Author Topic: Lesions on the brain  (Read 3481 times)

Offline MissDissy

• View Profile
Lesions on the brain
« on: Aug 20 2012, 10:34 PM »
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone had suffered similar results from MRI as I have. Having  been diagnosed with MD recently from balance and audio assessment. I had follow up MRI to eliminate other things. Unfortunately the scan has shown up a lesion on the brain which at the moment all I know is " most likely a cyst. I have so far only seen my GP who seems to think this is an incidental finding, not related to my symptoms!!. The ear scan showed no damage and as the symptoms of a cyst are almost identical to MD, I cannot see why they are dismissing the cyst being the culprit. I am back to the ENT doc on Thurs and my letter said " to be on the safe side" another type of scan needed to be done. I am out of my mind with worry and wondered if anyone else had, had a similar thing happen.

Thanks for listening lol

Sandra

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
Re: Lesions on the brain
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21 2012, 12:35 AM »
Hey Sandra,

Afraid not, but Thursday only a few days away I guess so hopefully they can tell you clearly why the 2 things are not related. Wish there was something I could say to put your mind at rest, but not had the results you did and I had the brain scans when they suspected that I may have had a stroke, MD and migraines can be a nasty combo.

Please do reply with what they say on, Thursday and wishing the best for you :)

Oh, also... Apologies for having been no help whatsoever  ???

Benny :) xoxo

Offline MissDissy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21 2012, 02:46 PM »
Thanks Benny, will keep in touch, although at the moment keeping sane is my main priority lol   :D

Offline Benny01

• Trusted member
  • It's all music to my ears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21 2012, 03:08 PM »
Sanity is greatly overrated, I lost mine a few years back... I thought I'd left it behind my settee, but when I went to find it, it had truly disappeared and I've been fine since... Well, that's what the voices tell me anyway :D

Benny :)

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21 2012, 03:33 PM »
You must be grateful that you had the MRI and they were able to identify the problem sooner rather than later.  No point worrying – it doesn’t do any good.  Sounds trite and is easier said than done I know.  However it is true.  Good luck on Thursday.

At least you have got all of your marbles Benny,... apart from the ones that you lost behind the sofa.

The idea of sanity and MD in the same sentence is an oxymoron and is surely insane?

Na-Nu Na-Nu  ;)

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21 2012, 03:47 PM »
Marbles?   I remember them - vaguely...

Sandra, of course you're very nervous about this.   If you're up to it, try and keep as completely occupied as possible until Thursday.   Anything and everything that takes your mind off it.   It probably is just a cyst and very minor.   Keep us posted.

Jeannette x

Offline liannet

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22 2012, 05:18 PM »
Hi Sandra, I have been having balance and dizzy problems over 4years now. Over a year ago I saw an ENT consultant who sent me for an MRI on my brain. MY hearing came back okay but he found lesions on the left side and in the middle of the brain. I was told this could be due to Migranes, epilepsy,tias etc. I was next sent to a neurologist who sent me for another MRI scan on my full spine and spinal fluid taken from the bottom of my spine to see if I had MS. Luckily all tests came back normal.
The neurologist tried to get rid of me but as I had enough of all the dizzys for over 3 years I wouldn't move out of his room until I said "There must be something else I can do". I was then given a tertiary referral( a referral by consultant to another consultant) to see a consultant at The National Hosptal for Neurology and Neuro-otology.Since then I have not looked back, after an hour of balance,hearing tests etc I had a discussion with the consultant and given diagnosis and ideas towards helping with treatment. I can ring inbetween my follow up appointment ifI am worried.  I was first diagnosed with Peripheral Vestibular vertigo and vestibular migrane. I have recently been told at my latest follow up appointment that I have MD. The only problem I live in Yorkshire and the hospital is in London,so by the time I arrive my travel sickness is really bad.
Even though I am struggling with my daily symptoms, sensitive to light and noises it has  been great to find this website and fb so I no longer feel alone. Hope you get on okay at your next appointment.

Offline MissDissy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22 2012, 05:48 PM »
Hi Liannet, you don't know how relieved I am to hear of someone else who has lesions and is not half dead! It is my fault for continuously reading horror stories, normally written by Americans lol. No offence intended to any Americans on line. It just seems that the British don't seem to post. My GP has described it as both a lesion and a cyst, I guess I will find out a little more tomorrow, although this is still with ENT. I attend Guy's for which, I hope turns out to be lucky, as I am told has a great Nuro unit. Guy 's is my local hospital really. Are your lesions ,cysts or have they not specified. All the posts I seem to read do indeed tell a similar story in that the cysts are not causing the symptoms. I don't know if you have read my previous  posts but I have had similar symptoms, spinning,vomiting and just basically not in control of any of my senses until the attract has passed, which is normally several hours. I am going to be strong tomorrow although I know without a doubt I am going to burst into tears as soon as that door opens lol. I will keep in touch and hope I have a success story to tell like yours.

Take care

Sandra

Offline MissDissy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24 2012, 08:11 AM »
Hi all, just a quick update on lesion. It has a name, but to be honest I was in such a state I didn't catch it properly but it is something like, arathki pouch cyst. It is quite near the pituitary gland  I believe. Doc said it has probably been there since birth and is causing absolutely no harm, so when he said that they would do another sort of scan, I obviously queried why? He didn't seem to have an answer for that one! I have however come away mildly saner and also at some stage I am going to be put on a brain re training programme to hopefully help with the spins and dizziness.

Will keep you all posted,

Thanks
Sandra