Author Topic: How do you cope with the balance/perception issues?  (Read 4267 times)

suzygirl

How do you cope with the balance/perception issues?
« on: Oct 18 2012, 07:48 PM »
I have struggled with this for years and now it has got pretty bad.  I misjudge distances, my brain can't compute escalators or floors with glass sides with a drop etc.

It affects my driving due to distance and objects perception being out.   Is this me being odd?  The ENT said it was all part of it.  I do have it in both ears and it has been a long time.  Due to other health problems I have left it till drop attacks and permanent hearing loss to get it sorted so maybe damage has been done.

I get a lot of earache as well and can't even tolerate my glasses touching my ear sometimes, which is why I don't think I could cope with a hearing aid.  Just the phone anywhere near my ear hurts at the moment although I do have a sinus infection.

I wonder if any help is available for this?  Not sure I have explained it very well, so feel free to ask questions to clarify.  Or just agree if you have similar.

Thanks

suzygirl

Re: How do you cope with the balance/perception issues?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19 2012, 08:11 PM »
I was reading about MD from the Menieres society website.  My symptoms fit oscillipia (sp) bouncy and blurred vision.  The nerves around the ear appear to be affected.  Not sure if it is my cervical spondylosis or MD.  My head is sensitive, no hair up or hair bands or glasses touching my ear or side of my head, it hurts too much.

Any one else get this?

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19 2012, 09:10 PM »
Hello Suzygirl

I often wonder what is causing what with my Menieres Disease as I also have Cervical Spondylosis.  I also get bouncy and blurred vision.  I have had Spondylosis for around 5/6 years and have had Menieres for around a year now. My vision problems started around the same time as my Menieres so I blame the Menieres for those problems. At one time my blurred vision really worried me so I had an eye test and basically I was told everything was fine and to carry on wearing the glasses I had for reading as they were the correct strength for my eyes.

I have noticed on very overcast days that when my ears are really full of pressure that my blurred vision is worse. I do not get any pain in or around my ears, but it feels as though my left ear is numb.  I am very deaf in that ear too and have persistant Tinnitus.

So I would take a guess and say that the vision side of things is more to do with Menieres rather than Spondylosis.  I may be wrong.  Maybe others on this site with both Menieres and Cervical Spondylosis would like to add their experiences to this topic.

I hope this is of some help!!!

Jojo

suzygirl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19 2012, 10:04 PM »
Hi Jojo, nice to meet you and thanks for your insights.  Sorry you have both conditions as well. 

Although it is distressing to hear that others suffer I find it comforting to know that others have the same.  It makes you feel less alone.  I suppose now it appears to be a permanent feature I am finding it hard.  When it is was transitory, I coped.  Now it seems just depressing to think no treatment can help, and it may get worse.

What do you do?

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19 2012, 10:57 PM »
Hello Suzygirl

Nice to meet you too!!! I think it would be interesting to hear from others with Spondylosis as well as Menieres on this site.

I have ME/CFS as well.  I have had that for many years now!!  I just can not seem to get rid of it!! I know of others who have had it a long time too. I also have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both of my hands.  A couple of months ago I had a Carpel Tunnel release operation on my right hand and next Tuesday I am due to have my left hand done.

I don't know about you but I seem to get one thing after another.  I also had Graves Disease 7 years ago.  In the end I had to have Radio Active Iodine treatment basically to stop my Thyroid working and now I take Thyroxine.

I take Betahistine and Frusimide for the Menieres. Are you on any medication to help with your Menieres?.  Just out of interest do you take anything for your Spondylosis. At the moment I take Co-codomol which really helps with the pain from it.  I was given 6 sessions of Physio and exercises to do at home for the Spondylosis.  But, now I have Menieres I find it almost impossible to do these exercises because having to tip my head from side to side makes me dizzy and makes me feel sick.  Also I worry about getting Vertigo from tipping my head too much.  It almost feels like a vicious circle at the moment!!

I agree with you totally that it does seem depressing when the pressure never goes away.  My pressure was on and off at the start now I have the pressure all the time especially in my left ear. I agree also that it makes you feel so a lone, as I know I have felt like that at times. Getting in touch with other sufferers like yourself is really helpful mentally.

Look forward to hearing from you again!!!

Jojo x

suzygirl

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22 2012, 09:10 AM »
Hi Jo

It does seem as though one thing goes wrong with your body, other ailments quickly follow.  I have a 'collection' myself.  With regards to the spondylosis and MD.  My mom has spondylosis and vertigo etc but not MD.  Her problems are definitely related to her neck.

Its really weird, I am struggling with MD symptoms at the moment, especially the deafness but it is a very' hidden' illness.  Also as I have other illnesses, I am embarrassed at admitting I have yet another one.

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18 2013, 08:16 PM »
My head is sensitive, no hair up or hair bands or glasses touching my ear or side of my head, it hurts too much.

Any one else get this?

Hello! Does your hair actually "hurt"? Mine does often also it hurts when you wear a hat too. My hair is quite short and that seems to help. It sometimes feels as if someone is also inserting needles in to my head where my hair is.

Have you tried chewing gum? That is "supposed" to help with earache and supposed to ward off ear infections. Don't be embarrassed at admitting you have another illnesses. I am the same.

My balance is terrible now and I am always walking into things and cannot cope with paths/slopes etc...

suzygirl

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19 2013, 04:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I struggle with slopes etc as well.  Sorry to hear you suffer as well.

I haven't tried chewing gum, interesting idea!

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25 2013, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I struggle with slopes etc as well.  Sorry to hear you suffer as well.

I haven't tried chewing gum, interesting idea!

Sorry, to hear you are the same with slopes etc.

Chewing gum (mint) is also good if you feel sick.

Offline nellie1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11 2013, 07:14 AM »
Periodically my hair makes my head sting and feel sore. The bone area immediately behind my ears sometimes swells up and protudes, very strange.