Author Topic: Was doc today  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Stu63

• View Profile
Was doc today
« on: Sep 07 2012, 07:40 PM »
For a VERY scary bout of dizziness yesterday...well been suffering dizziness/vrtigo/anxiety for the last 18 years mainly without pills ect....but yesterday scared me big time, so was lucky that i got to see the doc earlier.

I told her what happened and what I was experiencing in my ears, especially the right.....she gave me Cinnarizine, I looked it up and didnt know it's a travel sickness pill also known Stugeron. So far I dont get the motion sickness but suffer at times badly from from vertigo, but yesterday scared the pants off me big time!.

I was in the car with my mother, I went to get out (I allways get up slow) as I did and straightened up, I got the biggest scare of dizziness yet plus the focus on my eyes were kind of rolling/shaky, not blured but this, and felt very shaky/dizzy/scared, it lasted most of the day.

Even moving my head down or up made me dizzy and my eyes go shaky, I've never been so scared while suffering it. The doc's sending me to the ETN for tests but said it could take 6-8 weeks, but also said they might do (and I forgot what she called it) it's a movement of your head that they move/hold it in a certain position for a few secs or minutes to realign/settle ect "bubbles" of blood or air or something that might be the cause of this.

She said it can be a very scary and unpleasant experience.....it starts with an E but just cant remember

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Was doc today
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07 2012, 08:31 PM »
Hi Stu

Its the Epley Manoeuvre. they do it but teach you how to do it yourself next time. The crystals on the ear hair cells may have falllen off and Epley makes them stick back on again- sounds daft  but its true!

Good luck

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Stu63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07 2012, 10:32 PM »
Hi Chrissie

Yes that's it...I watched a couple of vids on Youtube, my god that's scary, so that's what the ENT might do when I'm there....the thing is, if after tests they do this, what happens when I sit up and the dizziness doesnt go away...that's scary

Offline martin53

• Visitor
  • Still looking for a better photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16 2012, 07:00 PM »
Hi Stu

I had an Epley type maneouvre done to me at ENT about 10 days ago since they said my onset of dizziness was due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). They first tested for BPPV by laying me down and getting me to move my head from one side to the other to see which side was affected - by symptoms of spinning and difficulty focusing eyes

Once they knew which side they did the Epley on that side. It was not at all traumatic and the doctor said that the maneouvre had a 85% chance of success - it did work for me and I followed up with daily Epley at home for a week or so and have not had that particular issue. So my experience was positive.

The aim apparently is to get crystals around into the upper chamber where they can dissipate naturally.

Hope this is positive

Regards

Martin