't sleep.  I finally said, "I can't live like this anymore."

Good luck to everyone out there.

If you can get your Dr. to write a prescription--you'll be so glad you did.

Ear pain/pressure (meperidine HCL (demerol) 100mg).  The pharmacy only makes 50mg and that's all you really need.  Take it in combination with Promethazine.

Good luck everyone.

By the way, my Dr. who prescribes me my medicine is in his 70's.  He's helped 1,000's of patients.  These younger doctors don't know about these medicines. ;)
Your life is a vapor that appeareth for only a moment of time and then vanisheth away (St. Paul).

NEWOSA65

Re: Diphenidol
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25 2012, 11:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting post. I have never heard of this drug but it does sound very good!  I will check this medication out, thanks for mentioning it.  You mean you had a VNS surgery?  Are you unilateral?  Best wishes, Simon :)

Offline packbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26 2012, 06:42 PM »
I'm from the US, but don't lose hope.  In other countries Vontrol (Diphenidol hydrochloride) Might be known as : Ansmin , Avomol , Celmidol , Cephadol , Cerrosa , Maniol , Nometic , Satanolon , Verterge , Vontrol.
Your life is a vapor that appeareth for only a moment of time and then vanisheth away (St. Paul).

Offline packbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27 2012, 12:41 AM »
Yes---Vestibular Nerve Section Surgery.

I have uni-lateral (only 1 ear).  Thank goodness.

Packbuck