meniere

Author Topic: 2013 - unlucky for some  (Read 688 times)

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
2013 - unlucky for some
« on: Jan 07 2013, 10:03 AM »
Hi guys, sorry I've been away so long.

Last year I came up with an idea to do 13 charity events in 2013 (unlucky for some ie me but also sufferers) to raise money for the Menieres Society (and/ or any other relevant charity), raise as much publicity as possible and generally do my bit. Anyway I got cold feet about it (scared) have so much on in my life and of course managing the illness. Anyway, life is good, and I have had a change of heart. I have registered for the Paris marathon (france once being the home of our very own Prosper Meniere) to kick it off and I shall end by climbing Kilimanjaro over the new year. I'll pay all costs myself. My reason for posting is twofold, obviously I want to raise money, but also to see if anyone wants to join in? I can't raise that much on my own so to do all 13 I need help, participants, people I know will only give once or twice, but if one or two sufferers, family members did an event or two here or there as well then the publicity and funds are doubled, trebled and there is a central theme running through it. Does it make sense? Is it doable? Would anyone be interested? I think a few Meniere's sufferers/ family members attempting to climb Kili at the end of a year of fundraising is newsworthy of a fashion? Or am I deluded? It is also bloody irresponsible and exciting... two of my favourite things. I also haven't thought of all the events but that's ok. I need help there too.

thoughts so far, none of which I have done before

-Paris marathon
-Roller Skating marathon (goodwood one is on this year I think)
-skydive
-triathlon
-3 peaks challenge
-london to brighton bikeride- on a tandem, with another Menierian on the back
-I would like to get permission to climb the steps in the shard, but haven't looked into it yet
-24hour fast on xmas day (so many could join in with this and it could raise loads of money and awareness)
-climb kili

thats 9 good events so far and a few that people could join in with - maybe 4 more doable ones?

Does it sound like a good idea, would people help/ join in? Do you think it could raise publicity? I don't fear doing the events, I just need some help with fund raising and joining in.

Thoughts? Honest ones, don't just be positive.
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 - unlucky for some
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07 2013, 03:40 PM »
Fantastic proposition, and I wish you great luck, but given that I thought I was doing very well being able to look at the greetings cards section of the newsagents today, I think this is all a bit ambitious for me.  (Mind you, it would have been too ambitious for me before I got MD!)
There are some amazingly active people on here, so...

Offline potters whirl

• vis unita fortior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07 2013, 08:53 PM »
I've been there Jeanette, and I'm sorry you are there. I'm not expecting anyone to do anything. I hope to get some support from those that can. Either give, make people give or come along.

thank you for your reply,

peace
PW
mostly, you'll find me doing exactly what I shouldn't be

Offline Jane G

• Trusted member
  • Me on a good day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07 2013, 09:12 PM »
Well how brilliant are you, and a great idea.  Definitely puts my annual coffee morning into perspective!  I'm sorry but I'm not able to do too much physically these days but would happily sponsor you and anyone else who volunteers.  We are very lucky to have someone so passionate not only to raise money but also improve awareness.  Definitely helps to know, especially on a really bad day with this blasted thing, that there are people fighting our corner, bless you.

Kind regards
Be Positive, It Helps!!