meniere

Author Topic: Wii Consule?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
Wii Consule?
« on: Jun 26 2012, 05:49 PM »
Hi, I have been reading that a Wii Consule maybe of some help. Has anyone got one and does it actually help? What games are the best for balance? etc....

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: Wii Consule?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26 2012, 06:47 PM »
Hello, Elaine on here uses hers Wii I am sure for the balance things - not sure if Wii Fit might be one of the better games initially along with the Wii Fit board. I have read good things about them for balance retraining and its a fun way to do it :)
Emma xxx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline packbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26 2012, 06:51 PM »
I haven't heard about that, but after playing my Playstation 3 for a couple of hours the pressure in my head sure builds and quite often I pay for it with a migraine coming on.

Hell, we all have to live a little bit---don't we?

I've had to learn how to walk again twice now post-menerie's surgeries.  Once for the shunt surgery.  I was in the hospital for 11 days on that one.  I couldn't keep the room from moving for 3 days or the darkness from moving when I closed my eyes.

The other time was when I had the balance nerve removed from my inner ear and my other ear had to take over balance for my body.  Your Physical Therapist will give you exercises, but the best thing is going back to things YOU LIKE TO DO.  I started playing basketball.  Man, did I look like a fool at first, but talk about hand-eye coordination.  I stumbled around and couldn't make much, but an occasional shot close to the basket.  I practiced my PT exercises on the lines on the concrete on the court and then would go back to shooting baskets.  My recovery sped up once I decided to get out and play basketball.  It didn't take long before I could do much more in daily life.  

I had to definitely build up endurance.  I got TIRED FAST!  Recovery is a @%$% at first.

Good luck
Your life is a vapor that appeareth for only a moment of time and then vanisheth away (St. Paul).

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26 2012, 07:46 PM »
Hi,
I use the wii fit plus .There are exercises for all types of fitness as well as balance so you can make up a full programme .It's really helped me ,not just for my balance but also to regain some muscle strength in my legs which I'd lost because of a knee problem.
Elaine x

Offline Penny1871

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26 2012, 08:56 PM »
Thought I would post a link to a video on how Wii Fit Games are being used by patients with balance disorders at the Audiology department of the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading.

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/press/trust_videos/wii_fit_games.aspx

I haven't tried using the Wii Fit yet but am tempted given the success patients seem to have with it.

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04 2012, 05:56 PM »
Hello, Thank you for your replies and links. We bought a Wii in the end. It is so 8) It is much better than I thought. I used to have an X-Box but, every time I used it, it made me feel bad so it had to go. The Wii is much better for me. The balance games are fun x.

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04 2012, 06:08 PM »
I haven't heard about that, but after playing my Playstation 3 for a couple of hours the pressure in my head sure builds and quite often I pay for it with a migraine coming on.

Hell, we all have to live a little bit---don't we?

I've had to learn how to walk again twice now post-menerie's surgeries.  Once for the shunt surgery.  I was in the hospital for 11 days on that one.  I couldn't keep the room from moving for 3 days or the darkness from moving when I closed my eyes.

The other time was when I had the balance nerve removed from my inner ear and my other ear had to take over balance for my body.  Your Physical Therapist will give you exercises, but the best thing is going back to things YOU LIKE TO DO.  I started playing basketball.  Man, did I look like a fool at first, but talk about hand-eye coordination.  I stumbled around and couldn't make much, but an occasional shot close to the basket.  I practiced my PT exercises on the lines on the concrete on the court and then would go back to shooting baskets.  My recovery sped up once I decided to get out and play basketball.  It didn't take long before I could do much more in daily life.  

I had to definitely build up endurance.  I got TIRED FAST!  Recovery is a @%$% at first.

Good luck

Hello, you have done really well. Well done :) I don't blame you playing on your Playstation 3 if you like to use it. I'm still "trying" to carry on as normal but, it is difficult - as when I walk I look drunk! :D

Offline MariaLee

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10 2013, 10:25 PM »
I've found that yoga helps.  The balance poses were incredibly difficult to begin with but it gets easier and after doing a 30min session I feel far better for the entire day.  I use online classes or DVDs rather than going to a class.
Maria the Kiwi