meniere

Author Topic: My hearing is getting very sensitive it's worrying  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Stu63

• View Profile
Especially my right ear....things like opening a bag of crips, sweets or anything with noisy paper...or turning a tap on, the the running water....when I hear these kind of things (and others I cant think of).......I get a sore crackling in the right ear and by balance starts to go unless I cover it with a finger ect.

I'm getting very worried.....it's one thing loosing your hearing, but another entirely when you loose it plus your balance going

Has anyone got this and if you do/did what was it....I know everyone's diffirent but it might give me an idea as to what might be wrong....the dr I saw the other day said it's not wax

NEWOSA65

Re: My hearing is getting very sensitive it's worrying
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13 2012, 09:15 PM »
Hi Stu,

Yes i had the just the same as what you describe in the early stages of the disease!  In fact i only mentioned this in a recent thread.

I think its to do with the excess water in the inner ear - the increase in pressure in the ear and on the cochlear!  The noises that you can ear - all amplified ( so makes the unwrapping of tin foil etc and what you describe above) used to make me cringe and cause feelings of dizziness and sometimes mild vertigo!

Hope this has helped?

Simon

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13 2012, 09:21 PM »
Hello Stu

As Simon says this does happen to some of us.  It can almost be painful especially the tin foil noise.  Don't worry it is part of the MD.

Take care.

Jojo

Offline Stu63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13 2012, 11:05 PM »
Simon....when the say the early stages, what can come next...I'm scared to ask but I will

NEWOSA65

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14 2012, 05:52 PM »
Hi Stu,

I am not sure if you are in stage 1 of the illness as unsure as to how long you have had this illness?  True Menieres normally follows three stages... first stage is normally infrequent attacks butcan still be severe, second stage can involve more frequent attacks with less periods of remission and third stage is normally the final stage of the illness by which time the hearing in affected ear/ears will be badly affected.  Also the attacks may continue or you may have reached 'burn out' by this stage.  Some sufferers may not suffer with much vertigo in the third stage but (some) may go on and experience sudden attacks better known as drop attacks.

I was so ill with this problem in second to last stage that i couldn't face anymore and just opted to have gentamicin which ended my vertigo for good!!!!  In hindsight i should have had this treatment many years before i did but truth is that until i joined the forum i had never heard of the treatment!  And even when i did hear about this treatment it was a battle to persuade my ENT to offer it to me!  Truth is that unless you do push for treatment chances are you will not be offered it (i'm talking about destructive treatments here such as gentamicin or the big ops such as labyrinthectomy or VNS, not steroid injections).

You may find that your Menieres will just disappear off and never become a problem!  Not all of us have it that bad, Stu.

Best wishes mate,

Simon