meniere

Author Topic: Menieres and Yoga  (Read 5797 times)

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Menieres and Yoga
« on: Jan 24 2013, 08:14 PM »
Just wondered if anyone with Menieres has tried or is doing Yoga.

I am fairly active on most days but following a bout of awful anxiety I just wondered if yoga would be of any help to me.  I would like to be more active but having the constant pain of Spondylosis does restrict me some what.  But, I am willing to give anything a go. Obviously I would need to tell the teacher that I have Menieres.

Does anybody think this is a good idea and do you think it would be helpful.  Feed back from others who have tried yoga or still do yoga would be great.

Thank you.

Jojo

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: Menieres and Yoga
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24 2013, 09:22 PM »
Never tried it sorry but I would have thought gentle exercise would be good for you
Em x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Sianybee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24 2013, 09:38 PM »
I do yoga. have done since my diagnosis on recommendation of my doctor and I love it!!! it has0helped relax my body and mind whilst getting supple and more toned and I lost half a stone doing it. . I am gutted atm as my yoga teacher is away for a month so I now need to motivate myself to practice at home ha ha . we meditate for half an hour at the end too which is great

give it a go for sure. I was told I have lost half my balance function but I never ever feel off balance and am able to all the poses even the ones on one leg :)

doc says if we can improve our posture then blood flow  will improve and this0in turn  will help our symptoms

Offline wootywoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28 2013, 01:39 PM »
Hi jojo,i just posted elsewhere that i do pilates,i just wondered if maybe it would suit you better than yoga as you have spondylosis - i only started pilates to help loosen my spine and strengthen my core and back muscles after a back injury.It's helped far more than i expected,and if you explain to the teacher than you have problems with balance and back pain they can adapt the exercises for you,and you can hold onto a wall for support if you struggle balance wise.i found an extra care class for people with joint/back problems and described my menieres symptoms in the health questionaire they gave me.i thought i would struggle to balance but to my surprise it was only a problem for the first few sessions and the quiet peacful atmosphere helps loads.

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28 2013, 03:12 PM »
Thank you so much for you helpful post.  Never thought of Pilates so will look into that.  I just feel that the level of anxiety I experienced before Christmas was so awful.  I feel some form of gentle exercise would be good for me and would help me to relax a bit more!!!  I am quite active anyway but with ducks and hens to look after it is not an activity that is really relaxing if you know what I mean. Although I love spending time outside with them. Filling buckets with water and cleaning their hotels out etc etc keeps my back moving but to be honest it is probably to strenuous for my worn discs.  But, none the less I still want to stay active so that is why I have considered yoga.

Thanks again Jojox

Offline joe pearlman

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05 2013, 11:30 AM »
I have been doing pilates for the past five years, having been prescribed it by Peter Savundra, and have not had an attack since. I went to him because I had been getting three attacks a week for about six months, and was starting to get a little depressed by it all.

He explained that for reasons he and other researchers (at the time) did not understand, when an attack occurs, the brain rejects all signals from the inner ear even though 80% of them are correct. Pilates strengthens the core muscles, which provide additional balance signals. Since starting pilates I have experienced the start of an attack about six times, but then within 10 seconds it has dissipated, so it seems that the core muscles are indeed doing the expected job.

I should add a qualification to this, that  am a partly burnt out case, and when I went to see Dr Savundra, I was already experiencing major loss of hearing in one ear. Fortunately this has not extended to the other ear, and it would be interesting to know whether this is due to the pilates.

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06 2013, 10:24 PM »
Hello Joe

Thank you for sharing your experience with Menieres and Pilates.  So pleased it has helped you!!

I have not taken up anything as yet as my Spondylosis has been so bad over this past year.  Still gardening and keeping my neck and back moving though.  I am due to see someone at my local pain clinic in the next month or two in order to have steroid/anesthetic injections to ease the constant pain.  When I have had this done and the pain has settled I shall certainly look in to Pilates.  From what I remember there is a local class near me.  So shall look in to it shortly.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Take care.

Jojo x