meniere

Author Topic: Diuretics - any advice?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Mumofthree

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Diuretics - any advice?
« on: Feb 19 2013, 09:38 PM »
Hi after seeing ENT consultant today she said she's happy for me to try Diuretics as the next step although there's no evidence that they help, I'm going back in 3 months so will need to make my mind up on whether to try or not, just wondering if anyone has tried them and did they help?
Thanks

Offline Anita

• View Profile
Re: Diuretics - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20 2013, 08:08 AM »
I'm keen to know this too!

Offline Angel_UK1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20 2013, 10:17 AM »
Hi I was prescribed a water tablet on the 25th January this year, they are called Furosemide 20mg. I took them on the same day as I had a huge spin and was 50/50 on whether they were working or not. After 5 days I stopped taking them due to constantly needing to pee, it drove me crazy. Anyway in the 2 days I did not take them I did notice my ears felt funny again and muffled, almost like my MD was gonna hit again, so I rang my GP to request a smaller dose to be told I had the smaller one :tired:  He suggested splitting them in half and taking 10mg a day, which I have been doing for over a week, no bad spins, a few minor ones, but the kind that pass in a matter of minutes, still feel like my head is stuffed full of cotton wool, but hey I do think they do help.

They are NOT an instant cure but anything that helps to reduce the severity of my attacks I am willing to try. My advice would be to try them, if they work for you great if they don't at least you tried them  :)

Offline Angel_UK1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20 2013, 10:22 AM »
Just a quick add on since my last severe attack, I have also dropped nearly all processed food out of my diet everything is no salt some is low salt, I did also have my betahistine upped to 6 a day at the same time but i have done it gradually, So maybe I feel a bit less spinny as a combination of all of them. I also bought one of those weird v shaped pillows and have not felt really dizzy when waking.xx.

suzygirl

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20 2013, 11:45 AM »
I take a water tablet bendofluraside (sp?), it helped with my drop attacks but the general dizzy feeling and balance has not improved.  I have continued as it bought my blood pressure down as well, which was a problem I was already on meds for.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20 2013, 11:46 AM »
I have used them in the past but did not really notice any difference.

Offline Jane G

• Trusted member
  • Me on a good day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21 2013, 06:47 AM »
Hi there, I believe they really helped me, my right ear was playing up badly about 18 months ago, started taking 2 x 2 mg tabs daily and no spins, defo worth a go, didn't have any side effects
Be Positive, It Helps!!

Offline claireabell73

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23 2013, 12:21 AM »
I was prescribed a the beginning of Nov 12 by the end of Nov I was off work sick and still am.  The symptoms increased and I felt shocking - I stopped taking them under GP's advice at the beginning of Jan and prescribed Citarrizine to take alongside Betahistine instead and feel like it is improving.  I'm now waiting to see another ENT Consultant because the previous one was of no help whatsoever - frustrated.com

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23 2013, 12:35 AM »
I was prescribed them by my ENT consultant.  I have to say after 6 weeks I felt worse than ever and felt dreadful and so so tired.  I felt much better 2 days after stopping them.

This was my experience.  Others on the forum have had good results from them. So may be worth you trying them and seeing how you get on with them.

Jojox

NEWOSA65

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23 2013, 12:14 PM »
The best diuretic is the Bendrofluazide tablet - two strengths are available... 2.5mg and 5mg.  Personally when i look back I should never have accepted the daily dose of 5mg which i took for 7 years!!!  It completely removed my potassium and messed up my electrolytes as it also removes other vital minerals!!  After the first 5 years of taking this medication, I also finished up with chronic muscle inflexiblity which also led to two frozen shoulders!!  Along with the stupid low salt diet I went from 14 stone down to 9 stone, I looked so unhealthy and felt awful everyday!

Diuretics seem to work well initially - they tend to help to put this thing into remission.  However, if the MD is bad enough, it will return and from then on further periods of remission tend to become less.  I got so bad that I never had any periods of remission!  (despite what the experts say that this illness 'comes and goes' what a load of bull that is).

My attacks became horrendous - 4 weekly attacks lasting 5 - 8 hours despite continuing with the diuretic and the sodium restricted diet.

In hindsight i should have said no to this medication after the first 3 years of trying it and had the gentamicin then.  However, NO ONE told me about the gentamicin or steroid inections, I was only advised about the stupid saccus decompression op which I had and surprise surprise, failed.

My advise to anyone on here who is suffering badly with this illness is to at least have a grommet fitted and try out the intratmpanic steroid injections.

Life is too short to keep losing more and more precious time...

If anyone wants any further advice please reply on here or pm me or if you would like a chat 07817487233 (after 8:30pm).

Also, sorry to all who have pm'd me and have not had any replies.... my dad has recently died and I am finding it all hard to deal with at the minute.

Cheers,

Simon

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25 2013, 07:03 PM »
Simon you are in my thoughts I hope you can find a way to deal with this incredibly sad time and dont get ill as a result of the stress - look after yourself the best you can and give that little man of yours extra big cuddles and kisses xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Halla1001

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03 2013, 07:51 PM »
I have taken spironolactone for about 5 years.  I didn't want to take it at first because diuetics used to make my heart flutter but as a last resort I tried 25 mg and had a tube put in my left ear.....didn't like the tube and it came about in about a year.....the attacks minimized and now usually only have maybe one bad one a year, otherwise, impending attacks can be treated with valium.....so for me, I think the diuretics helped a great deal and it also eliminated the "leaking" I would have from my left eye.

Barbara