meniere

Author Topic: MD or not MD? If only the professionals could stick to a story.  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Villordsutch

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Hello to you all.

I'd like to take you through my story (I will try to keep it short) to see if at the end you could possibly shed any light on my situation.

Over Christmas 2010 I suffered my first attack.  I woke up and fell to a heap on the floor without warning, the room was spinning.  My wife phone my GP who told her to phone for an ambulance.  I lay in hospital have bloods done etc for about 8 hrs when a Dr. informed me he is unsure what is wrong, probably a virus.  He gave me two perscriptions one for nausea pills and one for co-codamol  (which my wife had to pay for) and sent me home spinning and violently vomiting.  I lay in bed until after the New Year, my wife worked wonders making sure the children had a good christmas and I was fed and watered as I was sleeping virtually all the time.

Nothing more happened until the 4th May this year.  There was no warning, nothing.  I got up as normal, fed the children, helped get them dressed for school and said I was going for my shower.  I stood in the bath and collapsed in a heap.  The room was spinning violently around and I started to vomit.  I could lift my head properly due to spinning and for nearly 4 hrs straight I was sick eventually bringing up blood.

My wife called the GP and one came out.  He perscribed anti-nausa pills and told my wife he thinks it is Menieres.  Neither of us had ever heard about it.  For 10 days I was bed ridden as standing up brought on dizzyness and headaches.

We I went to my own GP and explained what happened he too said Menieres and gave me Serc-16 and a handout asking me to go through it to see if I recognise all the symptoms.  It was a full house for me.

He told me to go away for a week then come back with any thoughts.  When I returned the Dr was a locum and a new locum was there.  All be it she was rather rude she too erred on Menieres and told me to continue on the Serc and she will refer me to the ENT at my local hospital.

This came through at it was a month or so away.  As I was off work I went back to the GP to see if they could help.  He picked up on something I didn't notice, but I did feel.  He could see that due to this I was becoming depressed 

Offline Villordsutch

• Visitor
    • View Profile
and took the appropriate steps.  Asking me to return in two days.  He too thought it was MD but he wanted me to complete some forms.

Two weeks back I could feel the dizzy spells increasing but thought nothing of it and went to bed. I awoke with the room spinning and and all mighty headache.

My wife gave me some tablets and put me to bed.  When I woke up it was early evening and I was being taken into an Ambulance.

I got to hospital and the pain was so great in my head they had to administer morphine.  I had both a CT scan and an MRI scan.  The MRI came back with High signal activity.  Both consultants said this is possibly related to MD that have caused a migrane.  I do not suffer with migranes normally.  They discharge me after 3 days with numerous tablets and referred me to Neurology.

Coming home the first night my tinnitus was at its worst ever.  It sounded like our kettle whistling in the middle of my head.  I seem to be constantly suffering with head aches and dizzy moments.

Through all of these months my tinnitus has appeared greatly and I can no longer process more than one conversation.  If more than one person is speaking or if the tv, tumble dryer, music is on I cannot understand the speaker.  It is very upsetting and frustrating.  My wife goes with me to appointments also as I am getting more confused.  Walking tires me out (I used to cycle 8 miles daily) and if I go in a car as a passenger I am exhausted and have a headache at the end of the journey.

Offline Villordsutch

• Visitor
    • View Profile
My ENT appointment finally arrived and I left there upset and jaded.  After everything that has happened with all my symptoms and ill effects I spent 20 minutes with this man, who dropped my head to see if I went dizzy.  I did and felt sick, had me march around the room with my eyes closed (which thankfully due to the nurse I didn't do for long).  He the turned to me and said it's not MD as if it was when I lay down on my attacks I be dizzy for days and it wouldn't stop when I lay down.  I was dizzy when the occurred (lay down) but he seemed to want it to be 24/7 for the rest of the time.

Yet even after this he is referring me on for further tests at a different hospital.

Everyone along the path has said it is MD yet this one angry fellow has snubbed it to what I feel is based on his incorrect information.

My apologies for this long post but as you can read it's not been a fun few months.

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Hi and welcome,
sounds like you have had a bit of an ordeal over the last few months :(
My best advice would be if you are not happy with your consultant find another quickly - I had 5 years of going back and forth the consultants who didn't really get it and only recently have found one that is brilliant and think he could help me a lot.
If the tinnitus is severe a hearing aid may well help, it really does help me personally and others have said the same too.

I hope that helps a little
Emma xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Lambo

• View Profile
Wow, you seem to have had the consultant from hell there, I was under one of the Consultants colleagues for almost 3 years who first diagnosed me with atypical MD after several balance tests and treated me with betahistine then after 3 years told me that it was not atypical MD and he was unsure what it was.

I wrote a strong letter to the main ENT consultant stating that i was not happy with the treatment that I had received and felt like they had completely misdiagnosed my issue for the past 3 years, I got an emergency appointment with the main consultant who then told me that I had MD and that his colleague was incorrect.

maybe you should write to the main consult at the hospital and demand a second opinion, as they say those who shout loudest in the NHS get better service  >:(