Author Topic: Hearing Aid questions  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Vicki

• View Profile
Hearing Aid questions
« on: Oct 22 2012, 11:48 AM »
I'm due for my first hearing aid fitting soon and want to have as much information as possible  :)
1. I know I need to make sure it has a volume control, anything else I need to make sure it has?
2. What's the difference between an ear mould and the little tube/dome things? Why do you get a ear mould rather than a tube?
3. What's the chances of me getting a nice coloured one?
4. Any other advice?
I may add to these questions as I think of them, sorry if you see this twice, I posted to facebook too

Thank-you  :D

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Hearing Aid questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22 2012, 01:31 PM »
Hi Vicki,

You will find that a hearing aid will make a big difference but it must be programmed correctly.

Tell them about any tinitus you have and if you are sensitive to certain sounds. Whilst it takes a bit of time to adjust to it don't be afraid to go back if you feel it needs adjusting.

The ear mould if very important as it helps with the quality of the sound your ears change all the time and you should get a new ear mould done every couple of years and the plastic tube to the ear mould should be replaced every 3 months. You can do that yourself.

I don't know about different colours. I know you can get them but i don't know how.

Hearing aids help alot but there will be times when your ears fluctuate that it doesn't work so well. The volume control may help but if you get distorted sound it will just make the bad sound worse!

Good luck

Harry

Offline bluespurs

• Man on a mission to rid himself of MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06 2012, 03:38 PM »
Hi

Hearing aids ideally need at least 5 seperate settings, this helps with fluctuating hearing.
Tinnitus maskers in the hearing aids are very helpful. Pink and white noise.
Only had tubes and domes, the tubes as opposed to ear moulds are more discreet which i prefer.
If private you can usually choose your colour, if nhs, not much choice.
I also have a minitek for my aids, this connects me to the phone the tv and bluetooth, very useful. I had to buy myself.
Pick the right aids by trying and dont go for the best looking ones with not much power to them.
They are extremely expensive for good ones as you are most probably aware.
If you buy one aid and not two privately, be aware they are forever upgrading aids and you might not be able to get a secondary matching hearing aid when required.

Hope this helps.
No matter how hard we try
the man can never hear us cry
we could scream and yell
but he is in his heaven while we're in our hell!!!

Offline Glyneal

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11 2013, 11:14 PM »
Hi

I was diagnosed with MD last year and referred to a Hearing Clinic. I have aids in both ears with Pink noise programmed in one for the tinnitus bliss when it is bad. I have the tubes and so discreet and effective. They have really helped me habituate the noise.  I have also been loaned the Siemans Tek Bluetooth remote for my phone and TV. Great talking to work to have my office set up for it.  :goodstuff:

Good luck with yours take some getting used to but persevere worth it