meniere

Author Topic: Driving  (Read 4499 times)

suzygirl

Driving
« on: Oct 18 2012, 07:42 PM »
Hi, when I haven't driven for a few months due to MD symptoms mainly balance/perception issues, on the advice of GP and ENT.

Having now been formally diagnosed with MD and told to advise DVLA, I am now entering unknown territory.

The DVLA told me I either hand my licence back or go through medicals with them contacting my GP and ENT.  The consultant said if the attacks were controlled by the meds I could drive.  On the whole the drop attacks now tend to happen whenI am tired or ill.  Trouble is I have absolutely no warning, they come out of the blue.  My balance/perception is also permanently affected.

Whats the best way to proceed?  Any advice?  I will continue not to drive for the forseeable future by choice as I don't feel safe, however if this changes I want to be able to drive.

Any info gratefully recieved.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18 2012, 08:13 PM »
If you have no warning, you will not be able to drive until you are at least 3 months free of attacks and to be honest, that is how it should be as no warnings could be very dangerous for you, your passengers and other road users.
You have to download form DIZ1 from the Directgov DVLA site and answer the questions. If they are happy with your answers , you can continue to drive unless your situation changes but if there is any concern, DVLA will contact your GP or consultant for their views. You must also tell your insurers. If you fail to tell DVLA or insurance that you have MD, you are commmitting a criminal offence and that could have serious consequences , especially if an accident occurred.
You say you have chosen not to drive but unfortunately that is not enough legally, it is your  repsonsibility to inform DVLA of this horrid condition.I know that feels very tough and people want to retain independence but I think its fair in terms of personal and public safety .
If you make progress and the attacks get under control, you can apply for your licence back and they seem to be quite reasonable about this.  Most local authorities will give you a free bus pass if you are stopped from driving for this reason.Hope that helps
Chrissie
Chrissieg

suzygirl

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19 2012, 08:18 PM »
Thanks Chrissie, I have so far complied with legal requirements.   My choice to not drive is a clear indication of how seriously I take my responsibilities, thanks for the  reminder.

I have not driven for over 6 months so I do not harm my passengers or anyone else.  This was before MD was diagnosed so it is clear I am aware of dangers and legalities.  I do take this very seriously as I hate drink drivers who hurt others but not themselves.    Despite great inconvenience to myself and my family, I am not driving.

Anyway, has anyone gone through the medical questionnaires or voluntarily licence revoke?  I am fully aware of legal requirements etc, and I already have a free bus pass.  I am more interested in the best way to protect  my licence in case things change in the future and I am able to drive again.

Anyone?

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20 2012, 05:15 PM »
There isnt a medical questionnaire as such,its just that DIZ1 form with questions about when was your last attack, do you have warning what medication are you on and who you see about your MD. If you have warning, they will probably let you keep your licence but it sounds as though you dont. When you dont have warning, they usually write to your GP or consultant for their views and then rescind your licence pending improvement. In that case, you would have to wait at least 3 months from your last attack to apply for your licence back. Enen if you voluntarily send your licence back, they would require evidence of your cuurent medical situation to get it back again.There isnt any way to hedge your bets I,m afraid.

I,m afraid also that the legal bit is not about choosing whether to drive and making a personal choice about your safety. You are only legal if you have sent off the form and retained the licence because they said you can. Its all about the licence and not about the personal judgement to leave the car in the drive however responsible we are because sadly some people just arent.
I,m sorry if I sound a bit bossy but I work in the courts and am legally trained so have seen the consequences of some problems in this area. I think its better to have the full facts than be in trouble through misunderstanding.
Good luck with it all
Chrissie
Chrissieg

suzygirl

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20 2012, 08:47 PM »
Chrissie, thanks for your help.  I have contacted the DVLA, and was given the choice over whether to personally hand my licence back or go through the medical route.  I have chosen the medical questionnaire.  Even if cleared to drive, for the forseeable future I won't be driving.  Which is where I think you may be understanding me.

I am fully following legal procedure, however I have questions over the procedure.  I appreciate your knowledge. 

