Author Topic: The best dairyfree/vegan cheese I have ever tasted!  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
The best dairyfree/vegan cheese I have ever tasted!
« on: Mar 12 2013, 08:38 PM »
Hello

I was supposed to have posted this a little while ago. We have Lactose Intolerance and really struggle for food ideas. Cheese is a "real problem" - we miss it, it is not the same. In fact it is horrible. :-X We found a suggestion on a veggie web-site to try Engevita  - Marigold nutritional yeast flakes. (The yeast is inactive). It is so nice! ( Just like Cheeselets) it has vitamins in it too.

If anyone else has any other ideas for food please can you let me know. We love to try different foods etc....

NEWOSA65

Re: The best dairyfree/vegan cheese I have ever tasted!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12 2013, 09:14 PM »
Hi, provided that you're not intollerant to the protein in the milk then to correct you're Lactose intollerance you could buy some lactase tablets.  You can buy this enzyme from any pharmacist store and this should correct your problem and enable you to eat ordinary cheeses again.  In my case, I can easily digest dairy products but the protein in the milk causes me big problems which leads to chronic sinus problems which in turn leads to migraines and Menieres symptoms.  I have the same problem with Grains eg., Rolled Oats etc - once again, can easily digest, but the protein in Grains known as Gluten causes me to have the same problems as the dairy produce!!!  Spaghetti is slightly better as it has less protein than most other grains.  However I do tend to avoid all Cereals and all dairy products.  HOpe this has helped you :)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17 2013, 09:47 PM »
Hello! Thank for your help and advice and a great Message Board.  ;D   Sadly, we tried Lactase tablets and they did not work. Thank you for suggesting it though as some people may not be aware of them. Sorry, to hear you are about the same as us food wise.

Were you actually diagnosed Coeliac? (If you didn't mind me asking). I have had Coeliac tests etc... I am not Coeliac. But Porridge can make me feel really bad. I'm glad you have found out what makes you feel bad and avoid it. I still cannot believe if you are funny with a certain food etc.. what damage it actually does to the body. 

NEWOSA65

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17 2013, 10:01 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply... it sounds as if you may have a problem with the protein in dairy and wheat?  I am not Coeliac, I just cannot cope with the problems I have 2 or 3 days after consuming dairy or wheat products.  Problem is that most foods contain wheat and dairy!  However, in small amounts i am fine - example, i have a spot milk in my tea etc and eat bread (white bread) .  Brown bread would not agree with me as too much gluten in it.  I have just learned to live with this problem.  Its not the end of the world as i am able to eat nearly everything else out there.  Mind you, the low salt diet hasn't helped but I generally have a medium salt diet thesedays as i am not convinced that salt is a major issue for us Menieres sufferers.  Have you tried the tru - food products in tesco?  Supposed to be dairy/wheat free etc but then some folks have problems with soya and corn based products! Cheers, S:)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20 2013, 07:41 PM »
Hello, Thank you very much for your help! :) You are right about the wheat problem! My Doctor also suggested to go Gluten Free and see how I was with it.

Sorry, you are not very good with them too. I agree that most foods have these in them. It is a nightmare! You are lucky to be able to have small amounts. I don't think I can do that now. I haven't been able to eat brown bread for years etc...

I think I will have to think like you do - learn to live with this problem (I have to think how I feel if I eat anything with Gluten/Dairy in it) . I don't really know what I would have done if you not have suggested Gluten. I have been in so much pain. - Too painful to eat some days. Some of the Gluten Free cereals are not too bad and I managed to eat some Gluten free Porridge without feeling bad yesterday.

Thank you for suggesting Tru food products from Tesco. I have raided their online shopping web-site! lol... M and S have some nice foods. Gluten Free Soup, lovely rolls etc.....

We are not sure either about the Low salt diet. - Mum and myself both have MD and we have always never had a lot of salt in our diet. So, we could not really cut down anyway. Thanks for the warning about soya/corn based products.

Thank you ;D