Author Topic: Wanted, good news about hearing loss!  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Anita

• View Profile
Wanted, good news about hearing loss!
« on: Sep 18 2012, 01:20 PM »
Hi. I'm new to MD. I was diagnosed one month ago with the symptoms becoming obvious at the end of June. Everywhere I read about the hearing loss which obviously worries me. Is anyone in remission who can tell me that their hearing has been slightly affected but not totally gone ? I read about " hearing loss" and wonder if it means you completely lose you hearing or does it mean partially lose their hearing? Does anyone get away without a hearing aid? Some positive stories of hope wanted if possible! Not too much negativity if poss, Thanks :)

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted, good news about hearing loss!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18 2012, 03:30 PM »
Hi Anita and welcome

I am in a period of remission - so far 24 months without a full attack. y struggle with supermarkets etc and have brief woozy moments. I still have tinnitus which is usually bearable as I,ve got used to it . My hearing is only 30% down in the affected ear so currently not affecting me at all, except occasionally I struggle to hear in  a crowded environmenet such as a pub. Ironically though, although your hearing is reduced, you become more sensetive to sound so things like sirens, hand dryers in loos, alarms etc are almost painful to the ear. Still, at the moment, I could have a lot worse the matter so I hope that heartens you somewhat.

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Anita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18 2012, 08:01 PM »
Thanks Chrissie, that is pleasing to know and I hope I may be the same! How long did you have severe MD for and any ideas what has halted it now? Fingers crossed for you that you stay as you are. Anita :)

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23 2012, 11:35 AM »
Hearing loss is a difficult one,as really everyone suffers to a different degree. I will not use me as an example as i had hearing loss in both ears before i even started with MD.

But yes it is likely that you will get some permanent loss but if you had good ears to start with hopefully it will not be too bad.Unless you are bilateral you will still have one good ear.

Hearing aids are very good these days and you will find that they will help if your ears get too bad.

My sister and her husband are both profoundly deaf ( not MD) and they cope very well. So don't let it get you down too much :)

Offline bluespurs

• Man on a mission to rid himself of MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26 2012, 07:42 PM »
Hello

In my case, my hearing fluctuated in the ear the md is attacking at that moment in time.

My right ear was very bad at the start but returned to more manageable levels within 8 months. Its not perfect but it seemed to ease up and not be as bad as the hammer blow when I first got it. It has never been back to the start up levels since dec 2010. So I hope this gives you hope.

Same happened to my left ear 2 months ago, for some reason, (maybe its just me) When it starts or in a bad spell it is bad, but it does recover somewhat, not to how it was previously but enough to make my life manageable.

Speaking for myself, dont believe every post you read, my audiologist 100% believes that I will not go totally deaf. He tells me that out of his 20 plus md patients that not one of them is totally deaf, he also tells me that one patient there has had it for 30 years and her hearing although not great has not reduced dramatically in that time. Not everyone suffers with the same degree of symptoms.

My Audiologist might be wrong, where im concerned, but you just dont know. So just see what happens and try to stay positive.
When reading forums, keep an open mind and take positives out of them and not just the negatives. Thats what I do. Thats how these forums have helped me.

Best regards
No matter how hard we try
the man can never hear us cry
we could scream and yell
but he is in his heaven while we're in our hell!!!

Offline Anita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02 2012, 10:20 AM »
Thank you Harry and Bluespurs for your positive responses and I find it reassuring to know your stories, thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.  :)