I guess I shall have to go through the procedure alone.   ( Legally as I was doing anyway).  I just wanted a few tips.  If I was after advice to fill in a DLA form, I would be knee deep in advice, insane!!!  I am not trying to cheat the system, I take my responsibilities far too seriously. Just trying to understand an area I am unfamiliar with.

suzygirl

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20 2012, 10:22 PM »
Just a quick thought, it may be because I was slow reporting to the DVLA you are concerned.  I was actually diagnosed with MD whilst as an inpatient with a severe systemic body infection.  It has taken me a month to recover,  I am not an atypical case.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21 2012, 11:12 AM »
Sounds as though you have experienced a terrible period recently and I hope you see some improvement on all fronts very soon. My understanding of your initial post was that you had no warnings of attacks and that your perceptions are badly affected but you were hoping to choose personally  not to drive now in the hope that you would see some real progress and then be able to drive again quickly without having to wait for red tape approval , which can take a while if your licence is rescinded.

Anyway, you are clearly doing all the right things and I understand how worrying it can be , especially if you have a lifestyle which relies on private transport a lot. I hope you have lots of other support around who can help if necessary. You certainly find out who are your real friends when you get MD.
Hope you do see some settling down of the symptoms very soon
Regards
Chrissie
Chrissieg

suzygirl

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21 2012, 05:53 PM »
Thanks Chrissie.  I was actually asking how difficult is was to get your licence back once its been revoked. I have no doubt it will be taken.  As you say I have drop attacks with no warnings.  Although I have not had one for a few months, I have no idea when they will return.  Add to that the balance and perception issues and I don't feel well enough to drive anymore.

I suppose really I am after hope I may drive again one day.  I am fiercely independent and hate having to ask others for lifts.

I am also not very clear about expressing myself  :-[

suzygirl

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23 2012, 09:07 PM »
Just had a letter today from the DVLA telling me that no further action is required.  They will not be pursuing medical route as they are satisfied that I am safe to drive.

My computer  won't allow me to download the form DIZ1 so called them to send it to me.  This is heir response it must be a mistake surely?

I am not well enough to drive.  I did note the M society can send you the form, although that feels cheeky.  Shall I get the form and send iti n?  I don't feel they have properly assessed my condition or am I fussing?

My gut feel is to pursue it further and send the form off. Any advice?  Or would youl eave it?

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23 2012, 11:06 PM »
Not sure Suzy, sounds very puzzling. What are they basing that decision on- have they had a letter or something from your Doctor, although I think you said he had said you mustnt drive?
Does sound like a mistake but I can see there would be a temptation to take them at their word. I think you must do what feels right for you.
You do need to tell your insurers too and they want to know the DVLA result. They wont be very interested as they cannot increase your premium for this but you should note when you informed them in case of any future issues.
I guess you could do without even more complications!
Take care
Chrissie
Chrissieg

suzygirl

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24 2012, 10:44 AM »
I am going to contact the Menieres society and get them to send me the DIZ form for the DVLA.  I will fill it in and then send it off.  I will feel I have done my bit then.

suzygirl

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27 2012, 11:57 AM »
The DVLA have sent me the forms DIZ1 to fill in or I can just hand my license back.  I am going to hand my license back I think, rather than go through all the medicals and be told no driving, it seems silly.

I am not well enough to drive so seems pointless.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10 2012, 02:13 PM »
Just catching up with this and Chrissie is right Suzy .I also don't understand how the DVLA can say your are ok to drive unless your missed the tick box where it asks if you get warning of attacks .To retain your licence whether or not you use it is not correct procedure .To clarify :
1. Everyone with a medical condition that might affect their ability to drive has to complete DIZI1 by law (available from the DVLA website only ) .
2. Subject to the DVLA being satisfied most people with warning of attacks get to retain their licence .
3. All people with no warning of attacks have to surrender their licence by law and have to be attack free for atleast 3 months before they can apply to get it back . If you hand your licence back it may prove more complicated in the long run as you will have to re-apply and indicate why you surrended it then go through the medical route eventually anyway .
 Hope this helps
Elaine x

suzygirl

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10 2012, 03:45 PM »
I have sent my license back this week.   Its not just the dizziness, I am having vision problems, have leg weakness,numb feet and perception issues.

Guess you are all glad I have done this  ;D

I haven' driven for months anyway due to this so it is just a formality for me.